Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Opinions on home-brewed monster (5e) [closed]

Siolia

I'm trying to set up a one shot but I couldn't find a monster that fit what I wanted them to fight.

Think Kuromori from Shadow of the Colossus

Its gonna be 4 lvl 5 PCs, but I don't really want these guys to fight it, but if they did I don't want it to be a party wipe. You know, scare them but not utter destruction...

Like theyd take a hit, realize it's too strong and run.

So I took bits and pieces from a few different enemies...namely Red Dragon Wyrmling, Salamander, and Azer. But, I wanted it to be a REALLY BIG monster, kuromori-size (like two humans stacked on top of each other)

Its called Sol'mandr'a

Str = 21 (5) (+7 to hit)
Dex = 10 (0) (AC = 12)
Con = 18 (4) (HP = 90???)
Int = 12 (1)
Wis = 14 (2) (Perception is 12)
Cha = 17 (3)

Immune to fire, vulnerable to cold
Spiderclimb
Illuminated body (20 foot light comes from body)
Heated body - if touched directly or attacked within 5 feet and succeeded, 2d6 fire dmg

Its REALLY hot, so I thought maybe also if players get within 20 ft, DC 10 or take 1d4 dmg from heat, 10 ft of monster DC 13 or take 1d6 dmg or 5 ft DC 15 or take 1d8

Tail atk +7 to hit, 1d6 dmg (if successful, DC 15 con save or 2d6 fire dmg)

Bite +7 to hit, 1d4 dmg (if successful, DC 15 dex or 2d6 fire and grappled)??

Fire breath weapon...

The whole purpose is to sneak in, grab an egg and leave so...I dont REALLY want them touching it, but if they do, I want them to have a chance? I'm giving them a heat-resistant pill at the beginning which should (if they remember to take it at the right time) make moot the saving throws for heat dmg unless they get actually hit or actually try to hit it.

I might reduce the HP also...

Please give me your opinions!
Claine Moderator

I can see why you're nervous about this encounter. In terms of stats, it's almost bang-on to a Young Red Dragon. However, there are two major differences - the Sol'mandr'a has almost half the HP and only 12 AC.

A young red dragon has a challenge rating of 10 which could mean bad news for your party.

xEizXDL.png

At 12 AC they'd have to try pretty hard to miss it and with only 90 HP I imagine they could drop it. So I'm mildly optimistic for their survival chances... but also very nervous!
Siolia Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
I can see why you're nervous about this encounter. In terms of stats, it's almost bang-on to a Young Red Dragon. However, there are two major differences - the Sol'mandr'a has almost half the HP and only 12 AC.

A young red dragon has a challenge rating of 10 which could mean bad news for your party.

xEizXDL.png

At 12 AC they'd have to try pretty hard to miss it and with only 90 HP I imagine they could drop it. So I'm mildly optimistic for their survival chances... but also very nervous!

Ah, yeah, I wanted somewhere between wyrmling and young dragon, since it was bigger sized than medium but I wanted less challenging than cr 10...

So I should maybe make it str 19, con 16, ch 15?
Ryu

Hi!

Remember you can use Legendary Actions and Lair actions to beef up your Big BOI to establish that this dude is not to be trifled with.

I went ahead and made my variation of your big bad with this tool. https://5e.tools/crcalculator.html, Its pretty helpful in gauging how strong your creature will be against your party so you don't destroy them absolutely. I also used this tool to see what CR for a single monster for the party of that size and level it should be to be a "HARD" encounter https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/calc/enc_size.html

Sol'mandr'a

Huge beast, any alignment

Armor Class 15 Plates - Natural
Hit Points 110 (12d12+35)
Speed 40 ft., walk 40 ft.

STR 17 (+3)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 18 (+4)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 17 (+3)

Saving Throws DEX +3, CON +7, WIS +4, CHA +6
Skills Intimidation +14
Damage Vulnerabilities Cold
Damage Immunities Fire
Senses Passive Perception 11
Languages --
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Actions

Spiderclimb

Illuminated body (20 foot light comes from body)

Bite: +5 to hit, 1d4 dmg + Heated Body 2d6 Fire damage

Tail: atk +5 to hit, 1d6 dmg + Heated Body 2d6 Fire Damage

Fire Breath: exhales fire in a 40-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Roar: Each creature that fails a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw is frightened for 1 minute. A frightened creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Reactions

Heated body - if touched directly or attacked within 5 feet and succeeded, 2d6 fire dmg.

Lair Actions

On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the monster takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the monster can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:

HEAT EXPULSION: Players within 20 ft, DC 10 or take 1d4 dmg from heat, 10 ft of monster DC 13 or take 1d6 dmg or 5 ft DC 15 or take 1d8
FUMING SMOG: The air fills with a deep and noxious smog. Players make DC 15 Con check or take 2d8 Poison damage. If Successful take half.
Siolia Topic Starter

Woah!! That's really cool!!

Thank you for the tool, and for helping me!

I had already ran this once, but I'm gonna again in the future so I'll try it out!
Ryu

You're welcome.

Also DndBeyond is a good resource if you haven't used that as well. Happy GMing!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Opinions on home-brewed monster (5e) [closed]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus