Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Cure for nightmares?

e_e (played anonymously)

Does anyone know a cure for nightmares? The really bad kind, the kind that come from the deepest parts of your mind, from some of the most old traumatizing memories you may have, from things you never thought about for years that suddenly come back to haunt you.

If anyone knows anything, please do post below.

(I'll be watching...)
e_e (played anonymously)

Go back and think them over in detail and try to figure out what they mean. Sometimes understanding bizarre/creepy/violent dreams makes them a little less so.

Either that or just go back, think about them, and put a funny spin on them while you're awake. Sometimes that carries over to when you sleep. If you're lucky, sometimes you're a little conscious during your dreams and can influence things.

Dreamcatchers help as well. Put one over your bed and shake it out monthly.
e_e (played anonymously)

AgentMoore wrote:
Go back and think them over in detail and try to figure out what they mean. Sometimes understanding bizarre/creepy/violent dreams makes them a little less so.

Either that or just go back, think about them, and put a funny spin on them while you're awake. Sometimes that carries over to when you sleep. If you're lucky, sometimes you're a little conscious during your dreams and can influence things.

Dreamcatchers help as well. Put one over your bed and shake it out monthly.

Some are old memories that haunt me that I tried to forget years ago, I rather not think of them. Then are the odd dreams that are just bad to begin with with no tie to any memories but feel real. So there isnt much to do about it
Since i got into RP, iv not had many or any at all nightmares.. Most f my dreams now are like epicly cool.. Epicly stupid.. Or just down right weird... I always daydream about the RP or think of new things to happen before i fall asleep... could try that.. just remember that could result in to some really weird dreams XD
I use a piece of clear white quartz crystal on my window sill. The crystal will require cleansing and recharging regularly (there are a few methods for each) but after using crystal nightmares have become a rare occurance. :) hope this helps.
Kim Site Admin

Okay, prefacing this with I am not a psychologist and if this issue is serious you should seek professional help. But as a layman, with a layman's understanding, here is my advice:

If they are recurrent, and always play out in a certain way, I have had tremendous luck with breaking a two-year run of the same nightmare every night by imagining in cinematic detail an alternate ending. Once the dream had a resolution, it stopped. Whenever it starts to come back, I think up a new ending and it goes away that night.

For dreams involving old memories that you prefer not think about... It's unlikely you will EVER be rid of them without thinking about those memories.

As far as we can tell, dreams are intimately linked with long and short term memory. They're sort of the symptom of the sorting process that occurs as we sleep, as the thoughts and experiences that we had both consciously and subconsciously get forgotten or moved from short term to long term memory. This is also when links are made, categorizing similar or related memories together, which is part of why dreams often feature people or experiences we haven't thought about for years -- something related is causing that "file" to be reopened so more can be added.

If you are dreaming about the same thing over and over every night, it probably means that either your subconscious is thinking about it constantly and it is having to be re-filed away every night, or that something is related to that memory via the senses (similar smell, sounds, etc.) or emotional content, so it's getting reopened to add new data to every night.

Either way, you're going to need some kind of resolution to what's making your subconscious repeat it over and over, even if it's just making peace with the memory. Or you're going to need to figure out what the trigger experience is in today's life and form a new connection to associate that trigger with, so a different "file" gets opened when the sorting occurs. In both cases, it's unlikely to improve unless you confront the memory (or anxiety) that is associated with that dream or dream theme. If it's really a source of misery for you, I would urge you to ask for help from someone you trust or from a professional.

I hope one of the suggestions in this thread will connect with you and help!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Cure for nightmares?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus