Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » When huntin' for a name, what do you...

MasterWinter

Hello all, Winter here.

So I have a question for you all.

Question: When you can't decide/find a name suiting for your OC, but you really want to jot down things that your mind is coming up with for said OC so you don't lose it, what do you put in place of said OC's name?

Example: Let me use my most recent OC, Percival for this. I suddenly get hit with a spark of: EGADS! I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO WRITE FOR HIS BACKSTORY! HOWEVER! I don't have a name for my OC. What would I put in place of where his name would go, so I don't have to keep typing "he", or the -insert what ever my OC is- all the time?

One thing I saw in passing, which I don't remember if I saved to Pinterest or not, is: If you forget a common word (the word in the image was kidnapping that was forgotten), just put in the word "elephant" and keep going. Then when you go back through your writing, search for the word "elephant" and then try to figure out what word your looking for.

So what would be a suitable name, word, or something to use when a proper name is most difficult to come up with?

Cause I really got hit with two different ideas for two OC's, and I want to get this stuff down, but for one OC I'm not happy/content with names I'm finding. So I'll focus on the other which I hope will be easier.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

WIP work in progress
MasterWinter Topic Starter

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
WIP work in progress

...You know I've seen that used around here. It's easy, simple, yet I can never remember it.

SNtEUEY.gif
Rogue-Scribe

Winter’s Dilemma
Winters_Fury wrote:
Hello all, Winter here.

So I have a question for you all.

Question: When you can't decide/find a name suiting for your OC, but you really want to jot down things that your mind is coming up with for said OC so you don't lose it, what do you put in place of said OC's name?

Example: Let me use my most recent OC, Percival for this. I suddenly get hit with a spark of: EGADS! I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO WRITE FOR HIS BACKSTORY! HOWEVER! I don't have a name for my OC. What would I put in place of where his name would go, so I don't have to keep typing "he", or the -insert what ever my OC is- all the time?

One thing I saw in passing, which I don't remember if I saved to Pinterest or not, is: If you forget a common word (the word in the image was kidnapping that was forgotten), just put in the word "elephant" and keep going. Then when you go back through your writing, search for the word "elephant" and then try to figure out what word your looking for.

So what would be a suitable name, word, or something to use when a proper name is most difficult to come up with?

Cause I really got hit with two different ideas for two OC's, and I want to get this stuff down, but for one OC I'm not happy/content with names I'm finding. So I'll focus on the other which I hope will be easier.

I so get this issue! What I do is I create the character and use a “buzzword” from the backstory in my head with the previously mentioned ‘WIP’ as a prefix. I mark it anon until I get the names and pages sorted. I use custom wizard and throw one text page up to write out and capture the backstory. I have an abundance of character slots so am able to have several of these at once. Once I get basic things organised including a name, I switch the character public. That is my method of keeping all the scattered character ideas that randomly come into my head straight.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » When huntin' for a name, what do you...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus