Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Journal Entry Date Ordering Not Working?

Rogue-Scribe

I was sure when I checked out the journal entries during 2.0 beta, the 'publish' dates used would order the entries on the journal page by date.
It appears this is not the case now. The entries order themselves with the most recent entry at the top no matter what the 'publish' date is.

Example from Hunter-Seeker.

I numbered the entries from 1 to 5 as I entered them which is how they appear.
If the journal ordered by publish date, they should be in this order: 5, 2, 1, 3, 4

The 1.0 journal would order by the published date (as long as the 'date shift feature was not used). Is this a bug?
Hades_

It was a bug back in 1.0 that you shouldn't have been able to make any journal entries with future dates, because Kim originally wanted a feature where we could schedule things like announcements. I believe the Journal Entries work similarly to the Announcements features in groups. I believe it naturally posts in true time posting order, rather than shoving an entry between older ones based on the selected date you choose for the journal entry. This is because people can also make Journal Entries look like they're dated hundreds of years in the past, but you wouldn't want that suddenly going to some non-existent back log if you've made a good handful of regular current date journal entries. I think it's functioning how she wanted it to do so. Curious though! I'm eager to see what Kim says, so I hope you don't mind my commentary. :)
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

Thanks for the comments Hadeslicious!
So it ordering by date was a bug? I actually liked that.
If the case is how you say, I'll probably stop using that widget and just use a text widget so I can order journal entries by date.
I did send a bug report in so I guess I'll see what is said.
Yeah I miss the posts being in date order too. Having them in post order and not date order has really messed-up some of my pages where the journal is meant to be read from one date to another. Sometimes I think of a journal entry for a date in a characters life way after the fact and now have just given up on posting journal entries because they aren't ordered by date and so a bunch of my characters journals look terrible and don't read chronologically...

MercyInReach wrote:
Yeah I miss the posts being in date order too. Having them in post order and not date order has really messed-up some of my pages where the journal is meant to be read from one date to another. Sometimes I think of a journal entry for a date in a characters life way after the fact and now have just given up on posting journal entries because they aren't ordered by date and so a bunch of my characters journals look terrible and don't read chronologically...

Exactly! I have a number of characters who have used the journal widget to tell their stories. One of them would write of past events as recollections and date it such, and now instead of the entry settling down in the order based on its date, it’s at the top which makes it less useful to me. It does date correctly now though, and the ‘year-shift’ function works in moving all the journal dates that many years.

I have copied the journal entries of one character who I have a few RPs going at different points in his life and arranged them in order of date and put them in a generic text widget. It was a bit of work but it looks really good, and I can easily paste in any new entries in date order. The only thing it doesn’t do is put notifications out to anyone who happens to follow characters.

I guess the new method helps staff track when entries are posted, and it works for linear entries for a character going day-to-day, but the way it works now is much less-useful to me.
Kim Site Admin

I'm reading through the code now and from everything I can tell it should be posting in date order. I'm not aware of anything changing in the code regarding ordering of journal entries since the last time we confirmed that it was going in date order, Shadow-Ranger! So this is a great big mystery, and I don't believe intended.

I see you've already sent in a bug report about it; thank you.

Thanks for fixing it up! I was sure it was working in beta tests.
I just noted the entries all jumbled yesterday. Thanks again!

Edit to say thank you for fixing the tweaky time/date issue I had when saving edits to my entries.

You are on: Forums » Help » Journal Entry Date Ordering Not Working?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus