Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How do you cope with a loss?

This isn't my first time losing someone by any means, but they were either people I'd only really seen a couple of times or much older relatives, where they were more expected, you know? I was sad, devastated even, but it was a lot more controlled than this seems to be and I'm not sure what to do. I've got a lot of responsibilities I've been sort of shirking because of this, including ones on here, and I need to figure out how to get myself back to solid ground. I've been dealing with several mental health issues the way it is with self-harm and other things, but this just made everything worse.

Bit of exposition for this post:
On Saturday night, my friend Caleb was hit by a car, brought to a hospital, and died that night. I found out the next day through some people closer with the family and shut down almost immediately. We weren't super close friends, and he'd moved a ways away so I probably was never going to see him again, but he was a good guy. Seriously, Caleb was the type of person who was friends with everyone. Anyway, I've been reading every article to pop up about the accident, I've been following along with it as much as possible, and I just can't accept it. I know time is supposed to heal these things but... he's gone. I'm still shocked by the whole thing. How can someone just disappear like that, especially someone that young. I'm just rambling now.

My point is, what should I do to cope with this. I keep throwing myself into projects and just crumbling. I can't keep myself from crying each time he enters my mind. I don't know what to do.

Thank you if you read this far down in my ramble, I'm usually a lot more literate.
JetStorm

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I've had this happen to me over and over again,its only natural to feel upset when you loose someone you cared about. here is what i do to help with a loss 1-allow the feelings,coping with the loss of a loved one brings up almost every emotion imaginable. 2-gather support. 3-allow the grieving process. 4-embrace life. thats what i did.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How do you cope with a loss?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus