Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Drifting out (sci-fi rpg OPEN)

Vladimir (played by HRA)

((Yeah, mostly all of the computer attack. What you did is say that your computer managed to send a massive amount of data across a Warp shielded vehicle (Warp Shields and Void Shields are different. Same basic principles, but I'll explain if I need to.), broke down a massive firewall, and overwhelmed a massive supercomputer.

What you COULD'VE done, which might be better, is say you tried to do that, and the intent was massive damage to my electronics. That way, I can acknowledge the attempt and go from there. Also, what you kind of did was somewhat impossible based on more than one factor... I'm not feeling like I should explain anything that would lead to a flame war, because I'm not trying to be offensive.

Secondly, you ignored the fact that my ship did manage to send a concentrated, centralized EMP blast about the size of your ship in a direct laser to your ship. Now, an EMP knocks out the electronics. Permanently. Most of the time. What I did was simply try to restart yours. I also tried to time it so that it was sent out before your shields got up, because I don't know if your specific shields can block EMP blasts...

That aforementioned EMP was accompanied by a cyber attack in the form of a Trojan horse inside a static jamming signal. You also didn't reply to that... Which makes me wonder... Anyhow...

Third, my OCD senses are tingling... There's some small little shreds of things that make me... Squirm. I won't tell you them if you don't want me to.

Once again, I really don't want to offend you.))
Vladimir (played by HRA)

((Interesting. So if its not too much trouble, because I really don't want it to be, could you rewrite that post? What you could say is, and I'm accepting this, you sent the virus in as a transmission, which WOULD be able to bypass the Warp Shields.

(Warp Shields are specifically designed to keep the psychic energy, and raw energy in particular, out while moving in the Warp. Of course, that shield is always on. My specific ship has two Warp shield generators and two backup generators, always on, so two layers, one outside, and one inside. It isn't affected by kinetic energy, though, so plasma, kinetic projectiles and the such go right through. Lasers, EMPs, Psychic energy, and transmitting information directly through to the supercomputer does get stopped, or blocked.

Now Void Shields are shields that shield against kinetic energy, and solids. So lasers, projectiles, and raw energy tend to get stopped by the Void Shields. Now the VS, as I will refer to It for simplicity, is a very different type of shields. It absorbes the energy directly into the generators, and then the generators start to get overwhelmed and the shields begin to deplete. If depleted, the backup generators kick in, and the main generators stop, and vent the kinetic energy. That can take anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes, depending on the size and amount of energy it absorbed.

In other words, I have a few layers of rather strong VS and WS(2 of these), and they can take a lot of hits. Before anything can get to the ship, it has to deplete the shields first, which takes time because they can, in theory, never be shut off because of the amount of generators and backup generators taking over.)

A nuke does lots of damage, but it has a certain tendency to be severely weakened in space because of the lack of air to fuel the fire. Because you said it exploded out in front of the shields, I'm going to assume that was the intent. Now what that creates is... Well, have you seen the movie Moonraker? There was a large explosion in space. There was fire, and whatnot, but only for not even a second. And it just disappeared.

I did mention the Trojan Horse, and I had used it to open a video chat with you... To talk... I hadn't actually fired any projectile at you, and a centralized EMP is really hard to get past. Though it could be seen as an act of aggression...

Now the shields were depleted somewhat, because of the intensity of KE in that one part. Just not enough to shut off any more than one layer. I have around... Five? I think. Now the torpedoes, unless they are specifically designed to disrupt a specific area of shielding like my torpedoes and shells are, they will just explode on contact. Or act like an ozone layer. It's very complicated, and involves a lot of grey area.

On the matter of shields going online, granted, yes. They do get online very, very fast. Depending on the size. Your shields go online much faster than mine, mainly because you aren't that big, really. Compared to about 5 kilometers of area to cover, you can get them online in NO time. I take a bit of time, as you can see.

Ooh, that nasty transmission interruption. Yes, I did manage to intercept it, but unless I... No, wait, sorry. I was sending out a jamming signal. Sorry. You MAY have been blocked by my jamming signal, and tracked by my computer, which is being stung by a bunch of pesky bees. Time for the pesticides.

I've probably bored you to complete hell now, but I hope I made myself clearer. :)
Like I said before, what we're diving in here is covered in a lot of grey area, so there's sometimes no right or wrong. But I AM based off of Warhammer 40k, in a bit. With my modifications.
By the way, did you happen to hear of a place called Nationstates? Just asking.

Oh, and I will get a post out later for the IC. Sorry.))
Robert (played by HvyArtillery)

(( Sorry, but I didn't notice that the Trojan had opened comms until you pointed it out, it tends to happen sometimes :P, my apologies. Thanks for explaining how your shields work, and no it didn't bore me. i like getting into the technical aspects out things. Though your ships shields are very different from mine, because I based the technical aspects of my ship on Star Trek physics, with my own spin, of course. And I see it's only fair that I explain my shields as well.

One my ship there are 4 different shields, combat shields, flight shields, warp shields, and transwarp shields. Basically for combat shields, my ship has one main generator and a smaller back-up to take over in the event that the main generator is rendered inoperable. The generator is in a centralized location of the ship so that enemy fire cannot easily reach it. Connected to the generator are about a dozen "shield emitters" that stud the outer hull of the ship. When shields are brought online, the generator charges each emitter with as much energy the emitter can safely handle the emitter than projects the energy around the ship then, the deflector array in front of the ship stabilizes the shields so that it forms around the ship in a bubble shape. Now, when the shields come under fire the usable energy that makes up the shields is rendered into a negative, unusable form that slowly replaces the shield energy in the emitter with each hit. Eventually, given enough time and hits, the shield emitter will have too much negative energy to continue operating and will shutdown to preserve it's systems. However, just because one emitter went offline doesn't mean the entire system will go down. the other emitters will continue to operate until they have sustained enough damage to go offline themselves. Of course, the time offline is temporary. As soon as negative energy is acquired, the emitters begin to drain the energy away while new usable energy arrives. Because of this, the shields are in a constant state of regeneration, but the regeneration process is slow and therefore, if the part of the shield that is under attack will not be able to compensate the influx of negative energy with the regeneration rate. The regeneration rate can be speed up if power is diverted from the reserves allowing the quick strengthening of the shields in a pinch. Also, i don't know if you think this, but i believe that energy weapons (ex. beams, diruptors, etc.) do more damage to kinetic weapons and that kinetic weapons are designed to breach hulls then knock down shields.

So yeah that's how my shields work and hopefully we can now return to the roleplay
PS isn't nationstates a nation simulator game? I haven't played it cause a have accounts on Cybernations and Wargame 2.0))
Vladimir (played by HRA)

((Energy weapons are very useful, but that's a different discussion. :P

Yes, it is. Just asking. I had gotten a DoS there for yelling Godmod. ))

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Drifting out (sci-fi rpg OPEN)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus