Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Nostalgic rps

What are some rp ideas/concepts you always used to play as/with? What was your first long term rp? Favorite rp memory or plot line?

I know I used to do a lot of the elite horse riding academies rps, either ones for the rich or for delinquents. I honestly want to start up a group on here for one of these just for the memories.
My first long term rp was on a wetpaint site, it was about teenaged gangs. It was very cringe worthy as there was a lot of underaged drinking/drugs/sex. The site is no longer there but I found an old character profile and it was horrible but I still felt a bit of love for that character.
My favorite memory was of the first multi paragraph rp. It was about a group of strangers getting together to experience lore an abandoned mental hospital in some Eastern European country. I may borrow that idea and recreate a version of it here as well.
This is a good thread topic.

I used to really enjoy those wolf/cat groups. That was a really long time ago, my interests are completely different now.

I also have a very faint memory of a post-apocalypse roleplay that's stuck with me all these years and I don't know why, I think I must have met a long-lasting friend through there or something. My character had a white coat and a gasmask they never removed, their gender was never revealed and they were some kind of cliché escaped science experiment. There are drawings I found of them, they're always holding a pipe/crowbar and seem to be mute? I remember searching for medical supplies and clean water, a lot of other characters were sick, I think I thought highly of the other players and had a good experience overall.

My first long term roleplay was in a group for Digimon. I joined just two weeks after they formed so I was almost there for all of it and the whole thing felt like it lasted for ages, but I think it ran for only 2-4 months (though back then we were all able to post almost daily, every evening for hours since it was a chatroom). We had tons of fun but there was a lot of favouritism and only certain characters getting the limelight due to their relationship with the room owner.

These days my style is more like RPR's mainstayers, much slower and longer posts between single players, total original flavour, feels very laboriously crafted, but something about the way I did things back then was so amazing in a way I haven't recaptured since. It's something in the way I'd spontaneously enter a chatroom or group just because it sounded good and everyone's characters seemed so bright and colourful, and it wasn't always a bad thing seeing random catgirls fighting demons kissing witches cursing off-brand anime protagonists who were not-so-subtly inspired by the pop fandoms around at the time. I think having the format of a full chat really helped, I know RPR has that function but it just isn't the same, the way those sites pulled me into rooms full of dozens of people and it felt like a big party where you could spend a whole day churning out an adventure with them. Nowadays I feel more like I'm publishing an article or sending an important letter requiring editing to someone across the world, who has to knuckle down and do the same thing for me.

But anyway, I think I owe my most treasured memories to anime. A looong time ago I was roleplaying the Sebastian to someone's Ciel in a Black Butler RP, I drew the girl a Ciel doodle on a whim and she was really happy about it, we were friends for a while (darn it, I only fell out of contact with everyone because my laptops sucked and kept breaking with all the contact info on it). I also loved Pandora Hearts and I usually played as the characters Break or Cheshire, a lot of the time it was pure crack fic fuel, other times we were hitting that thesaurus for dem big words. Made a lot of friends there, was a bit starstruck when the seniors - literally a bit older than me on top of the experience - invited me to their proper group forum, and I even had people fighting for my attention to be friends/trying to recruit me into their House from in the story (yeah, like a Harry Potter House). Hm...

There was also a Naruto roleplay I have to 'thank' for meeting two people who had a massive influence on my life. They were both my best friends at some point for a total of ten years between them although to say the rest is making me feel bittersweet.
Rogue-Scribe

encre wrote:
What are some rp ideas/concepts you always used to play as/with? What was your first long term rp? Favorite rp memory or plot line?

Oh, these are good questions! I think I’ll have fun answering them!!

Question 1: ”What are some rp ideas/concepts you always used to play as/with?”

Having pretty much gotten my online RP start on a Tolkien fandom site around the turn of the century, the concept of world mashups intrigued me after a couple years immersed in Middle Earth. I read the Black Company book series and the down-to-earth grittiness of that world mixed well with the ‘deeper’ aspects of the tragedies of the Northern Kingdom of Arnor (summarised in the Lord of the Rings book appendices at the end of Return of the King). That concept led to several RPs over the years with the detailing and characteristics of the Black Company world were set into my characters in this part of Middle Earth. My character Halasian pre-dated that but he developed in his first rp ‘Shadow Over Arnor’ with these Black Company aspects since I was reading those books at the time.

Question 2: ”What was your first long term rp?”
My first long-term RP was the above-mentioned Middle Earth RP ‘Shadow Over Arnor’. It was set twenty years before the events of the War of the Ring and went on for a year with a lot of activity, with it tapering off over the next year.

Question 3a: ”Favorite rp memory?”

That is hard as there were, and continue to be, so many good RPs written and being written now. My fav rp memory seems to change with the day, so right now I’ll go with a group Middle Earth RP written in the years 2013-15 depicting the fall of the kingdom of Arthedain and the sacking of the fortress Fornost. Someone proposed the plot outline in the Entmoot forum, a hand full of writers responded, we started it and wrote it with a fairly good flow to an end with a planned sequel to come. Unfortunately life happened and this group of writers dispersed into life, and I’m happy to be still in touch with a few of them as friends and seeing how life is progressing for them!

Question 3b: ”Favorite RP plot-line?”
I have pondered this question a bit and will definitely commit to saying it’s the one where my character Steve got together with Katherine and they had a daughter named Stephanie and we're now RP'ng in a future date with the daughter with the parents taking a secondary role.

So far there are four RPs written over a year and a half tied together for this saga.... the original RP that started it all off, an Afghan war one where Steve recollected memories of Katherine in his journal, one where Steve reconnects with Katherine and meets Stephanie for the first time, and the one set further in the future of Steve’s timeline with my characters Derrick and Ruiz in high school with teenage Stephanie. My co-writer is quite fun and engaging to write this with, and I hope we keep writing this story for some time to come!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Nostalgic rps

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus