Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » How do I make my character bio be more descriptive

I have no clue how to my character bio really descriptive and matter to the character. I need tips on how to make it pop and just add more to her. I use the same character for all of them, but her personality is different for some of them. How do I that???
Mara (played by DarkonDreams)

Howdy!

Profile design is something I try to focus on with my characters as I think it helps people gauge whether I'd be a good RP partner or not, as well as providing info on the character so they understand where my creative thoughts are at. Mara here is a newer one and still being tweaked.

For the first page I generally do a blurb about the character like you might read on the back of a book. I do some OOC info and RP guide as well as some story ideas as they occur to me. Page two tends to be more meat about the character; I try to detail their appearance, mannerisms, habits, etc. Page 3-4 tend to be fluff or world info which is subjective by setting. It's not really required reading but it's there for the curious. Page 5 is a toss up but I usually stick a guestbook there as well as alternate setting versions of the character.

Hunt around under Community > Characters and look at how people format theirs. Take and incorporate styles you like and customize things to make it your own :).
You could take a look at a character questionnaire, such as this one: The Ultimate Character Questionaire and just answer the questions being asked. These help you to develop your character's bio.

For making appearances more descriptive, describe their physical condition (are they athletic or not, etc.), their eyes (not just eye color but eye shape and space between eyes as well), their hair (color, whether it is curly or straight, etc.; you could also describe what hairstyle), their face shape, their skin (not just the color but the texture). It might be handy to describe what clothes they often wear as well.

You could describe your character's personality. One way to go about this is by making four positive traits, two neutral traits and four negative ones. You could add in little quirks like nail-biting or fiddling with hair.

You could go in detail about your character's background. What kind of life did they live? Did they have any childhood friends? Did they have a good relationship with their family, if they had one?
Rogue-Scribe

Toxic888 wrote:
I have no clue how to my character bio really descriptive and matter to the character. I need tips on how to make it pop and just add more to her. I use the same character for all of them, but her personality is different for some of them. How do I that???

A good start is to use the available character slots and create the same character with different backgrounds/bios. Try new things and see what sticks, then merge it into one.

Here’s a good source of information on character pages here on RPR.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » How do I make my character bio be more descriptive

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus