Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Type 42 NV/Scorpion-class Naval Fighter

Scorpion_IV.jpg

"The Type 42 NV/Scorpion is a twin-boom, pusher-configuration naval fighter plane, named after its unconventional weapon arrangement: It has two 23mm gast guns situated in a gun pod at the top of the tailplane, firing over the fuselage of the plane like a scorpion strikes with its tail.

As a naval fighter, the Scorpion is designed with various features for carrier launches. It has an inverted gull wing permitting a shorter and sturdier landing gear, folding wings (which fold at the crease in the wing), and a contra-rotating pusher propeller with a forward cockpit to improve visibility and eliminate prop torque during takeoff and landing. The addition of an arresting hook and air brakes allow for slowing quicker for landings.

As a result of these additions, the Scorpion is significantly heavier than the Lunar Dawn, and therefore focuses more on speed. It is powered by a 1500 KW liquid methane-fueled pistonless rotary engine of the Type 42 CR/Falcon model, while the planes body is mixed cold-rolled steel and plywood monocoque construction, reinforced in key points as armor.

In addition to the two Type 42 CR/23mm Gast Revolver Cannons in the tail, the Scorpion possesses reloading tube rocket launchers in the wing roots, with an external hatch that closes while in flight to reduce drag. Fuel is stored in the body of the plane, behind the cockpit.

Starting with the Type 44 series, the Scorpion's engine is replace by a Type 42 CR/Storm 1500 KW Gas Turbine driving its contra-rotating propellers."

A project I was working on for some time but just now finally finished! or rather, it wasnt being worked on for a long time, cause I was stalling working on the landing gear. It took ALL DAY to render. But its done now! I kinda made this as a diversion from my main project I'm working on, the Type 42 CR/Astral Twilight, so look out for that one when I'm done with it! its been modelled, just needs texturing and a nice environment now.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Type 42 NV/Scorpion-class Naval Fighter

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus