Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Being an INFP

TheTwilightWarrior

Despite it being denounced as 'pseudoscience' I find that if you really delve into the cognitive functions rather than the topical behaviours of your MBTI type, you see the world and people through an entirely new lens.

For those interested in MBTI and cognitive functions, please continue!

First off, what is an INFP?

A: In Myers Briggs typology, INFP stands for Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving. However this doesn't capture the full nuance of the type.

Cognitively speaking, their functions in the following order are: Fi (introverted feeling), Ne (extraverted intuition), Si (introverted sensing), and Te (extraverted thinking).

INFPs have been given the stereotype of being mentally unstable and emotionally fragile. This may be due to Fi placing a high priority on personal values and morality which are constantly violated by the harsh and unforgiving reality of the world. Ne could also play a role in gathering far too much information before becoming so overwhelmed by the horrors of the world that they become cynical and depressed. As much as I hate stereotypes, I can't help but relate to common INFP struggles that a lot of people with similar wiring have gone through.

Living this way has been quite tough on me for a long time. I've always second guessed myself and have had low self esteem. Of course, these issues have been steadily remedying themselves through experience and maturity. I've also had depression in the past and trouble connecting/communicating with most people. I'm very prone to intense feelings of resentment and find it hard to forgive people.

Despite all that, I'm very easily drawn to higher powers, which is why I consider myself Christian. I have a love of transcendent beauty and aesthetics, like with Michaelangelo's David, or the classical Chivalric romances, such as Eric and Enide or Yvain the Knight with the Lion. I have deep personal convictions regarding certain topics which I won't say here in due reverence for social harmony. I'm very attuned to my emotions and what I believe in and this has brought me up in times of despair. I also feel like I'm completely out of place in the modern world.

Ask me anything ☺️

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Being an INFP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus