Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Rift Ripper [1x1]

Cori Ryder (played by Jello_Monsta)

In a time where space travel is not out of the ordinary and colonies of mankind extend far out into the voids of space, humans and other alien species strive to live in peace. Peace is never easily sought, and despite the want for peace, colonies throughout the galaxy find themselves fighting a losing battle. Street crimes were high, gangs ran supreme, and everyone lived for themselves. It was something you had to do to survive in this current time. The Confederacy of the M87 galaxy was responsible for protecting each colony within it's jurisdiction, and like every government corruption had a way of finding itself in those who were in control. M87 was the roughest galaxy to be in, and only those who were rough around the edges were able to survive.

That did not stop Cori Ryder from opening up a mechanical shop in M87, a young woman full of spunk and ambition. She had always been a bit of a wild child, sneaking out of the orphanage late at night to watch the street races the gangs would hold. Now fully grown up and still a wild child, she now competes in the races. She often found herself in trouble with the Confederacy and the gangs, landing herself in jail a couple of times but that never stopped her from doing what she loves.

Cori was closing up her shop for the night, pulling down the metal doors and locking them into the ground. She stood up, wiping the small trace of sweat from her forehead away with the back of her arm, leaving a small grease mark smudged to her face. A small robot was beside her, hovering as it waited on it's master. She reached into her pocket pulling out an electronic device, "Alright, I got an hour to get down to the docks before the race starts.." she said to herself, closing the device and stuffing it back into her pocket. She walked to the side of her shop where a rather sharp looking pod-bike sat, with a helmet on its seat. She walked over picking up the helmet and putting it on her head before climbing onto the pod-bike. She pressed her thumb against a scanner, and the machine came to life. The engine was loud, and roared even louder when she hit the accelerator and shot forward. It hovered like her robot did, and surprisingly enough her robot was moving just as fast next to her. She flew across the colony, weaving in and out of traffic and almost causing a few accidents. This particular colony was densely crowded and there was often traffic jams, that never stopped Cori from getting where she needed to go though.

When Cori finally arrived at the docks, everyone was already getting prepared for the race. Cori climbed off her bike and removed her helmet, running a hand through her short pink hair. A group of rugged looking men approached her, chuckling at her bike. "You expect to win in that dinky thing Rocket? This isn't the kids race anymore, you're in the big leagues now little girl." Cori gave a sour smile, "I am quite aware." she said in a cocky tone, "What I race is my busine-" she was cut short when a hand grabbed her arm tightly. "Mako didn't forget you wrecked his last pod, you still owe us a pod." A giant haggard looking man with arms covered in tattoos warned, squeezing her arm. Cori sneered at him, ripping her arm from him "Yea, yea I know. I got it covered, after I win this race he'll have his pod" she said, narrowing her eyes as she walked over to her bike and started moving it to the start line. The man simply crossed his arms, giving a sly smile "The boss doesn't like to be kept waiting.." he warned, gesturing towards the men he was with to follow him. Cori frowned once she was out of sight, knowing she had to win this race or it was likely she'd be jumped afterwards. Cori pushed her bike up to the starting line, climbing on and putting her helmet on. Other racers were at their pods as well, preparing for the race that would start in only a few moments.";
Xeron (played by Tashesto)

Xeron needed to escape for a while, so even while he was hindered by fatigue, he managed to step into a Dimensional Rip. Maybe he would be thrown somewhere he wont have to deal with skydiving. In fact, he may not want to deal with heights at all for a while after that... Exhilarating experience. He had already said his goodbyes to the hovering city above him. All that he needed to do now, was travel through the rift without passing out and he'd be good.

Somewhere near the dock's vicinity, a low pitched, quiet sounding hum began to play from seemingly nowhere. In a world such as this with busy traffic and other technologies, this sound would not be heard unless whomever was hearing it were directly at the source. Nearly half an hour went by before a small light white light appeared mid-air. This light would slowly stretch into what looked like a large rip in an odd fabric, one that never shows itself, but makes itself known wherever it goes. The larger the rip, the higher pitched, and louder the noise got. When it began to shred apart the noise grew louder. The portal showed a path to another world within itself, and it also showed a tall man with a tired look on his face stumble out and ram himself into the nearest wall away from the rift.

The rift dispersed, along with the piercing sound, as soon as Xeron set foot outside and into this new world. He looked around, desperately trying to stay awake and regain some sense of direction. He was seeing double vision, and was also pretty sure his brain was conjuring up a mirage of sorts. None of this helped him, and seemed to disorient himself further. He closed his eyes and pressed himself on the nearest wall and shuffled along it so that he wouldn't fall over, or travel in tiny circles as he moved.

Hopefully he would find somewhere to get some water or any other liquid he could drink at this point. He found his way to the corner of the building, and decided to walk from there without the support of any stationary objects. Xeron was obviously heavily armed, he even had a couple ranged weapons now. He hoped to find a way to conceal his weaponry, but right now, he could care less. He was regaining vision and only had the imagery he was hallucinating due to fatigue now, so that was good. He clumsily made his way towards what looked like some sort of an event, he couldn't clearly tell what kind of event, though. He hoped that whatever event it was would have refreshments, drinks and food... That's when Xeron made it to the docks.
((Am I correct to assume that these are spacey Sci-Fi docks and not boat/ships on water docks?))
Cori Ryder (played by Jello_Monsta) Topic Starter

(Yes so sorry, should have cleared that up -_-)

"Start your engines!" came the booming voice of an announcer.

Each pod came to life on the line, and the drivers all eagerly waited for the signal. Cori, revved her engine, tightening her grip on the handles. A gun fired and all the pods flew off the starting line. Cori maneuvered easily around the pods on her bike, slowly making her way to the front of the line. She could feel her adrenaline rushing through her veins and she gave a small laugh, flying around a tight curve. A pod rammed into the side of her, almost knocking her into a wall. "HEY WATCH IT!" she shouted, accelerating and then cutting off the pod. She glanced behind her, seeing an all too familiar face. It was the guy from Mako's gang, the one who grabbed her arm. She growled slightly, kicking a lever with her foot that sent her bike rocketing forward. Leaving her competitors in her dust, she easily maneuvered through the debris that scattered the docks. She weaved in between beams with such finesse, she looked like she had done it a hundred times before.

Suddenly a pod was right on her tail, and rammed itself into the back of her bike causing her bike to wobble from the force. Cori cursed under her breath, glancing back and doing her best to dodge the attacks. She could see the finish line ahead, and the crowd that awaited to celebrate the victor. She gritted her teeth together as the pod continued to try and cause her to crash. She kicked the lever on her bike again, shooting forward as the pod rammed into at the last second. Cori yelled as her bike's right engine blew, spinning her out of control. She cursed under her breath as her bike headed toward a large pillar, and her body tensed as she prepared for the collision. It hit the wall with a loud crash, tossing Cori from the bike and onto the track. Her bike then blew up into a million pieces, scattering across the track as well. Cori stood, limping on one leg as she brushed herself off. She turned around only to be greeted with the rest of the pods coming at her full speed. She ducked to the ground just in time, the pods flying over her. The race was over.

Cori walked along the track, picking up the pieces to her bike, swearing under her breath as she limped along. She could hear the cheers from the crowd, and that only fueled her anger more. This happened the last time she raced, ever since she got involved with that rotten Mako. She knew his men would be along sooner than later.

Xeron was taking one drink after another at one of the stands. He din't care what kind it was as long as it was in liquid form. When he finished he ate his food within seconds too. After a while of sitting there the owner of the booth told him his total. "Aw crud... I don't have that currency, do I? I should really learn about these worlds first before I buy anything," He thought to himself as he frantically searched his pockets.

The burly booth owner relentlessly stared at Xeron fumble around for anything of value, this wasn't Xeron's day. "Is there... Anything else I can do for you instead of giving you the money? I could work at the booth till' it's payed off... Heh," The man stands up and towers over Xeron. He demands something, even anything of Xeron's he can sell. "Okay, how about this: I can make my way to a pawn shop of sorts to sell a couple things and make my way back. Then I can give you your money, everybody leaves happy!"

The man towers over Xeron as he stands up. "You'll need to give me something to ensure you get back then, won't cha?" The booth-keeper asks, rather impolitely, Xeron thinks. "What the-? Why, no- what? Uh... People here aren't so trusting, are they?" Xeron sighs and decides what to give to the... Nice man for now. Before he can fully decide, the man pipes up, "Hey, why don't you just give me that necklace of yours, eh? I'm guessin' some princess like you can't live without it, am I right?" The man grabs at the necklace and attempts to break it off of Xeron's neck. Instead, the random yank at Xeron's neck rammed Xeron's head downwards, hitting the counter hard.

Xeron gets the guy to let go and stop trying to break the necklace off and gets his head up off the counter. "Fine, it's yours, but only for now," Xeron said as he took the necklace off, the crystal's odd glow seemed to diminish when it wasn't near Xeron anymore. "Great, just great, there goes the energy I had saved up for a couple weeks now. I think I've been running off some of that emergency energy too... Ugh, I feel out of it," Xeron thinks to himself as the necklace is taken away from him, it almost seems like slow motion at first before he snaps out of it and searches his pocket as he makes his way to look for a map of the town.

He hears the crowd in the docks roar, the ground almost felt shaky due to how many people were screeching out at each other, and at the race. "Maybe one of the people over at the race will give me directions," Xeron muttered to himself as he sluggishly made his way over to the docking area. He saw a glimpse of the race on a large screen. He could see that the only one on the ground and ducking was this girl. He wondered for a brief moment why no one else was on the ground, maybe they had all gone after her for a reason? He only caught the end of the race, though, so he wouldn't know, he thought, and he shook the feeling that something else was going on in the race than he knew. Those were the feelings that always get Xeron into so much trouble.

Cori salvaged what she could from the wreckage and made her way towards the crowd, hoping she could maybe slip by Mako's goonies. She was making her way through the crowd when a man suddenly stopped in front of her to look at the replay of her nearly getting ran over by pods. She crashed into him, dropping all of her parts "Oi! You don't just stop in the middle of the crowd!" she exclaimed, looking down at the parts all scattered on the ground. "Could this day get any worse?" she asked herself aloud, leaning down and picking up the parts. A flying robot zipped up to her, it was sphere shaped with a what looked like a face etched into it's side. The little robot also had five extending arms that were reaching out and picking up parts, opening it's belly and putting the tools inside itself.

Cori glanced up at the man, and then froze when she heard a familiar voice yell out the name 'Rocket'. She cringed some, and growled. "It just got worse." She stood up and dusted herself off, putting her hands on her hips. "Let me guess, Mako wants his pod now? Well you see...here's the thing." She ran a hand through her hair, and then put her arm around the man she had just crashed into. "I'm getting the pod from him, he delivered it to my shop you see and got a little mixed up on directions. No harm, we can just go to my shop and pick it up" she smiled, and patted the man on the shoulder. In truth she had no pod, but it'd give her time to think up a plan on the way to her shop.

After Rocket rammed into him, he stumbled backwards a bit and looked at all the parts she dropped. "Oh, crud, sorry, I uh... Well I was looking for a pawn shop and I heard the crowd-" He stopped when he saw the robot picking up parts. He was intrigued, then almost forgot his manners, so he started to pick stuff up and hand it to the robot, there were a lot of parts. When he heard the man screaming towards Rocket, he snapped back up.

He was still so tired that he didn't even argue when she said she'd get some sort of 'pod' from him. Pod? What pod? Maybe it's a sleeping pod, I could use one of those... I wonder where I could find that kind of pod. Xeron looked at the guy, smiled, and waved tiredly when Rocket said she was getting the pod from him. When the man walked away, Xeron stared at Rocket for a good long while before actually saying anything.

"Pod? What pod? What is a pod in this place, anyways? Also... Do you know the currency of this place, because it's new to me. Oh, yeah, forgive my 'stopping in the middle of nowhere and crashing into you' non-existent manners... I'm Xeron," He puts his hand out towards the drone with five hands to shake, not even noticing that it's a robot.

Cori felt relief when the man went along with her rouse, and was glad that was enough to cause Mako's men to leave. Her thoughts were interrupted when the man started rambling about pods, currency, and apologizing for getting in her way while giving his name as well. She watched as he extended a hand to her robot as if to shake it. She rose a brow, noticing he looked like he didn't belong here. "Everyone calls me Rocket, and you're not from around here are you? M87 isn't exactly a vacation spot.." she warned. "Xeron was it?" she asked, as she started sorting through her parts, "judging from your question about pawn shops, I'm guessing you already owe someone some money.." she said, glancing up at him. "The M87 colony only uses Rupee's as currency, and I'm guessing you don't know where the pawn shop is?" she asked, gathering from the look on his face she gathered her assumption was correct. She glanced around the crowd, "Come on, I'll show you how to get there..it's near my shop." she said as she started walking, her little robot following behind.

"Yeah, I sorta, kinda, ate about... 150 rupees worth of food and drink back there, and I rounded down a bit," Xeron says as he finally notices that he's extended his hand towards a robot, and not an actual person. "Yeah, the guy was beefy, works out a lot I'll bet. Also, I didn't want to hurt him, so I let him feel like he was the one making the decisions and such... He asked me for something that would make me want to go back, so i had to give him something of... Well, you could say, sentimental value."

"M86 colony? That's where I am then... Huh. Well, I didn't know if it'd be a vacation spot or not. What's that saying some humans have? 'Beggars can't be choosers', or something along those lines?"

Xeron began to follow you towards your shop, right before he tripped on his own feet and fell over. He sluggishly regained steadiness and soot back up again. "I'm okay... Thanks for the help. It is nice to have company once in a while, someone you can talk to..." Xeron states clearly. "Someone who speaks your language," He mutters afterwards. "Wait a sec, you still haven't answered my question on what the pods are yet."

Cori listened to him talk as they walked towards the metro, it was the fastest way to travel on foot but was packed with the scum of the colony. She would occasionally look up at him in confusion or a look of disbelief as he spoke, he was kind of odd. She glanced back to see that he had fallen, and got up a little slow. She stopped and turned to him, "Are you hurt?" she asked once he was finished speaking.

She frowned as she walked up to him, looking him over "You sure ask a lot of strange questions..and that sort of thing can get you in trouble around here.." she wondered if he was from another colony, and had already got into trouble with his questions. "Pods are what everyone travels in..personal means of transportation, and some people like myself..race them for sport." she tried to explain as best as she thought she could. She wasn't the best at words, nor was she very good at being courteous. "Look, once we get to my shop I'll answer any other questions you have but for now..just keep in your head so you can remember them later. You can freshen up at my shop, I live there. Although~ I wouldn't stay too long because I know those goons from earlier are going to be wanting their payment and you're not going to want to be around when that happens.." she said bitterly.

"What kind of a world is it where asking questions gets you into trouble? Geeze..." After a while of walking, Xeron opens his mouth to say something, but seemingly decided it was better not to. He repeated this process two more times over time, after finally deciding to ask, "Which goons? I've seen many as we passed along here, and I'm really not having a good time at remembering anything that didn't make sense, or of very little importance to me, that was at least ten minutes ago, or less..."

Xeron starts inspecting his surroundings as he walks along, in silence, after her suggestion he should stay quiet. This earns him a lot of odd looks from passersby, which is usual to Xeron. Chances are, he probably wouldn't know that that's unusual, let alone bad for a place such as this. "Hey, uh, actually, just one more question. Since this is a dangerous place, like you say it is, do you mind if I take a rest in your shop, sometime? I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a... Little tired," Xeron says with slurred words. His fatigue is starting to show more severely than when he just tripped over his feet.

Cori looked at him like he was crazy, "Oi, you're getting us a lot of looks. Questions come from brains, and sadly enough M87 is lacking in that department." she whispered so only he could hear. "But what they lack in brains they make up for with brawn and homicidal tendencies." She glanced over at him and then sighed as she hooked her arm with his to help keep him sturdy. "The public transportation is just head, we'll get on and it only takes 5 minutes to get to my shop, then it's a block from the metro. Think you can make it that far?" she asked.

"Here's to hoping I can," He straightens his walk significantly, but it actually looks like it's taking a lot of concentration to do so. When they finally make it to the public transport, he immediately falls asleep in one of the seats. He manages to wake up after the five minutes, maybe he was just resting his eyes. That'd be hard to do without accidentally slipping into a near coma-like state for him at this point.

"Okay, so, a block from here, then?" He asks as he looks for a nearby map of some sort. "Wow, I wish these were more clear," He states as he scratches his head.

Cori had remained quiet once they got on the metro, and kept a sharp eye on Xeron. He was unusual, and she had a feeling he could be trouble too. When they arrived to their destination he woke up from his small nap . They exited the Metro and made their way down the dark streets, their only light being street lights which majority of them were busted. When he stopped to look at a map projection, she turned to him. "That projection has been broken for about a year now, my shop is up this street." she said, pointing in the direction of her shop.

She was worried that they didn't have much time before Mako's gang would be showing up for their 'pod', and right now she was strapped for cash, having used the last of her Rupee's on the race. She would wait for him to follow her, and would lead him down the street towards her shop. This part of the colony was always empty at night, so she didn't have to worry about him sticking out as much. "So where are you from?" she asked, her shop coming into view ahead.

"Where am I from? That's a good question... Well, all I can remember honestly of my old planet are random features, like, I think it was yellow dirt or something. I haven't been back in forever, so even I can't remember much of it, even it's name is lost to me," He finds a Yoyo of some sort in his pocket and starts fiddling around with it.

"Is this it?" He asked as they reached Rocket's shop. "It's nice. What are you gonna do about the pod thing, then? Seems to me that you owed those people one, or something along those lines."

(I actually never named the planet the Rift Rippers originate from... Still can;'t think of anything. XD)

Cori rose an eyebrow as she glanced back at Xeron, "You can't remember your home?" she asked, frowning slightly, she could relate to that. Before the orphanage she couldn't remember her parents, her home or anything. Cori walked up the the large metal sheet that protected her shop, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a set of keys. She knelt down and unlocked the metal sheet from the ground, lifting it up. "Yep this is my shop...nothing fancy as you can see." Her frown returned when he brought up the pod, "I'm still figuring that part out.." she said opening the door to her shop and standing aside to allow Xeron to enter. "but yes, that seems to be the arrangement. Unfortunately for me, there is no pod here."

She turned on the lights, the inside of the shop lighting up. There was junk everywhere, but it wasn't junk to her. There were parts every where, drawings and blue prints scattered the floor and the walls. The shop was one big room, and there was a couch surrounded by all the parts, and a small coffee table in front of the couch that had more blueprints and sketches all over it. In the corner was a small kitchen area, with a cooler for food. There was little robots out of commission laying on what looked like a workbench, and metal containers with tools all jumbled inside. It looked like a disaster, but Cori always worked better in chaos, and knew where everything was.

She walked across the room, over to the kitchen and opened the cooler. "Want a beer?" she asked, pulling out a can for herself as she looked over at him.

Xeron walks in and takes a deep breath. It smells like a workshop to him, after he got a good look at his surroundings he walked over to a seat. "Not much? This place is great! Bet Hal would like this place..." Xeron whispers the last sentence to himself. Being alone most of his travels, he's only had one person to talk to, himself. He tries keeping it quiet when he talks to himself, however.

"A beer? Sure, I guess," Xeron extends a hand to grab a can from Rocket. He opens it up then suddenly stops before he drinks out of it. "Uh, no charge, right?" He chuckles and then drinks a bit out of the can. "So, I take it you're the more trusting person around here. I mean, who else would take a stranger to their shop, get them a beer, and send them off to the nearest pawnshop?"

She nodded and pulled a can out for him, walking over and handing it to him. She then opened the tab to her can and chugged the contents, setting the can down before walking over to her work bench. She glanced over at him as he spoke, going through her tools. "Trusting? I wouldn't say trusting..curious maybe." she said, peering back over at him. "You're unusual, and don't look like you belong in this colony...to be truthful I've been trying to get off this damn colony but it's not easy.." she said, pulling out a few fish shaped looking robots, with snapping jaws. She pulled out a screw driver, fiddling with the little fish. "It's hard to get off M87 once you're on it. I've been here since I can remember." she said, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"Rest up while you can, I'm sure Mako's gang will be here soon for their pod..and I don't think you are going to want to be here when they do..." she said as she got up from her workbench, going to a closet next to it and pulling out a sack, throwing things inside of it.

Xeron drank the rest of the beer in the can while he listened. He threw the can away and stopped to think for a second. "Heh, give me about a month or so and I could probably find a way out," he stated, almost sounding cocky, but it didn't sound like he was completely joking. "First I've got to get that necklace back, though."

"Well, I could help if those guys come along and decide to be trouble," It may be only then when you notice that this man is armed to the teeth with weapons. Xeron went to the back of the shop and looked around. "Thanks, I'll just find a place on the floor back here to rest for a couple hours, I think that's all the sleep I'll need," He found a comfy spot on the floor in the back of the shop and was soon asleep.

Cori rose an eyebrow when his tone changed, and he boasted he could get off the colony. He mention something about a necklace which struck her curiosity again. She watched as he walked to the back of the shop and laid down on the floor, falling asleep almost instantly. She watched him for a moment, wondering who he was.

She shook her head and went back to packing up the important things, she had a lot of research and objects she had been working on. Ones she knew Mako's gang shouldn't get their hands on, she was good at building pods but her specialty was weapons. Most were explosives, but by glance you could never tell they were weapons. She picked up the fish she had been messing with and tossed them in the sack, along with a stack of blueprints and notes.

When she was satisfied that she had everything important in her sack she looked at the clock hanging on the wall. There really was no night and day in space, only darkness. The clock read that it was nearing 04:00 in the morning. Cori sighed, looking around her shop before a sly smile graced her lips. She'd give Mako's men something to find when they came searching. She set down the bag and started working. When Xeron would awake he would find her sitting in the middle of the chaos on the floor, diligently putting parts together, welding them together before making a few tweaks to it.

Xeron woke up muttering something like, "Who's a pretty piranha?" Then he opened his eyes and noticed he wasn't where he thought he was. He hoped nobody heard that. Xeron stood up and looked around again. He saw Rocket welding and decided it wan't the best time to say anything to her, she probably wouldn't hear. He walked over to a chair and sat down, hopefully it was in her eyesight enough that when she was done concentrating on what she was doing, she'd notice him without getting startled. He'd done that before with people, he didn't like how it usually ended.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Rift Ripper [1x1]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus