Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Rift Ripper [1x1]

Cori Ryder (played by Jello_Monsta) Topic Starter

Cori turned off the welder when she saw Xeron was up, lifting up her goggles to rest on the top of her head. "Good you're up!" Cori said, standing from the floor and brushing herself off. "Good timing too, I just finished and it's time to go." She said, taking the little devices she made and placing them in area's around her shop. She placed about thirteen off them before walking over and picked up the sack she had packed earlier, and a backpack that she slung over her shoulder.

"I have a proposal...I help you get your necklace back or whatever and you help me get off this colony." she said, putting a hand on her hip. "What do you say?" she asked, looking hopeful.
Xeron (played by Tashesto)

Woah, this wasn't going the way he expected. He and his big mouth, he couldn't conjure up a Dimensional Rip powerful enough to transport two people through! Besides that and the fact that he couldn't know for sure where he'd end up. He could take her to a world he already knows, but could she eat food, drink, or even breathe the air in those places? He'd have to do a lot of research first, then decide on the best place to take her. If, that is, he could create that powerful a portal.

"Well, uh, I uh... I was just gonna sell something that may be worth 150 rupees... You said you didn't have any either, so how else would we get the money that quickly? Besides, my 'way out' is maybe sort of a one way trip for one person. I- uh, don't mean to be rude or anything," Xeron starts stumbling on his words as his brain attempts to catch up with what he's saying.

Wait! That's it! Maybe if he knew of other worlds in this dimension he could travel there using a Dimensional Rip. Then, in a month after preserving energy for one, he could create a rift to that world, then use the stored energy in the crystal on his necklace to rip back, this time creating a portal Rocket could see and cross through, too! It sounds tricky but it may work. Too bad he thought of that after he said his way out was for himself only.

Cori frowned when he started coming up with excuses, "I will pawn some of this stuff.." she said gesturing around her to the scattered parts on the floor. "We can probably muster up about five hundred Rupee here." she sighed, "I'm getting off this colony, with or without you...I just need to find something that can make the trip to the next colony.." she said, not knowing about dimensional rips or other means of travel.

"It'd be easier if I had some help is all, was giving you the chance to get off this crappy colony too." she lifted up a hand and ran it through her hair, glancing up at him. "So what do you say Xeron? You in or out? I pawn some stuff, get your necklace back plus get some extra cash to find a charter off this place."

"It's not that, it's just... I do have a way to get off this colony, and I think it might be good. Uh... What can you tell me about any planets this universe has? I know that's an odd question, just, please go with it," Xeron starts picking up some of the pieces and parts on the floor to sell at the pawn shop. He walked to the door and opened it up, it was just then that he decided to find some sort of bag to put the parts in, so he walked back.

"My method... Is hard to explain. I uh... I'm not human, as you may or may not have guessed already, I don't know. I've never been in a dimension where the technology is this," Xeron looks at the multiple holograms around him. and finishes his sentence, "Advanced."

"Gah, I don't know what I'm talking about right now, my brain is all.. Jumbled. Anyway, yeah, I'm in. Let's get off this rock!" Xeron gives a somewhat stupid grin out then immediately stops to pick up some parts that dropped out of his arms.

(Also, best currency ever. lol)

Cori watched him, a puzzled look on her face which was becoming quite common since meeting Xeron. "Planets?" she frowned slightly, he really wasn't from around here...at all. "Xeron...every planet in this solar system has been drained of every resource and turned into a desolate wasteland.." she said slowly, "Has been for the last fifty years..every species has made space their permanent home..on these gigantic vessels called colonies.." she explained, watching as he absentmindedly picked up parts.

She wondered what Xeron's world was like, if this was so much different. She had always wished she could have seen a planet before it was wiped out, all she has seen of them is pictures in history books. She shook off the thought, when he agreed to help her get off this colony. Her brain already ticking and planning, "Another means of travel eh? Would be safer than taking a pod probably, would avoid pirates.." she said, rubbing her chin as she started to pace. She then snapped her fingers, her eyes lighting up as she hopped through her mess, going over to her work bench and digging in the drawers. She tossed the papers out, examining them first as if looking for something. "Aha!" Cori exclaimed, pulling out a large sheet of paper that was folded up. She then went over to the coffee table, sliding everything onto the floor as she opened the paper, spreading it across the table. It was a map of the galaxy, "Will this help any at all?" she asked, glancing over at Xeron.
(Lol, I was just randomly coming up with things XD)

"Every planet? I don't think I could use a Rift from one colony to another. Even if I did, it might knock out some of the colony's power for a little bit. No... That'd be too dangerous, the transition could get Rocket into a bad state..." He muttered all this to himself, but Rocket probably heard most of it. "Gaaaaah! Why do humans have to be so... so... Fragile?!"

Xeron paced around the room, looking at the map a couple times then re-starting the same pattern he paced in. "Ugh, let's do one thing at a time. I suggest we go to the pawnshop, get my necklace, and go from there. We can figure out what planet we'll go to afterwards. How does that sound?" Xeron asked Rocket, very unsure of what to do right now.

"A Rift?" Cori asked aloud, her head following him as he paced. She blinked in confusion yet again, baffled by whatever Xeron was. She wondered if the galaxy extended further than her knowledge, or anyone's knowledge. She grinned, excitement rising in her. This was what she had always wanted, deep down she had always felt trapped and her spirit wanted to roam free and learn everything.

She was about to defend herself about being 'fragile' when Xeron suggested thinking on the way. She blinked and then hurriedly looked to the clock, groaning as she realized they had wasted quite some time. "You're right, we need to leave now..Mako's gang could get here any minute, and once they find me gone there could be a man hunt for my head.." she said, chuckling nervously. She reached up and scratched her head, "But as long as we don't run into them we should be fine." She picked up her bags again, and a few extra parts as she whistled. Rocket's little hovering robot appeared beside them in seconds, carrying two bags as well that tripled it's size.

As soon as they were ready, Cori led them out of her shop, closing the metal covering and locking it into the ground for the last time. She stood up and gave a final look at the small shop with a sharp glowing sign that read "Rocket's". She turned, leading Xeron across the street and into an alley that led to the next street over. The pawn shop was all lit up at the end of the dark alley, a few pods crossing the path as they made their way towards it.

"Yeah, a rift- well, more like a dimensional rip. Slashing through reality to transport one living being, in some cases, two or three living beings, across multi-dimensional pathways and road forks, and loops. This leaves whatever was transported thoroughly, yet mildly dehydrated, maybe sick, and most definitely uncoordinated for at least an hour or longer," Xeron says as if he were quoting from a textbook of some sort. Whatever this 'Dimensional Rip' thing was, he knows everything about it by heart.

"Well, wouldn't that technically be a woman-hunt? Not a man hunt? Uh, right, yeah, best be off," Xeron hurriedly stated and followed Rocket out of the shop. "You had to jinx it, those pods ahead, are those this 'Mako' guy's gang?" Xeron asked as they approached the shop faster, making up for lost time.

Cori walked briskly down the alley, taking a look at the pods ahead, "No, those aren't Mako's men." she answered, trying to wrap her head around everything he had explained about dimensional rips. When they got to the end of the alley Cori glanced around before crossing to the pawn shop. She opened the door, holding it open for Xeron "Let me do all the talking okay?" she asked, allowing him in before following.

Inside Cori went straight to the counter, dumping the load of parts she had been carrying. "I'd like to sell these, it's high quality metal and I won't take less than two hundred Rupee's for it all." she said, looking up at the shop keep who was not human. He resembled more of a bug, his antennae's frittering about. He looked at her and then to the parts, examining them closely. "This isn't a scrap yard Rocket.." the old bug said, giving her a skeptical look.

Rocket sighed, "Please Arn?" she pleaded, leaning over the counter and giving him a sly smile. If bugs could blush, Arn was definitely blushing as he looked her over before groaning, "Fine, two fifty for it all.." the bug said, and Cori smiled more. "Thanks Arn, I owe ya one." she said, as he started going through the parts and setting them aside. He then reached into a safe pulling out the money Cori was owed. Arn looked over at Xeron, his insect eyes staring him down "Whose your friend?"

(I can type again! Heh, for now at least. Who knows, maybe next time I'll break my wrist, xD)

Xeron was relieved it wasn't Mako's men. He didn't come here to hurt anybody, but he would if he had to. Xeron stood astonished as Rocket talked to the bug pawn shop keeper. He didn't notice it at the time, but Xeron was standing with his mouth wide open. "This place just keeps getting more interesting," Xeron whispered to himself.

When the bug-guy mentions Xeron, he snaps to attention, back to the normal world. "Oh, uh, hi! I'm..." Xeron struggled to find a random name to come up with. Maybe he should go with a really common name. What was common for a name around here? First there's a guy named Mako, and someone nick-named Rocket. "I'm... Hal. Call me Hal. I've been helping Rocket around her shop recently. She's the one doin' all the engineering and I've just kept the shop... Clean," Xeron quickly stated. He could be a good liar when he needed to be, and he didn't want his actual name getting about.

"Sorry, Hal, I'll need to borrow your name for a bit," Xeron thought to himself.

(oh no, don't break it! lol )

Cori let out a breath of relief when Xeron handled Arn's questions well, not giving away too much. Arn handed her the money and just as she pocketed it there was an explosion outside. It was her shop down the alley. Arn jumped up, "What the hell was that!?" he cried out, looking out the window as flames danced in the air and smoke rose from the flames.

"That's our signal to leave..now." Cori said quietly, so Xeron could hear her. She picked up her bags and gestured with her head for Xeron to follow. They left the pawn shop as Arn inspected the chaos down the alley from the window, "Hey Rocket..isn't that your shop?" he asked as they left in hurry. Cori chuckled slightly as they walked briskly down the street, away from her shop. She wanted to get Xeron's necklace back quickly, so she led them down to the docks.

Xeron jumped slightly as the explosion activated. He put a surprised look on his face, as not to cause too much suspicion as they left the shop. When they were by the docks and he saw the place where he ate, he dashed over there. He was fast, despite the fact that he wore heavy boots. The only difference with normal running was that you could hear him run from a mile away.

When Xeron made it to the shop, the beefy guy looked at him funny then remembered who he was. "Ah, yer back here for your necklace, eh?" the booth owner asked. "Y-yeah, something like that. I've got enough for how much I ate," Xeron gave the man the Rupees. "Now, can I please have my necklace back?"

"HAH! Who says please? Yer hilarious. Here's yer necklace back ya wimp." The man handed Xeron his necklace back. It's a silver cord that gleamed oddly in the light with a green crystal attached to it. You can't see right now, but entering a dark area you may see it slightly glows. Xeron threw it back around his neck and then made his way back to Rocket.

Once Xeron returned with his necklace, Cori started leading them to somewhere she thought would be safe for awhile. It was likely her little stunt would anger Mako, and he probably lost men in the explosion. She smiled as she walked, she had been waiting to give Mako a taste of his own medicine. "We're going to head to a friend of mine's warehouse, I have a lot of things stored there for situations such as this."

Cori led the way to the warehouse, it was only a couple of blocks from the docks. "It's likely my friend won't be there, he's an officer for the confederation and was shipped off months ago." They got to the warehouse without any problems, and Cori led them around back where she pulled out a device hooking it up to the electronic lock on the back door. She quickly overrode the system, and the door opened for them. She entered first, shutting the door behind Xeron once he was inside. She turned on the lights, and the huge warehouse lit up, in the middle of the giant room was a wrecked up looking pod. Cori gestured over to it, "That's our ticket off this heaping pile of metal. Once I get it working of course."

"So, 'a lot of things' meaning, more explosives?" Xeron asked. He followed as they swiftly made their way to the warehouse. "So how did you get on this guy- Mako's bad side? I'm just wondering, because the explosives seemed a bit extreme. I mean, the thugs after you before didn't know you'd be at a pawnshop, and they would have just wasted time to wreck the shop anyways looking for a way to find us. So, wait, I guess I should be asking this instead... What did Mako do to get on your bad side?"

Once they had made it to the warehouse, you would have noticed a slight glow before turning on the lights. As soon as the lights went on, the glow disappeared. All you probably could have guessed is that it was from the necklace. I mean, why waste time on getting back a necklace if there wasn't something odd about it? "So, our ticket is the pod? Well then. Why couldn't you have just given this to Mako?"

Cori glanced up at Xeron when he asked about Mako and the explosives. "If I hadn't of blown up the shop, they would've caused us a problem later.." she said, walking over to the pod and looking it over. "Mako came to my shop years ago, when I first opened. He wanted to buy it, I refused. So him and his thugs trashed my shop. Little did I know then, Mako had more power over this colony than the confederacy. I haven't had a single customer since that day...and Mako has threatened me on more than one occasion to give up my shop."

She sighed slightly, lifting a hand and running her fingers through her pixie hair. "When business failed, I went back to what I knew..pod racing. First couple of races, I won and I was able to pay to keep my shop at least open and functioning. Mako caught wind and started sabotaging the races, he lost a pod shoving me out of the race and suddenly I owed him one...and I was back to scraping by to hold on to my dream..which was my shop."

Cori sat down on the floor next to the pod, a solemn look to her face. "I refuse to be bullied by some clown, and I sure as hell am not giving him what he wants. I'd rather see my shop turned into a pile of ashes." she glanced up at the pod, "I won't give Mako the chance to leave this colony...that's what he is after.."

(So slow, sorry.)
"Well, I guess blowing it to bits is one way to get rid of your shop, so I don't see why Mako has any room to complain now," Xeron chuckled. Xeron continued to listen with no further interruptions until she mentioned Mako's pod getting wrecked. "Wait, he lost a pod to the race while trying to ram you out and *you're* the one that owes him? What kinda wacky logic is that? This place just keeps on getting stranger," Xeron put his hand through his hair while listening to the rest Rocket had to say. His hair stuck straight up for a bit before slowly falling flat onto his head again.

"Wait, now you're being bullied by a clow- Oh wait, metaphor. Sorry, I get confused sometimes with... Well, metaphors and various sayings. Well then, we'll have to find a way to have him not hitch a ride on our plan. Does he know about the warehouse yet?"

Cori nodded to Xerons remarks, "Now do you understand my frustration?" she said chuckling a bit. When he asked if Mako knew of the warehouse she shook her head, "I stay fairly private, the only person who knows I have access to this warehouse is Arka, and being part of the confederacy he has no ties to Mako." she said, letting out a small yawn. "Should get some sleep.." she said, glancing at a watch-like device on her wrist. "It will be morning soon, not that you can tell in the darkness of space."

Cori glanced over at Xeron, looking him over since she really hadn't done so yet. For some reason he really didn't seem that odd to her, though his behavior was still taking a while to get used to. She yawned again and then rubbed her eyes with hands before laying down on the warehouse floor next to the pod. She looked up at the ceiling, millions of thoughts running through her head but one stuck out more than the rest. "You've been to other worlds right? What are they like?" she asked, closing her eyes as she waited for a response.

(No worries, I've been in the hospital with pneumonia and the holidays snuck up on me. So sorry for my late reply as well. They'll probably be slow for a bit till after the holidays, I have a lot of stuff going on)

"Yeah, sleep sounds like a good idea," Xeron nods in response. He checks around the warehouse and looks at the door. "Do we have anything to notify us if someone we don't want in here manages to find their way to us? Just wondering," Xeron crossed over to what Xeron would call a 'comfortable' part of the floor and sat down. He took a small book out of his pocket and began to read for a bit until Rocket asked a question and broke the silence.

"Other worlds? They're... Overwhelming, ever-changing, various shapes, populations, cultures, arts, technologies... There are a lot to all the worlds I've been to, and I haven't even scratched the surface. Whenever I go to a new world, it always has something new, unexpected, and maybe even unexplainable. Once met a bunch of pirates and that cursed cat. The thing just wouldn't let go of me, I think it hated being at sea. It latched onto me and dug it's claws deep into my skin. Fun times.But then there are also worlds that are very serene. This world I went to were the most peaceful days I've ever had. Three moons, one sun and all the evaporated water would slowly descend and lump together in the air, it would look amazing from afar. Ah, I'm rambling now, it's time to get some shuteye, heh," Xeron put down his book which you could clearly see the cover of now and it said "Star Wars".

Within minutes, Xeron had fallen asleep, it had been a long day, and he was sure there would eventually be more like it.

(Ugh, pneumonia, that sucks. I was away for vacation, at least it didn't involve spraining a limb. I guess that's one way to measure if the start of a new day is good, having not broken a limb.)

Cori listened as Xeron spoke of the other worlds, closing her eyes and trying to imagine them. She felt her heart ache as she craved to see it with her own eyes, opening her eyes to see the ceiling of the warehouse. She frowned when Xeron declared he was rambling, glancing over at him as she laid there. She opened her mouth to speak after a few moments, but hesitated as she noticed he was asleep. A small sigh escaped her lips, as she rolled over onto her side to face the door. It was the only way inside this warehouse besides the hanger which was controlled from the office above them.

She already missed her shop, it may have been a mess but to her it was home sweet home. She missed her worn out couch already too, where she often slept after a long day and night of working. The warehouse was cold, and bare except for a few cargo crates of equipment and parts. Cori closed her eyes as she hugged herself, trying to warm herself up. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep as well.

Cori woke with a start after sleeping for a few hours, thinking she heard something when it was probably her dream. She sat up and looked around in the darkness, lifting a hand to rub her eyes as she yawned. She looked over to where Xeron was laying, seeing a glow from his necklace in the darkness. She sat there for a moment, just looking around in the dark listening for any noise. She didn't know why she was suddenly so paranoid. Mako didn't know this place, she kept trying to convince herself. She stood up, and stretched, walking over to the metal stairs that led to the office. She placed her hands on each rail as she made her way up, opening the door as she reached the top. Inside it was cluttered with paper and a small desk hidden under more paper. Cori looked around the office, looking at the pictures on the wall as she walked around the room. Most were pictures from the acadamy and a few from racing. She smiled when she came across one of Arka and her, though her hand was blocking her face. Back when she first opened up, and things seemed like they were changing for the better.

Xeron placed the book in his pocket, it was a small book. He slowly stood up as Rocket made her way over to the office, seemingly lost in thought. He quietly made his way over as well, curious as to where exactly she was going. He peeked around the archway, with the door ajar he could see clearly into the office. His eyes had slightly adjusted to the dimly lit area, and Xeron could see Rocket staring at old pictures. "Who's that?" Xeron said clearly, breaking the silence and pointing at the picture of Rocket and Arka. He carefully walked into the room, as to not disturb anything. "Sorry if I'm intruding, I just let my curiosity get the better of me."

(Bah, holiday times are busy! I'm back!)

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Rift Ripper [1x1]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus