Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Tone Tags

pixl.Bee

... more of a suggestion to the community as opposed to an addition to the site itself.

Hi, so I wasn't sure where to post this... or even if I should have posted it in the first place, but if you're reading it then, well, clearly I did post it.
So. Tone tags. For those who don't know what they are, tone tags are something you can put in your messages (usually at the end) to make your intended tone clear. The /s (sarcasm) tone tag is probably the most well-known example, and, as implied, it shows that whatever you just said was meant to be taken as sarcasm (for example: "I just love when people steal my dessert /s").
The reason for tone tags is that over text, it can sometimes be really hard to know what tone someone meant to use when they said something - especially for non-neurotypical people. Using tone tags can help prevent a lot of confusion and misunderstandings, so I thought it might be helpful to shed some light on them in this community 'cause I've never seen them used or mentioned here.
~~
So here are some examples of the most common tone tags, although there are a lot floating around that aren't as widely used.
/j - joking. Shows that whatever the user just said is a joke or that they're only kidding. (e.g. "You're the worst /j)
/hj - half-joking. Means that whatever was said is sort of a joke... but only sort of. Often conveys that someone is joking about something that is still somewhat serious or important to them. (e.g. "If I don't get some iced tea soon, none of you will be getting a reply from me /hj" or "Do it, coward! /hj")
/srs - serious. Shows that whatever the user just said is meant to be taken seriously; it's not a joke. (e.g. "This really bothers me /srs" or "I want you to pick me up and carry me /srs")
/g - genuine. Can refer to a genuine compliment/statement, or a genuine question. (e.g. "You're such a great friend /g" or "How did you do that? /g")
/p - platonic. Generally for things that could otherwise be taken as romantic, to show that they are only meant in a friendly or platonic manner. (e.g. "I love you /p" or "You're so adorable /p")
/r - romantic. The reverse of the previous one; makes it clear that whatever the user said is meant in a romantic way (e.g. "I love you /r" or "I want to hold your hand /r")
/aff - affectionate. (e.g. "you're ridiculous, you know that right? /aff" or "I'm glad I got to talk to you /aff")
/lh - light-hearted. Something that is said in a light-hearted tone, often used for teasing, jokingly making fun of or arguing with someone. (e.g. "Ugh, you're the worst /lh" or "You just gave me a headache with that post /lh")
/nm - not mad. If you're like me, you live in constant fear that people are mad at you about e v e r y t h i n g. This tone tag makes it clear that someone is, in fact, not mad. (e.g. "I'm going to have to disagree with you there /nm" or "I don't want to talk about that /nm" or "please don't do that again /nm")
/pos - positive connotation. (e.g. "Your mom keeps bringing me cookies /pos" or "Did you see that person's hair? /pos")
/neg - negative connotation. (e.g. "YouTube keeps recommending me clickbait videos /neg" or "This song's been on the radio five times in the last hour /neg"
/neu - neutral connotation. (e.g. "Someone new moved in next door /neu" or "I've seen a lot of posts by this person recently /neu")
(For the record, multiple tone tags can be used in the same message, for example "I really love you a lot /g /r" or "You just gave me like 50 notifications /lh /nm")
~~
Okay, that's it. That's the post.
(Sorry if this is a bad forum to have put this in... I really wasn't sure.)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Tone Tags

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus