Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Help! I need Chinese names for my character-

rabbithead

Hello! I've been struggling for a while to find some Chinese names for my character, who is a girl. I was planning on making her a Genshin Impact oc, originally hailing from Liyue but now living in Mondstadt (hence the chinese name). I originally wanted her name to mean something along the lines of "moon", or have some relation to the moon. However, the only name I found was Ying Yue (映月), which means "reflection of the moon", if I'm not mistaken.

I soon found out that that wasn't really a great name, given that some sites I browsed said the name was tacky or even vulgar, in some cases. And the last thing I wanted was a character with a terrible name, or potentially an offensive one.
I don't speak Chinese, nor am I an expert on the culture. That's why I made this post, in hopes that people who do speak Chinese or know the culture would help me :')

I'm looking for a feminine name! It would be great if it meant "moon" or something similar, but I'm open to suggestions! Names meaning something like "ice" or "fragile" would be great too, if you want to get specific. An accompanying surname would be great too. Thank you for taking the time to read this <3
Maybe one from here?
Click
This is late and you're probably not still looking, but if you are, this could help. It could also help people searching for Chinese names, too.

Ifound a name for my character Fang by searching for popular names in China and referencing the name of famous people from there. I recommend searching like that instead of searching for "Chinese names" because Google will often lead you to Americanized/Westernized versions of names.

Also, I work/live in China: the closest name I've seen to "moon" is actually "bright": Ming or Mingming as a nickname (like Yao Ming). It has the character for moon IN it (明), but I've never seen 月 by itself as a name. Give names are usually two characters (like zhongli or keqing from Genshin Impact) and a family name will make the whole name three characters. However, single character given names aren't unheard of if you want to do that, too.
rabbithead Topic Starter

Thank you both for your suggestions! I did look through the website and find the name "Mei Xing", which I thought was pretty and had a pretty close meaning to what I originally intended.
I'll probably go with Ming, since it does have the character for moon in it and that's what I'm looking for ^^ The name I had originally put together was Yao Mei Xing, but I can definitely go with Yao Ming! Mei Xing (from what I saw on google) meant "beautiful star", so I was really intrigued by that at first (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Your input is greatly appreciated! <3
Mei Xing sounds like a lovely name~

And don't worry about using Yao Ming--I was just using it as an example, haha. It's actually the name of a famous basketball star. Glad I could help!
rabbithead Topic Starter

In that case then I guess I'll stick with the original name I had come up with (Mei Xing) XD But thank you so much again! It was really interesting to learn about Chinese names, and will definitely heed your advice for future Chinese characters I may come up with! Much love <3 <3
Kidd wrote:
Mei Xing sounds like a lovely name~

And don't worry about using Yao Ming--I was just using it as an example, haha. It's actually the name of a famous basketball star. Glad I could help!

And just for fun, Yao Ming is also the name of one of the important characters in the film Big Trouble in Little China!
Mei Xing, btw, is lovely. :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Help! I need Chinese names for my character-

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus