Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Mystery Solving Challenge!

So this started out as me just trying to be funny in the OOC chat, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could be a really fun game.
I recently created a character/setting Lost Oak. I used a reasonably famous source as the inspiration for it and have scattered clues to what that source is all throughout the different pages, characters, and descriptions. So the challenge is as follows:

Head over to the page and see if you're up to the challenge of deciphering the inspiration! (hopefully the link worked, it's my first time trying this) If you think you have it figured out, you can either respond here, or message me directly with your guess. As it is a work in progress I should be able to add more characters, background, and setting every couple days and will continue to scatter clues to the inspiration throughout.

First person to get it right wins major respect points with me, serious bragging rights at the sheer scope of your greatness, and some not insignificant nerd points as well. I'll also definitely put a big kudos on your page so everyone else will know how cool you are.

If anyone can think of a better prize for me to offer, I am open to suggestions. If I were a super established member of the community then I could offer a slot in my busy RP schedule, but I am a newer member and so have lots of open slots that anyone can probably have if they ask.

Hints:

1. It is a single source of inspiration, not an amalgamation of books/movies/tv shows/etc.
2. Clever use of google/bing/wikipedia/etc should nudge you in the right direction. (Assuming input of relevant information)
3. It is not hopelessly obscure or something of amateur (i.e. my own) production.
4. It has been used as inspiration for several things of a reasonable level of modern fame.

I'll post further clues every week starting next Friday if this proves to stump everyone in order to help narrow the field. Who knows, maybe this hung for answers will help you come up with that next great character or break down that writers block that's been hounding you!

So start up your Mystery Machines, dust off your Magnifying Glasses, hang up your Truth Is Out There posters, and make me proud!
fullmarvelalchemist Topic Starter

Update: The link appears to be working! Hooray!
Hi Cassie,

this is probably not the correct reference, but Lost Oaks makes me think of Kingsmouth, Maine the fictional town that is the first area to go through in the MMORPG The Secret World or what it would have been before the dark series of events that took place. Even the picture of the children in Halloween costumes in the snow with what would look to be Krumpus is referred to in game.

Otherwise the only other idea that comes to mind is the cult classic Twin Peaks.
fullmarvelalchemist Topic Starter

Those are both really interesting guesses! And I really like the Lovecraft inspired tie in to Kingsmouth. I actually hadn't even heard of The Secret World before now. But what I am reading makes me think that it would really flip my skirt.

None are the source though. Keep trying!

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Mystery Solving Challenge!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus