Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » [I]An[/i] rp, or [i]A[/i] rp

Most people I've seen that I can recall when referring to an rp say 'a rp', but as you can already tell I use 'an rp'. I realize to some I probably look/sound ridiculous, but I have reasoning behind it which I am unsure is sound.

Sound is ironically the reasoning too, as the term rp, when spelled out as it sounds appears to start with an 'a'.....like arrrr ya know? I've always learned to use an before vowel sounds and I don't recall if I was taught something that made me believe 'an rp' was correct or if I just kind of started using a/an that way for abbreviations regardless of what the actual proceeding letter is in favor of how it sounds.

I feel a little out of my mind over it....simple thing to be broken up over I know but my logical mind is saying I'm wrong while my rational mind is saying I'm right. Yes those are basically both the same portion of mind which only makes things worse.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or perhaps uses a/an in a similar way? Honestly I'd love any comments regarding the subject.

Edit to say: Sidenote - BBCode doesn't work on forum titles 🙄
Thanks, Vold. You've thrown my whole world into question! ;)

My gut reaction was 'a role play so of course it's a rp'. According to grammar.com, my gut reaction was wrong. What ELSE have I been screwing up for decades!?!?! XD

"A" vs. "An" - When to Use
Quote:
Articles with Acronyms, a or an

Finally, the rule applies to acronyms as well. If you pronounce a letter as a letter and it begins with a vowel sound, you should precede it with an. The consonants with vowel sounds include f, h, l, m, n, r, s, and x.

He flew in an SST. He fired an M‑1. He attended an FDA hearing.

By the same token, if a vowel letter, with a consonant sound, is pronounced as a letter, you should use a.

He made a U‑turn.
Alien_Princess Topic Starter

@juls

omg! Well if it makes you feel any better my initial assumption was I was wrong. The fact I am grammatically speaking not has thrown my whole world into question as well.
Rogue-Scribe

Juls wrote:
"A" vs. "An" - When to Use
Quote:
Articles with Acronyms, a or an

Finally, the rule applies to acronyms as well. If you pronounce a letter as a letter and it begins with a vowel sound, you should precede it with an. The consonants with vowel sounds include f, h, l, m, n, r, s, and x.

He flew in an SST. He fired an M‑1. He attended an FDA hearing.

By the same token, if a vowel letter, with a consonant sound, is pronounced as a letter, you should use a.

He made a U‑turn.
Yes 👍
I learned in second grade from Miss Schmidt, one of the most wonderful teachers I had in school the use of ‘a’ & ‘an’. Judging by the examples, it appears they were taken from the Same era... “SST” ... “M1” ... :)

It was also this same teacher who helped me get over some mental blockages I had with English structure and got me started on my way of writing stories! Thank you and Rest In Peace Miss Gretchen Schmidt.
Hades_

\o/ Oh my gosh, no way! An rp is right?!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » [I]An[/i] rp, or [i]A[/i] rp

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus