Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Dyslexic

Lyia (played anonymously)

My boss picked on the fact I might be dyslexic. I feel upset about learning this.
Not sure what to do, I feel alone and always wondered why certian tasks were so difficult. I don't know what to do from here. I don't have all the symptoms but enough to make things difficult.
Lark (played anonymously)

Hey, it's going to be alright. You don't have to feel alone - I know it can be hard, but there are plenty of other people in your situation, who can empathize and offer advice. Plus, there are lots of resources out there that can help out. Actually, knowing this about yourself is a really good start, because it can help you to understand why you've been having difficulties with certain things. Now that you have an answer, it can be easier to find a solution.
Hi Lyia,

I’m a teacher. Some students I work/worked with students have dyslexia. First, no one can or should tell you you have this but a doctor or even better, a neurologist who specializes in Speech disorders. There are a lot of resources and help that is available, again you should ask support groups once you have been correctly diagnosed.

One tool my students use is a program that can be installed by your school if you are still a student or that can be bought and installed on a computer called Word Q.

Definitely ask for help and see your doctor. Don’t just take your boss’s word for it.
Lyia (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Falyn wrote:
Hi Lyia,

I’m a teacher. Some students I work/worked with students have dyslexia. First, no one can or should tell you you have this but a doctor or even better, a neurologist who specializes in Speech disorders. There are a lot of resources and help that is available, again you should ask support groups once you have been correctly diagnosed.

One tool my students use is a program that can be installed by your school if you are still a student or that can be bought and installed on a computer called Word Q.

Definitely ask for help and see your doctor. Don’t just take your boss’s word for it.

Honestly I don't know if I can do all that.
But I did look online about the symptoms.
I'd recommend at least getting in touch with a support group for people with Dyslexia in your area so they can provide you with better resources and help. They can give you better and more accurate information.

I know this is difficult time, but if you do have dyslexia, the proper support and tools like the one I mentioned with Word Q or something similar can go a long way to help. :)

Edit: I’d like to add that dyslexia is a language processing disorder and has nothing to do with one’s intelligence level. ❤️

I currently have a student with dyslexia who is a whiz in mathematics, but writing and reading comprehension is more of the challenge for this student. They are improving with help and the right tools.
I have dyslexia too. I was finally diagnosed in my senior year of high school. I always felt like something was wrong with me. It took be forever to do reading or writing assignments. I have to go over them several times. Same with math. I had to be careful not to flip ot change numbers. By the time I found out I had developed coaping mechanisms to make me appear "normal". But it was a relief to find out that I wasn't crazy and there was a reason by my brain did what it did. Just because you have dyslexia doesn't mean you're not smart. Your brain just works different. I went off and did science and I have my degree in Biology. I know it might be difficult, but at least you know why.
Lyia (played anonymously) Topic Starter

ClockworkDragon wrote:
I have dyslexia too. I was finally diagnosed in my senior year of high school. I always felt like something was wrong with me. It took be forever to do reading or writing assignments. I have to go over them several times. Same with math. I had to be careful not to flip ot change numbers. By the time I found out I had developed coaping mechanisms to make me appear "normal". But it was a relief to find out that I wasn't crazy and there was a reason by my brain did what it did. Just because you have dyslexia doesn't mean you're not smart. Your brain just works different. I went off and did science and I have my degree in Biology. I know it might be difficult, but at least you know why.

Thank you for the encouragement.
Iam just wondering sometimes where in the world I belong.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Dyslexic

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus