Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Magical Mental Health (An Urban Fantasy (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

So, real quick, this is just a concept I've had swimming around for some time and wanted to get onto paper. I'd like to start an RP like this in a Discord server but I need more flesh on these bones, as well as needing to know if people are interested in this concept.

With that said, the premise of this world is composed of the following 5 assumptions:

1. It's the modern day with all of the technology you expect from 2021. Smartphones, cars, the internet, guns, all that jazz.

2. Fantasy races exist and are relatively common. Your teacher can be an elf, your handyman might be a dwarf, your roommate might be a goblin, and your best friend might be a fairy.

3. About 60% of the population is born with a magical power called a Glow (with these people being called Glowers.) This magic can be whatever you want, as long as it isn't overly powerful. You can have a character who can summon and manipulate fire, heal wounds or read minds. (But your character can't have any powers that'll just instantly solve problems or be too complicated to keep track of like invincibility or time travel.) For the same of future examples, we're gonna assume I have a character who can freely manipulate metal that they can see, bending it in whatever way they can.

4. Everyone born with a Glow is also born with a Shade, which is effectively a curse. A Shade is entirely separate from your Shade and a limit on your powers isn't considered a Shade. If you have a character whose Glow is that they can manipulate water and you say that their Shade is that the water needs to be exposed in order to be manipulate, that's not a Shade, that's just a reasonable limit on someone's powers. A Shade needs to be something interesting that actively makes a Glower's life more difficult. Examples of Shades include your body temperature being so hot that you burn objects you touch, random wounds appearing on your body, or being unable to tell the truth. For the above example, we'll say that their Shade is that part of their body has turned to silver. (Specifically their left foot.)

5. Your Glow gets stronger, as in more potent and more powerful, the better your mental health is and the better your state of mind is. In contrast, your Shade gets stronger and more potent the worse your state of mind becomes or the more you give into your problems. For the above example, let's state our metal-bending character has a problem with being too stubborn and close-minded. If this character does something stubborn like rejecting the perfectly reasonable plan of someone else just because it wasn't theirs or refuse to change their worldview, more of their body turns to silver. But if they try to learn new things or go with the flow, their metal-bending becomes more potent, being able to manipulate larger and heavier scraps of metal or being able to exert more finesse.

Now, with all of that there are some things that I haven't worked out and I want you all to help me figure out.
1. The exact setting. Sure it's modern fantasy, but beyond that things are unsure. Would it be better if this RP took place in a small town or a big city? And can the setting get more granular than that like a school/college or neighborhood.

2. What relationship characters would/could have to each other, if at all?

3. What would the plot be focused on and what conflicts would arise, aside from the obvious conflicts of character development and self-improvement.

I hope y'all are interested in this idea and that you leave behind any of your own. I'm already in love with this concept but I'd like to get better ideas on what it ought to be.
Magic 80%
Magic is common.
Technology 50%
Modern
Combat 20%
A peaceful setting, but with a chance for small fights and struggles to break out on a very small scale.
Romance 20%
Romance isn't outright desired, but can happen if we decide the characters are perfect for each other. The romance won't be important to the overall plot.

Details: Freeform, adjustable length posts, long-term RP partner preferred. Will be played with a large group of players.

hey i don't know if you wanted a pm or this but either way i like the idea! it gives proper creativity without being too op or crazy. maybe for the whole conflict situation, you can set a world problem. Maybe a simple villain, maybe a natural phenomenon. just something that can connect a character to the world and each other. i would also love to join lol
LavaCake Topic Starter

foofooboy01 wrote:
hey i don't know if you wanted a pm or this but either way i like the idea! it gives proper creativity without being too op or crazy. maybe for the whole conflict situation, you can set a world problem. Maybe a simple villain, maybe a natural phenomenon. just something that can connect a character to the world and each other. i would also love to join lol

I was thinking of a possible villain for this kind of story (or multiple villains) since its always fun to have a villain that if you piss off enough, they'll just die. Also, waiting for more people to show interest in this idea before I can even really start it up.
INTERESTED
LavaCake Topic Starter

Scarletwolf wrote:
INTERESTED

I'm glad you are! But we need more people if we're to do a group RP like this.
LavaCake wrote:
Scarletwolf wrote:
INTERESTED

I'm glad you are! But we need more people if we're to do a group RP like this.

ok
LavaCake Topic Starter

https://discord.gg/RMD4FpQW2G

Decided to start a server for this concept for further discussion. Hopefully this doesn't implode in on itself.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Magical Mental Health (An Urban Fantasy (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus