Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello everybody?

So, hello umm... Everyone.
Er. So ya, I looked up RP and found this, cool enough, so I'm not really sure how this all works but I guess I'll find out.
-Me
Hello there, MrDungeoncat! Welcome to the RPR!

Is there anything in particular you're having trouble with or want to ask about? I'd be more than happy to help guide you, as would the bazillion* friendly members around here!

*Okay maybe not a bazillion. More like a million-trillion. ;3
TheLily

Hi! It's nice to meet you! I love the picture you chose to represent Sindri - I love that version of Hamlet like none other.
MrDungeoncat Topic Starter

Well, I had no idea the picture was from Hamlet, in fact I thought it was from the old Dune movie. But err, Yes, I suppose I do have some questions. I've started forum RP'ing a little, but how does it all work here? I noticed the find RP "tab" and well, I'm a little confused on how to start.
Hi there MrDungeoncat! Welcome to RPR!

The find RP tab is used to propose games or to join up active games. If you're looking to join a game, you can just hit the 'I'm interested' button when you see something you might like to RP with! Another good place to look would be the Looking for RP forum :) Hope that helps!

Yes, it does, thank you!
MrDungeoncat wrote:
So, hello umm... Everyone.
Er. So ya, I looked up RP and found this, cool enough, so I'm not really sure how this all works but I guess I'll find out.
-Me

If you need anything, I can be of some help. Though I've only been on this website a short while, I think it's safe to say that I know the basics...

Also, if you need a partner, I would be happy to give you a starter. Oh, and welcome to RPR!

1775465334wan.gif
Kim Site Admin

Welcome to the site! There's so many ways to play around here it can definitely be sort of confusing to get started.

I'm not too sure how new you are to RP, but if the overall concept of RP sometimes gives you trouble, here's a few articles that you might find interesting:

New to RP?
Writing for RP
The responsibility of all RPers

As for the site itself, let me see if I can clarify a bit about how to find RP here. :) The site itself is intended to be a sort of omni-forum, that is a welcoming place for people who like any type of RP. So there is a huuuuuge range in terms of specific play styles and game rules. Because we have such a huge range, there's a ton of ways to find RP. The sheer number of options can make your head spin at first, but bear with me! I'll try to talk you through them all. :)

There are many "rooms" or topics that people have started as generally stand-alone stories in the three public RP forums, better known as Fantasy RP, General RP and Sci-Fi RP. You might find one labeled "Open," which means that it's okay to join, although most will still usually ask before joining just to make sure the topic is still open to all.

That said, it's more common for people to start in either the Looking for RP forum, where people post "want ads" for players and characters that will suit their RP, or to hit up the RP Finder. What's the difference? The RP Finder only lists game concepts from people who have been online and active in the last 10 minutes, so if you feel that you need to start a scene right this very second and can't possibly wait a day or two for someone to come back online, The RP Finder gadget is most likely to pair you up with someone who is ready to roll this second. If you want to spend more time planning and plotting with someone, combing through characters until you find exactly the right match, the forum is your best bet.

Finally, there are groups. Groups are most often used by those with exacting requirements for settings, character creation, etc., because groups allows them to write out their story's rules, history, environment, and everything else you need to know to integrate beautifully into the unfolding world on a mini-site, and carry out the RP on their own private forums just for their setting. Because they have all these resources devoted to their one story, and not jumbled in with everything else, groups tend to be the most likely place for long-term continuity play, where every action a character takes becomes part of the world's history forever and ever.

You can find groups here: http://www.rprepository.com/group/browsegroups.php Although I warn that we are still in the process of setting up good ways to search for a group, so it can be a little bit needle-in-a-haystack to just start browsing through the entire list of groups. Groups often recruit from the Looking for RP forums, however, and sometimes even show up in the RP Finder if they are configured to do so, so the above options I mentioned are still totally valid. :)

Please do let me know if you have any other questions, concerns or problems! I won't mind helping.

Thanks Kim! I think I'm starting to understand how the site works, this sounds cool.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello everybody?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus