Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Idea, needing advice

Since I was reported for plagiarism once, I want to avoid it from now on. For example, I have this book and I want to do a plot similar to the story. Should I word it differently and use a link that goes directly to the book on GoodReads, which shows the plot and the author. Is this wise?
Y'know, that's sorta kinda more-or-less the only acceptable way of doing it, my man.

If an idea doesn't belong to you but you wanna play with it, it's best to give credit where credit is due. Sure, sure, it's not like you're gonna write a book and try to earn money with someone else's story, but being honest & crediting the original creator who provided you with the concept and inspiration is only polite.

You wouldn't create an RP about a boy who becomes a Jedi and defeats an evil Empire and then claim that you've never heard of Star Wars before; there's no shame in wanting to do a fanfiction or what-if/alternate reality scenario of works that you like, but just be a dear to the person whom you owe your muse to & give 'em credit!
GarnaalProductions wrote:
Y'know, that's sorta kinda more-or-less the only acceptable way of doing it, my man.

If an idea doesn't belong to you but you wanna play with it, it's best to give credit where credit is due. Sure, sure, it's not like you're gonna write a book and try to earn money with someone else's story, but being honest & crediting the original creator who provided you with the concept and inspiration is only polite.

You wouldn't create an RP about a boy who becomes a Jedi and defeats an evil Empire and then claim that you've never heard of Star Wars before; there's no shame in wanting to do a fanfiction or what-if/alternate reality scenario of works that you like, but just be a dear to the person whom you owe your muse to & give 'em credit!

Agree with this, credit the orginal source and don’t claim the stuff is yours.

For example if I would do a rp or write a story , and the main characters name is Harry Potter and he goes too hogwarts and I claim it’s my orginal story that’s not okay since its obviously from the Harry Potter series,

Giving proper credit is the right thing to do
Kim Site Admin

RP set in the same universe as a book: eg a Harry Potter RP is acceptable (so long as you aren't claiming to be the author of Harry Potter, obvs)
RP inspired by book: eg a magic school RP with school houses etc are acceptable
RP with uncredited text copied and pasted which you did not write: Could get you and RPR into trouble

Ideas are free; you can boil down the plot of Star Wars to 'kid from the boonies joins the resistance against the evil empire and helps to thwart their latest method of oppression' and that describes a million pieces of fiction. The actual execution of an idea is what's protected.
MissLumina wrote:
Since I was reported for plagiarism once, I want to avoid it from now on. For example, I have this book and I want to do a plot similar to the story. Should I word it differently and use a link that goes directly to the book on GoodReads, which shows the plot and the author. Is this wise?

IMO a GoodReads link is not at all needed as long as you phrase the plot in your own words, and if you aren’t sure, perhaps generalize any extremely specific terms that are unique to just one book.

Most ideas are far less unique than people assume. Just don’t copy other people’s work.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Idea, needing advice

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus