Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Ideas Development

I'm working on a new character but I'm having a bit of trouble with coming up with the inspiration. I kinda, sorta, possibly have a small little idea cloud, but I'm missing the BIG idea. Like, I know what name I want to use and what race I want them to be. But, everything else, I'm drawing a blank. Perhaps if I had some advice or even just a couple of ideas shooting around, maybe I'd have a bigger/better idea than what I already have? Please, feel free to shoot me ideas and give me some advice because I am seriously lost (╥_╥)

Oh! I also have a couple of pictures I could use, but I'm having a hard time picking which one. Perhaps you could help me with that, too? DM me or post in the forum, I don't mind either way. I'll put the images up in a separate post for now.
Zuzumen Topic Starter

109d6fe7f0be0c082ae292f17f563be6.jpg

mi_lomi.full.2732662.jpg

These are the two images I had in mind
Zuzumen wrote:
I'm working on a new character but I'm having a bit of trouble with coming up with the inspiration. I kinda, sorta, possibly have a small little idea cloud, but I'm missing the BIG idea. Like, I know what name I want to use and what race I want them to be. But, everything else, I'm drawing a blank. Perhaps if I had some advice or even just a couple of ideas shooting around, maybe I'd have a bigger/better idea than what I already have? Please, feel free to shoot me ideas and give me some advice because I am seriously lost (╥_╥)

Oh! I also have a couple of pictures I could use, but I'm having a hard time picking which one. Perhaps you could help me with that, too? DM me or post in the forum, I don't mind either way. I'll put the images up in a separate post for now.

Hey! First of all, I'm pretty sure your status said you wanted a demon OC, so I'll build off of that and drop off some possible inspo :D
(Also the second picture is awesome)
First of all, there are many types of demon, so I think the best first step would be choosing what kind! (Royalty, Incubus, Imp, and so on). Maybe give him a specific something he kind of holds control over. Like with an Incubus, he could have control over certain types of people with certain interests, or a broad control over emotions themselves. Also, it'll help create a unique personality.

Now for some specific fun things!
What I like to do is give my characters something that sets them apart from each other, whether it's big or small. Maybe your character can have a weird fear, or maybe his hair can hold a special remedy, poison, or even a demonic power.
More physical ideas could be: a special birth mark, sigil, an important scar, or something along those lines.

I really hope this was at least a little helpful!!
Zuzumen Topic Starter

_Apollo_ wrote:
Zuzumen wrote:

Hey! First of all, I'm pretty sure your status said you wanted a demon OC, so I'll build off of that and drop off some possible inspo :D
First of all, there are many types of demon, so I think the best first step would be choosing what kind! (Royalty, Incubus, Imp, and so on). Maybe give him a specific something he kind of holds control over. Like with an Incubus, he could have control over certain types of people with certain interests, or a broad control over emotions themselves. Also, it'll help create a unique personality.

What I like to do is give my characters something that sets them apart from each other, whether it's big or small. Maybe your character can have a weird fear, or maybe his hair can hold a special remedy, poison, or even a demonic power.
More physical ideas could be: a special birth mark, sigil, an important scar, or something along those lines.

Yes! This is super helpful actually because the hardest part right now is figuring out what kind of powers/abilities he could have. I was also thinking he kind of needs a plot, like something he has a goal for or maybe there's a reason he does things instead of just being some kind of villain or not having any idea why he's in the story. The biggest problem I have with roleplaying is finding a plot device that keeps the story moving, it's just really difficult for me. And I was honestly thinking about just going with the second picture. The second one does look a lot better I think.
Zuzumen wrote:
_Apollo_ wrote:
Zuzumen wrote:

Yes! This is super helpful actually because the hardest part right now is figuring out what kind of powers/abilities he could have. I was also thinking he kind of needs a plot, like something he has a goal for or maybe there's a reason he does things instead of just being some kind of villain or not having any idea why he's in the story. The biggest problem I have with roleplaying is finding a plot device that keeps the story moving, it's just really difficult for me. And I was honestly thinking about just going with the second picture. The second one does look a lot better I think.

Oh! I understand that struggle all too well. Whenever I make a character I usually do try to fit them into a certain base plot just to make my life easier. For a demon, you could have his story be about, not becoming better, necessarily, but finding himself. This can be a good or bad thing. Another idea is, maybe he can be a part of an organization sent to overrun the hierarchy of Hell, or maybe some power-hold on Earth. Yet another idea is: Maybe he wants to become human, so, while it's impossible, he does his best to become human, acting like them, eating like them, even ignoring his own demonic powers.

I hope this kickstarted some fun ideas for you XD

Oh! Another thing I find helpful is having a roleplay with the new OC in it right off the bat, that way YOU can start to connect with your own character, and develop him, his plot, and the way you perceive him. :)
Zuzumen Topic Starter

These are some really good ideas. I like the idea of possibly being part of an organization, I might use that. Thanks alot for the ideas and advice, I'll try and see what I can come up with. Who knows, maybe you can be my first rp partner with him?
I hope you have fun making him!! I bet he'll turn out great.

Maybe! I myself am working on more characters so if any of them spike your interest, feel free to let me know.

I'm super glad I could help, and I wish you the best of luck!
Zuzumen Topic Starter

I've been thinking and...I kinda wanna make him a demon shapeshifter kind of thing. I'm not really sure. I don't know if I want to make another incubus because I already have an incubus character (Though he's nothing like the current character I'm creating) I just feel like I don't want to have multiples of the same character type, if that makes sense?
I understand that feeling. Maybe you can make him an experimental breed. As in, He's an incubus, but unlike previous generations of Incubi and Succubi. He can have different strengths and weaknesses, power over different things. He can be created as an experiment, or he can even be a mix between an Incubus and an Imp or something!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Ideas Development

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus