Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Suggestion: Option to remove page title in body

While this is mostly a personal irritation, I've let it bother me long enough to make a suggestion. So...

I would like to suggest an option to remove the page title from appearing as the Body header on each page of a Character as in most cases it needlessly distracts from the prose or in the case of phrased page titles is taken completely out of context.
Sanne Moderator

I can't comment on any official decision on this matter, but I do have an alternate option for you.

If you become an Epic member, you can customize a template with CSS.

If you use the following line of CSS coding, you can opt to not display page titles. (If you want it for only specific pages then it becomes more complex with static IDs, but if you don't know much CSS it will just be confusing. So this code will apply to all pages:)
Code:
.pagetitle { display: none; }

If the above code makes your page look warped or broken, use this code instead:
Code:
.pagetitle { visibility:hidden; }

Some templates look better with one option or the other, so it's a matter of trying out. The second option is definitely the safest though. :)
Conora Topic Starter

Oh it'll be the first thing I kill when I get around to doing custom templates (not much different from working with proboards style tags from what I've seen), but I was more thinking of it in the default templates. I should likely have clarified that point, although I do understand it's really just a minor personal annoyance that I felt others could potentially share.
Sanne Moderator

Conora wrote:
Oh it'll be the first thing I kill when I get around to doing custom templates (not much different from working with proboards style tags from what I've seen), but I was more thinking of it in the default templates. I should likely have clarified that point, although I do understand it's really just a minor personal annoyance that I felt others could potentially share.

I understand what you meant! :) But Kim is the only one who can comment on a default, site-wide application of a possible feature like this, so I decided to offer an alternative until she gets around to post here. Other members can also benefit from suggestions and alternatives to suggestions, so everyone wins. :D

It's somewhat similar to Proboards style tags, but much more raw. (Potentially more complex, although I don't know how much you know about CSS.) You'll have to copy over an existing stylesheet from the template you're using and then modify the coding that you want to change (or add extra lines if the bit of code you want to use doesn't exist in it yet). If you don't know how stylesheets work it can be a bit daunting. If you ever run into any trouble with it, you can always post in our Help board or even send me a PM directly. I've coded and designed a couple of templates, including some official ones, so I'd be happy to walk you through it.
Kim Site Admin

I know it bothers some people, but we do try to keep a relatively predictable structure to various profiles even as the aesthetic changes. I usually avoid offering options to drop titles that can help people orient themselves to where they are. Sorry! :(

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Suggestion: Option to remove page title in body

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus