Skip to main content

Forums » Help » So I'm wondering...

I have absolutely 0 knowledge of the finer points of programming, so I'm afraid I can't really answer this one on my own beyond a Google search...

But why can't I use certain symbols in the links for character profile pages? There are many instances where I could've thrown in an '!' at the end of a page name (for aesthetic reasons) but the editor gives me the dialogue of "Nope" in protest.

Is it a security measure? A matter of program-ese getting jumbled if it reads a symbol?
I'm not sure, but usually if symbols aren't allowed it's because they have a special meaning in the context of whatever language/platform you're dealing with. An ! isn't actually an ! in html, for example. To get a ! to be seen as a ! you need to use !, which is htmlese for !.

In your case when you use the literal !, the parser of your link might mistranslate it because it expects ! to mean something.

Other times it might just be to keep things clean and not get people whose character links are along the lines of .../c/çç&é"à!'ç!&è"'&)'è)é'$$µù

You are on: Forums » Help » So I'm wondering...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus