Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » join if you got adhd/add

Saturninum wrote:
Aardbei wrote:
My heart goes out to you. I have a similar situation, but with a different issue. (related to my physical disability though.) It's rough when you're an anomalous patient, has to be worse with mental health issues which we barely understand already.

Yuuup. I can't take just about any psychological-related medication because I get symptoms ranging from 'lol that's weird' to "MY HEART RATE IS 200 AND I AM ON THE C U S P OF STROKE." Anxiety meds trigger hypotension-induced fainting episodes, antidepressants give me weird psychosomatic and/or autonomic symptoms (hello wellbutrin and constant yawning, hypersensitive smell and taste, and sWEATING HOT HOT HOT), and stimulants would probably just...kill me, given the number of contraindicating conditions I have. >_> I did gene testing a while back ago that showed that I would have adverse effects to like 90% of them anyways though lmao.

It's not fun. I already have one memory impairing disease (and we're now doing testing to make sure I don't have another, since the two are very commonly associated) so having unmedicated ADHD on top of that is a goddamn nightmare. I can literally have entire conversations two, three, four times with people without ever realizing that we had already had it before. my friends like to make fun of me for it, but it just means the same joke is always funny My long-term memory just...ain't there. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older, and it's probably only going to continue to progress. Which is mildly annoying because my ADHD has also worsened. My memory - and to an extent, cognitive - capacity often feels like a rabid squirrel on bath salts trying to remember where it stored its nuts for the winter.

It has its perks, though. Nobody ever asks me to remind them of stuff. And I always have an excuse if I forgot something. B)

Yeah, I don’t actually have a high heart rate myself, but with Aderall, my heart rate was at like, 175 which for a 14 year old, is not good at all. I was diagnosed at age… something… i was young, so maybe 6 or 7… but I’ve tried everything…
hello!

i've been diagnosed since kindergarden and ive been on and off medications since fourth grade (or even earlier, but that's as early as i remember). as someone who's been through so many ieps, medications, therapy, and more, just know that if you have any questions please ask!

i am here to offer advice on how to help, managing it on and off medication, and more! bonus points for me constantly learning about it every day and just about to finish a ECE course on disabilities (yes! adhd is a disability, folks) so i can always offer more information that i found out through my class as well. and i just finished a speech about adhd (and specifically...why it sucks)

i've only taken vyvanse in terms of medication but if you have any questions about what it's like and how it can effect you, im always here and awaiting questions!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » join if you got adhd/add

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus