Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Students vs Burglars [18+]

Aaron Greenvalley (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"No problem". Matthew said.
"Some social activity is refreshing. I have a drivers license, but I made a decision that I want to save some cost by doing my primary transportation with bicycle. Also, I have really bad experiences with used cars. My last car got some kind of engine failure. It lots 80% of its power all the sudden, smoked me inside like a overcooked chicken, and finally cost ridiculous amount of money to repair. Two days after that, something blew up again, so I decided to scrap the whole junk. After that I have not owned a car. Speaking of cars and conspiracy theories Danny, are you familiar with flat earthers, black hebrew isrealites and sovereign citizens?" Matthew asked. He had found number of strage stuff as digging through christian and muslim communities. Sometimes youtube suggested videos that had led him into 4-hour rabbits holes and finally getting lost into "black hole of youtube"
"Flat Earthers, yes. It started out as a joke when the Flat Earth Society was formed. Unfortunately, the joke got lost somewhere along the way and people began to take it seriously and actually defend the idea and get offended and try to argue if you attempt to debunk it. That's one of the more boring conspiracy theories honestly. The Qanon people are fascinating and the fact that thousands really do believe Donald Trump won the election two years ago. It's crazy," Danny explained. "Our society is in a sad state when people refute facts and common sense. Maybe that's why I'm not religious. I completely agree with you about spending hours going down rabbit holes on YouTube and listening to podcasts, though."

"Since im studying human body and its functions, I seek rational answers and logic. What fascinates me in some religions is that there are some scientific facst and very deep thought along with the weird or controversial stuff. Also, some things point out some fundamental problems in our society. I dont practice any religions, but some of my findings have got me thinking some really deep stuff. How could jews know such detailed hygiene and nutritions laws? Scientifically, that was clearly ahead of its time. Also, existence of life. How is fine tuning possible, and how nothing created everything? That should be scientifically impossible. Kinda like putting a nuke under garbage pile, and after detonation, there appears google server. How can chaos create order, while that should violate second law of thermodynamics? And yet, the whole society teaches that in schools. Even bigger problem is subjective morality. Whatever person decides is true, while ignoring the facs, saying there are no absolutes. "Do what ever makes you happy", is their mantra. To one its demonstartions, to one its storming the capitol hill, to one its robbing banks at gunpoint. So, this kind of stuff are the kind of gems im looking for." Matthew explained.

He looked at Meg and Danny, wondering did he speak too much. He felt that he might have interesting discussions with Danny in the future, but was unsure if the feeling was mutal.
"The whole 'alternative facts' thing, as the political right calls it is indeed fascinating. That's perhaps why I'm so interested in right-wing conspiracy," Danny agreed. "All you have to do is point at something now, yell 'fake news' at it, and it immediately becomes untrue. What a world we live in! Fox News did to our parents what they feared MTV was going to do back in the 1980s to the Gen-Xers. You know, legend says the 'M' stood for Music and they actually just played music videos all day before they became a reality channel in the 90s. Man, I wish I was alive in that decade!"

Danny glanced at Meg who seemed completely lost and bored. Clearly, he had a connection with Matthew but Meg wasn't into conspiracy, science or religious discussions.

"So, uh, about that tour," Danny pressed turning to her.
"Oh yeah," Meg replied as if she had tuned the guys out. She turned onto another street. One of the city busses was stopped picking up passengers at a corner bus stop.

"So that's the bus service so you know what they look like," Meg explained pointing.

"Ah, so that's what that big brick-like vehicle is for," Danny replied. "I take it I don't want to get on the big yellow ones with the smaller people."

Meg rolled her eyes and punched him in the arm.

"By the way, the trip to the store is free. But there is a $50 per passenger charge for the return trip."

"Guess I'd best learn the bus system then," Danny mused. "Route 43 was the one that went by our apartment complex?"

Meg drove around pointing out the college campus that spanned several blocks. She showed a few popular restaurants and coffee shops nearby and a comic book store as well as a few of the local bars and fast food places.

They finally pulled into the parking lot at Target. Meg found a parking spot and got out. "Here we are," She announced. There were several other stores in the shopping center besides Target, which took the majority of the space being the anchor store.

As the three were heading to the shops, Matthew made some plans what alse he would need. He was also a bit concern about their return trip. He did appreciate the assistance to get to the store, but he had a feeling there might be some bad blood with the newcomers. As a tactical move, he decided to get something for Meg as well. They might have to deal with each other in the future, so it would be a waste to let one bikelamp tour while being too loudmouth ruin everything. He would seek for a moment when Meg would be bit further from Danny, to ask what she needed.
Danny hopped out Meg's Kia after she parked. "Ah, Target," He proclaimed, stating the obvious. "One of Dani's favorite places. We'd go into window shop and she's inevitably come out with at least 2 bags of stuff."

"Girls love Target, what can I say," Meg replied.

"Okay, so we need to go over near the bicycles for Matthew's headlight, Danny needs something to sleep on. Air mattresses would probably be near sporting goods. I'd imagine that would probably be near the camping stuff. You'll probably need a small air pump, so that's probably going to be in the automotive section. Do you have sheets and a blanket?"

Danny nodded. "Well, the blanket. I'll need sheets and a couple of pillows. We can stop by the linen section. It wouldn't hurt to grab a few snacks, too," he mused.

"Let's just circle the whole store," Meg suggested. "I'm assuming you didn't make a list before we left?"

"Negative. Planning was the other Dani's thing. I just sort of wing it," Danny replied.

"Oh, let's stop by the Starbucks in the snack area," Meg suggested.

"Sure, I can spot you," Danny offered. "You did play chauffer after all."

The trio began making their way towards the entrance of the store.

OOC: Also, there is no bad blood between anyone. I'm not clear how that conclusion was reached.

Matthew had not been in Target fow a while. Since he had settled down long time ago, he had all of his things primarily in order. As they moved forward calmly chatting alonge the shelves, he concluded that perhaps the situation at the car had not been so bad afterall. He also decided that he would at least try to pay the drinks for everyone as a gesture of grattitude for Meg.

"Danny, do you have dished and dining tools? Also, you would need to complete the set with washing detergent for dishes and the official currency of the Covid time.. toiletpaper. Lets take the smaller version, or alse we need to rent a trailer to get back."
The group stopped at the snack bar first. Meg got a cup of Starbucks. Danny opted for a soda from the fountain. From there, they grabbed a cart and made their way through the store.

"Danny, do you have dished and dining tools? Also, you would need to complete the set with washing detergent for dishes and the official currency of the Covid time.. toiletpaper. Lets take the smaller version, or alse we need to rent a trailer to get back."

"Yeah, good point. I mostly do delivery and take out and they tend to give you plastic utensils. I'm debating if I should just get a package of plastic forks, knives, and spoons or splurge and get silverware," he mused.

"All that trash is bad for the environment! Get some utensils and a basic set of plates and bowls and maybe a set of drinking glasses," Meg urged.

Danny nodded. "Sure, why not? I'll get some dish detergent for the dishwasher, too," he said. "TP and paper towels are definitely a must."

"What about a bath towel, shampoo, soap, toothpaste and stuff like that," Meg pressed.

"Shower stuff and a towel? Yeah. I need that. I have a toothbrush and toothpaste," he confirmed. "Uh, let's see... sleeping stuff. Yeah, I'll that air mattress and a pump to blow it up. some sheets, a couple of blankets, and a pillow..."

"What about furniture," Meg asked. "I mean we're here unless you want to get nicer stuff than Target. We could always go to Bed, Bath and Beyond or Ikea if you want."

"Eh, let's see. I can always order stuff and have it delivered later. I will need a desk and chair," Danny said.

"You should get a trash can! Two at least. One in the kitchen and one for the bathroom if nothing else," Meg suggested.

"Sure," Danny replied nodding. "Let's stick to the little stuff so we don't need a trailer like Matt said. Oh! We need to go by the bicycle stuff. He needs a new headlight for his bike!"

"Sounds like a plan". Matt said. "Meg should pay attention on how much stuff we can buy. You do know the capacity of you trunk, right? Oh, and for your information, Danny, Aaron can propably borrow you some tools or assist you on assembling new furnitures. Just keep in mind, that the only exeption is Ikea. He told me that he will rather play whack-a-mole with wasp nests than assemble an ikea furniture. He has a desk from Ikea, and he hates it."
Meg nodded.

"As long as we don't get any large furniture, we should be fine," She replied.

"I'll just order stuff for delivery," Danny said. "Yeah, I'm with you on Ikea. I think everyone hates buying stuff from there because it is hard to put together and the instructions are a nightmare. I can never follow the diagrams. Still, it's a cheap means of getting a desk. I may go with an office supply store like Staples or Office Max. I'm just mostly concerned about things that I'll need tonight. Once I get back, I can finish setting up Amazon Prime and a few other things and order. Then you'll never see me again!"

"You better not disappear," Meg retorted. "I live next door. I won't let you."

"You sound like Dani now," Danny grumbled. "I'll start calling you Dani 2. You have to like Batman, though. That's like her thing."

"Not Batgirl," Meg asked.

Danny shook his head. "Nope. Batman," he repeated and held up his keychain. On it was a rubber figurine of Batman's sidekick, Robin The Boy Wonder. "She has Batman on hers. She gave me this Robin years ago. It's to remind me that I'm the sidekick. Maybe you can be Batgirl."

Danny turned back to Matt. "Let's check the bicycle section for your headlight," he suggested and lead the way to that section of the store.

"It seems to be in that direction" Matt said, while noticing the signs at the ceiling. He followed along, gazing the shelves left and right. He got many cool ideas what would be nice to buy, but he did comprehend that he could not buy much before his next payday.

"I never really got into superhero genre. No hard feeling tough. My dad used to show me some Dragonball. Bunch of dudes screaming their lungs out beat each other to pieces. I sometimes wonder, why do people have to invent planet destroying superheroes and planet destroying super villains? Once the planet is gone, what you gonna do? Argue in space? Also, that amount of screaming would only be realistic if they had kidney stone" he said.

"(or going to toilet after consuming 4 pounds of carrots. Man.. that would make a good meme.)" Matt thought deep in his mind. Danny might understand toilet humor, but he would not try such topic with Meg.

"You also like Staples Danny? They have some really good stuff there. Aaron once lend me a Mitsubishi he bought from there. He told me that it was like no other pen in the world, and he was particularly jealous to get it back. That was probably because it had a price tag of 10 dollars."

Group had found their way to the bike section. Matt picked up a set, that he could be attached directly into a helmet. That way he would never lose his lamps again. One white lamp to the front side and one red light to the rear side.

"This looks good. As long as I have my helmet, I have my lights with me."
"It seems to be in that direction" Matt said, while noticing the signs at the ceiling. He followed along, gazing the shelves left and right. He got many cool ideas what would be nice to buy, but he did comprehend that he could not buy much before his next payday.

Danny nodded and followed as Matt took the lead. Meg was pushing the cart and trailing behind the guys a few steps but had no problem keeping up.

"I never really got into superhero genre. No hard feeling tough. My dad used to show me some Dragonball. Bunch of dudes screaming their lungs out beat each other to pieces. I sometimes wonder, why do people have to invent planet destroying superheroes and planet destroying super villains? Once the planet is gone, what you gonna do? Argue in space? Also, that amount of screaming would only be realistic if they had kidney stone" he said.

"Dragonball Z is more anime in my book," Danny replied shrugging. "I never got into those shows where the characters fly around zapping each other with lightning and talking crap to one another. It was pretty mindless. But to each his own. I dig the traditional stuff like Marvel but DC, particularly Batman and Robin was mine and Dani's thing."

"(or going to toilet after consuming 4 pounds of carrots. Man.. that would make a good meme.)" Matt thought deep in his mind. Danny might understand toilet humor, but he would not try such topic with Meg.

"You also like Staples Danny? They have some really good stuff there. Aaron once lend me a Mitsubishi he bought from there. He told me that it was like no other pen in the world, and he was particularly jealous to get it back. That was probably because it had a price tag of 10 dollars."

"Mitsubishi? The car company," Danny repeated. "They make pens? I knew they did tvs and other stuff. What makes their pens so great? As for Staples, I don't know that I'd say 'I like it.' It's just a good source for office stuff. What I like is ordering things off Amazon. I'll probably just get any furniture I need from there unless there is some advantage to buying it from an office place, which I doubt."

Group had found their way to the bike section. Matt picked up a set, that he could be attached directly into a helmet. That way he would never lose his lamps again. One white lamp to the front side and one red light to the rear side.

"Whatever works for you," Danny replied. "Hmm, I'm used to taking the bus or Uber back home, but it might be nice to get a bicycle. I noticed the bus I saw had a bike rack on the front just like back home. It might be useful if I have to go a few blocks to a bus stop. I mean the bus literally stops right outside our apartment complex, but I might go somewhere where the transfer route is a couple of blocks. It might be good to have a bike to get around campus or something."

"Mitsubishi? The car company," Danny repeated. "They make pens? I knew they did tvs and other stuff. What makes their pens so great? As for Staples, I don't know that I'd say 'I like it.' It's just a good source for office stuff. What I like is ordering things off Amazon. I'll probably just get any furniture I need from there unless there is some advantage to buying it from an office place, which I doubt."

"For me, choosing to buy something from the shop or online store is a sign that they are worth of my time and money. If some store fails miserably in their service or products, I may think twice for going there. I was surprised as well to know that Mitsubishi was making pens as well. To some extent, I understand the price. That pen can write nearly on any surface, on any angle, on any temperature. Aaron told that it even works on sub zero temperatures. Also, it will always write on first draw, so the tip never dries, like common pens do. That is a rare feat for ballpoint pens. The biggest downsides are the price and its tip has rather weak lock. You have to glue it shut, or it will shoot the mechanism out, if you are not careful. Aaron had used some acrylic paint to keep it together. When I start to think of it, that is a really shameful flaw for a Japanese company. But then again, I have heard that Japanese have different quality standards for foreign and domestic market. I guess they either don't want to export their best , or they are afraid of copycats."

"Whatever works for you," Danny replied. "Hmm, I'm used to taking the bus or Uber back home, but it might be nice to get a bicycle. I noticed the bus I saw had a bike rack on the front just like back home. It might be useful if I have to go a few blocks to a bus stop. I mean the bus literally stops right outside our apartment complex, but I might go somewhere where the transfer route is a couple of blocks. It might be good to have a bike to get around campus or something."

"You wanna buy a bike now? We could load some more stuff in the car in that case. You want some suggestions on choosing a bike? Im not a bike expert, but since I have done lots of deliveries, I know the town and its quirks quite well." Matt asked.

"In terms of shops, how was the saying, your money is where your mouth is? We talk and buy the stuff we like. And what comes to the 10 dollar pen, there is a good reason. That pen can write nearly on any surface, on any angle, on any temperature. It even works on sub zero temperatures. Also, it will always write on first draw, so the tip never dries, like common pens do. That is a rare feat for ballpoint pens. The biggest downsides are the price and its tip has rather weak lock. You have to glue it shut, or alse it will shoot the mechanism out, if you are not carefull. Aaron had used some acrylic paint to keep it together."

"I can't think of any situation where I need to write a note in sub-zero temps," Danny mused. "The fact that you have to glue a $10 pen together to keep it from exploding is also not selling me on it. I'll stick with my cheap-ass Bic pens, thanks." He chuckled a little.

"You wanna buy a bike now? We could load some more stuff in the car in that case. You want some suggestions on choosing a bike? Im not a bike expert, but since I have done lots of deliveries, I know the town and its quirks quite well." Matt asked.

"Hold on," Meg objected. "Unless you are planning to ride that bike home, not today. I don't have room for that."

"Fair enough," Danny replied. "I can take the bus back up here another day and then use the bike rack on the front of it to get it home. That's an excuse for another adventure. So, Matt... as the apparent bike expert what would you recommend?" Danny began looking up and down the aisle of bikes.

Meg had no interest in getting a bicylce. As the boys checked out the selection she stood in the main aisle and sipped her coffee.

"Hey girl," A voice said from behind her. A slightly taller dark haired girl with her cart loaded to the brim rolled up next to Meg.

"Wednesday! What are you doing here," Meg asked.

"Same as you," she replied. "Gotta get my Target fix."

She noticed Matt and Danny looking at the bikes and cocked a questioning eyebrow.

"Who are they," She asked turning to Meg. "They aren't with you, are they?"

"Oh yeah, they're my neighbors from my apartment complex. We just met," Meg replied.

"Time to get out of the ghetto," Wednesday said smirking as she watched the two busily discussing bicycles further down the aisle. The pair hadn't noticed the newcomer Meg was talking to yet.

Meanwhile Meg was starting her conversation with Wednesday, Matt and Danny ventured the bike area. Most of the bikes were priced between 200 and 500 dollars. They all seemed to have rather similar equipment.

"It seems that they mostly sell 21-speed or 24-speed bikes here. I think the price comes from wight of the frame and quality of the parts. I believe that 200 dollar bikes are durable enough to get you home, but if they survive until the end of their guarantee time, a miracle has occurred. Solid frame might survive, but any moving parts would fail you long before that. I would not consider a suspension on a 200 dollar bike safe. Surely, I would not dare to take such thing to off road environment. If you stay strictly to the paved roads, it might serve you for a while, but going too fast from road to sidewalk may send you to ER. I don't say this for a fact, but more of my personal hunch. Suspension in general makes driving more comfortable, but it also makes your bike look more attractive to thieves. Solid full steel frame can take nearly any beating, but it weights so much that you smell like a skunk once you arrive to any destination. Expensive bikes are somewhat lighter, but for occasional biking it does not make sense. I used to have carbon fiber bike with hydraulic brakes, but those things cost so much, you can only park it safely next to your own bed. In student environment, they are not practical. With my lifestyle, I need to renew my breaks every 2 months, but for less frequent usage, they can operate 3-5 months. They will eventually run out, so its normal. I can show you some tricks how to make them last longer. No matter what kind of bike you choose, select a model that has both wheels covered with fenders. On a rainy days, you will see the difference. Also, make sure that the bike has some kind on cover over the front gears. Preferably, front gears and chain should be covered entirely on one side until the first half of the bike. Some bike have no cover over the gears, and that setting WILL shred your pants to pieces. Been there, done that, not recommended."

Matt pointed to one bike that had no cover over the gears"

"See, this makes a nasty damage very quickly. Then, about the security matters. Two locks is a must. One lock should be integrated to the frame, and one U-lock with a key. Bigger you can get, the better. Don't ever buy number combination locks or cable lock as your primary security. Steel cable is easy to cut, even if it is thick. U-locks are solid steel, and they are significantly safer. Always lock your bike into a solid object from the frame, even if it takes more time. If you want to be extra safe, have an integrated lock on rear wheel, lock the froth wheel and frame to solid object with U-lock and use steel cable to lock both wheels and frame. This will help in most cases, but professional bike thieves will take any bike, no matter how well its locked. Fortunately they have bigger interest on brand bikes, so our bikes would not be their primary target. Many bikes have quick lock "switch" to remove front and rear wheels for maintenance. That is why you must have a separate lock to secure every wheel. I have seen many people lock just front wheel of their bike to an object. The day after, I only see a front wheel with a lock on it. If the bike has a quick lock switch, thieves don't even need any tools to steal rest of the bike. Also, you don't want a bike with hydraulic brakes. They don't necessarily sell them here, but if they do, they are a goldmine for thieves. With one hexagonal key and 30 seconds, they can steal a component worth of 100 dollars, that can sold anywhere with minimum risk of getting caught. This is why you never ever should leave bike with hydraulic brakes to any unsecured location, because there is no way you can lock those components. If you lose 100 dollar brakes from 500 dollar bike.. you get the point, right?"

Matt had the full steam on, since he was biking year round. Many of these things he shared with Danny he wish someone had told him already many years ago.

"Oh, and one more thing. They might sell here U-lock under the brand of "Kryptonite". I have heard a rumor that there is circling a YouTube video that shows you how to pick any Kryptonite lock with a pencil. After hearing that, I don't dare to buy their products. Just in case."
Danny listened attentively as Matt pointed out different features and gave his reasoning on what to look for in a good bike and what to avoid. Danny looked at several models. "Well, let me think about it," he said finally. "As Meg pointed out, she doesn't have room in her car and I was just here to get the essentials to get me through the night. I can always take the bus up here again and either ride the bike home or use the bike rack on the front to get it back to the apartment. I saw we have a bike rack by the apartment building."

"Oh, and one more thing. They might sell here U-lock under the brand of "Kryptonite". I have heard a rumor that there is circling a YouTube video that shows you how to pick any Kryptonite lock with a pencil. After hearing that, I don't dare to buy their products. Just in case."

"I think just having a chain with a good old-fashioned combo lock should do it," Danny replied shrugging. "I'll worry about that when I get a bike."

Just then he noticed Meg was talking to another girl. "Whoa, who is that," He asked aloud. He glanced toward Matt to see if he knew the newcomer.
Matthew Smith (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

Matt looked curiously towards the newcomer as well. Even tough he had been in the town probably the longest time, he had never seen her before. Squirrelden was not the biggest town in the area, but it surely was no tiny village either.

"This is new for me as well. However it seems that Meg knows her"

Matt started heading towards two of them, spinning the lamp in his hands.

"Hey Meg, found a familiar face?"
"Hey Meg, found a familiar face?"

Meg turned to Matt and Danny as they came back down the bicycle aisle toward the cart. "Oh, hey! This is Wednesday! She's the one I was telling you about. We're in the band together," Meg replied excitedly.

"I just met Danny today. He literally just moved in and we're helping him get a few things to get through the night until he can get stuff ordered," Meg explained. "I met Matt yesterday. He lives in my apartment complex, too. We're all neighbors. Danny plays; bass. If we ever decided to expand the band maybe we can use him."
Matthew Smith (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"Nice to meet you. Im Matt. Meg was generous to give us a ride today." Matt said to Wednesday.

"Im just hanging around, came to fill up my supplies. Sports is my thing, music unfortunately not. I only know how to ring the bell of my bike. Is anyone hungry by the way?"

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Students vs Burglars [18+]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus