Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Woodland Clockwork

Be it from venturing into the woods on a dare or just getting from house to house on a foggy Halloween night, somehow you've gotten lost. Almost. Behind you is a lingering fog bank where you can just see the flickering lights of your home, you could walk back if you feel the need to run, but the brave, curious, or foolish may be drawn on by the scene ahead.

Ahead is a forest clearing walled in by mist that seems nearly solid, and by the momentary glimpses of faces, hands, and glowing eyes, is keeping some very, very dangerous creatures or spirits at bay. Also at the edges, seeming to anchor the mists are the tallest trees you've ever seen, towering like skyscrapers and disappearing into the darkness. One tree on the far side of the clearing has a ramp leading down between the roots to a large garage-like door and a more normal door to its right. Both are sealed, and there's an ominous line of runes at the top of the ramp glowing a threatening dark red, barring access. Between that ramp and the path you've come down is a pathway loosely defined by machines of wood and metal. None of the machines would look out of place in an old-school mad scientist's lab. For now, save the faint glow of their own unsettling inscriptions, they sit idle, silent, waiting.

Even closer to you, on a stump about the size of a dinner table, is a pumpkin carved to resemble a skull with a bifurcated jaw, two eyes to the left, and a ring of three eyes to the right. A pleasant smelling candle glows and wafts warm, smokey mist from within, blanketing the ground around it and offering a comforting glow. A metal plaque on the side of the stump reads: "Find the coffer, and slake your hunger on the wings of freedom. You will need tools and wits to match my own, though I can offer you the tools. Think well."

This Trick or Treat RP is a second attempt of a concept I did before, essentially a mechanical puzzle game. A key change from last time is that I'll try and show some technical sketches of key assemblies of the puzzle-parts, both of the machines and of the "inventory items" and you will get and need to use to solve the puzzles. If you ever don't know what something is, or a description isn't lining up, please ask! I'll be happy to clarify. Please don't try to break my machines, by the way, I spent a long time building them.

Good luck!

-Victi

P.S. Everything you need to pick up will be easy to see. I'm challenging your brains, not your eyes.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Woodland Clockwork

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus