Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Tell Me Something You're Passionate About :)

I just wanna hear something you guys hold closes to you either it be family, art, writing, just anything at all.
Luscinioide

oh boy oh boy you've opened a dangerous can of worms, i am now going to rant to you for approximately four thousand words (4000) about my year-long hyperfixation.

<clears throat>

okay so. the project genesis pipeline. also known as the explanation for "ew luscin why are all your characters japanese are you a weeb"

about a year ago, on one fateful january evening, i made a questionable decision to auto-buy a character for copious amounts of money. luscin, you ask, how is this even remotely relevant to the story? bear with me, alright. anyways. that character started this whole damn thing. they will be referred to as four because four was their original name.

four, i decided, would be my debut into the cyberpunk genre. i'd always liked sci-fi, but space opera was too much for me to dip my toes into, and i found that it focused too much on 'space' and not enough on 'science.' cyberpunk was a good in between for me, and it has a strong focus on medical science, which i quite enjoy. and so, i came up with four's first "version". some of you guys might remember them lol. ....they are now a she that goes by kinoshita

BUT i couldn't just have one character. no. four needed a background, and to have a background, i needed more characters. thus came kizumashi, majima, and later on, mitsuki and vexel. but i couldn't just have characters, now could i? i needed a setting to flesh out the background in. and i needed to flesh out the backgrounds of the characters involved in four's background. and if i was going to make a setting, i might as well go full world building so i could have a continuous story between all of the characters with interconnections from four's background.

you can see where this is going, can't you?

fast forward to nanowrimo of last year, and i have literally like. a 20+ character cast, enough material to write 3 books (which have all been outlined, dear god), an entire world built from scratch that's hideously in-depth, and i've spent god knows HOW much time and money developing this stupid little thing. i'm practically a ####ing expert on prosthetics and cyberpunk-related medical science from the sheer amount of hours i've poured into pulling up medical scholarly articles to make sure i get things right. i don't even want to talk about how much research i've done for japanese culture. cyberpunk is all anybody associates me with. people look at me and assume i've been doing this my whole life but no, i just had the most beastly hyperfixation to ever exist

the project genesis book series will probably never be finished before i die, but whatever. it's the thought that counts. and by that i mean the tens of thousands of words worth of lore documents i have (i actually coded some of them pretty nicely, but i won't link them here because i don't know if anyone's interested). and the 50+ pieces of art i've done for the cast

yes my adhd is hideously unmedicated

thanks for coming to my ted-talk
Claine Moderator

xTi4zr7.png

I tend to try and not talk people's ears off, but you literally asked.

If you want to go right back to the start, all the characters in my comic are old. I mean literally they've been living in my head longer than some members of RPR have been alive. Don't get me wrong, they've changed in incremental ways over the years as I’ve grown as a person, gotten better at writing, and my interests and beliefs have changed. Those incremental changes have built up over time until the characters are unidentifiable from their first incarnations. So much so, that when a friend recently reconnected with me after about several years, I noticed that there the characters were basically 'in name only' from the way she knew them.

But the biggest change was that they all began as fantasy characters, but my story takes place in a modern-fantasy universe. I’m pretty sure you can still smell the fantasy stank on it though. Actually, the friend I mentioned earlier was fairly dismissive of the modern versions of my characters so I bottled them up inside for about a year. But even though I wasn’t creating, they still occupied my headspace until they exploded out of me. But the story wasn’t complete – it was a beginning and a few interesting key moments. However in early 2021 we had a big move at work, which had me literally working alone moving equipment for 7 hours a day, in a dark windowless room and in all that exhausted solitude, hyper fixating for hours on end on my characters, my story grew an ending. And finally, after years of being fragments of lore and disjointed stories, it grew some threads tying it all together. (Some of those threads to this day are still tangled messes, but those are problems we’ll solve when we get to them).

I’m old on the internet, and I grew up with Webcomics, and I always wanted to make one (and be rich and famous). But even back then I was very self-conscious about my art and I knew that if I actually were to make one I’d hype it up, draw fewer than 5 pages, burn myself out with perfectionism, and then become known for “remember that time Claine tried to write a comic. All that hype, and that lasted two weeks!” So when I started my comic, I didn’t tell anyone of its existence until I’d finished the prologue – so I could burn out and fail without the social shame. But I managed to get through it, and it became easier and easier with time. And even though I’m still not super confident with my art, I’m at least mentally at a place that I’m able to enjoy the process and work at a steady pace and understand that each page isn’t going to be 110% world winning best comic page ever. It’s a self-indulgent little story. Maybe it’s wordy, and convoluted. Maybe the art isn’t always clear and refined. It’s not going to follow a Hollywood structure. Maybe this will make it ‘worse’ but I’m the one putting 1000s of hours into production, so no, I don’t take critique.
BlackBlood Topic Starter

Luscinioide wrote:
oh boy oh boy you've opened a dangerous can of worms, i am now going to rant to you for approximately four thousand words (4000) about my year-long hyperfixation.

<clears throat>

okay so. the project genesis pipeline. also known as the explanation for "ew luscin why are all your characters japanese are you a weeb"

about a year ago, on one fateful january evening, i made a questionable decision to auto-buy a character for copious amounts of money. luscin, you ask, how is this even remotely relevant to the story? bear with me, alright. anyways. that character started this whole damn thing. they will be referred to as four because four was their original name.

four, i decided, would be my debut into the cyberpunk genre. i'd always liked sci-fi, but space opera was too much for me to dip my toes into, and i found that it focused too much on 'space' and not enough on 'science.' cyberpunk was a good in between for me, and it has a strong focus on medical science, which i quite enjoy. and so, i came up with four's first "version". some of you guys might remember them lol. ....they are now a she that goes by kinoshita

BUT i couldn't just have one character. no. four needed a background, and to have a background, i needed more characters. thus came kizumashi, majima, and later on, mitsuki and vexel. but i couldn't just have characters, now could i? i needed a setting to flesh out the background in. and i needed to flesh out the backgrounds of the characters involved in four's background. and if i was going to make a setting, i might as well go full world building so i could have a continuous story between all of the characters with interconnections from four's background.

you can see where this is going, can't you?

fast forward to nanowrimo of last year, and i have literally like. a 20+ character cast, enough material to write 3 books (which have all been outlined, dear god), an entire world built from scratch that's hideously in-depth, and i've spent god knows HOW much time and money developing this stupid little thing. i'm practically a ####ing expert on prosthetics and cyberpunk-related medical science from the sheer amount of hours i've poured into pulling up medical scholarly articles to make sure i get things right. i don't even want to talk about how much research i've done for japanese culture. cyberpunk is all anybody associates me with. people look at me and assume i've been doing this my whole life but no, i just had the most beastly hyperfixation to ever exist

the project genesis book series will probably never be finished before i die, but whatever. it's the thought that counts. and by that i mean the tens of thousands of words worth of lore documents i have (i actually coded some of them pretty nicely, but i won't link them here because i don't know if anyone's interested). and the 50+ pieces of art i've done for the cast

yes my adhd is hideously unmedicated

thanks for coming to my ted-talk

I adore this. I love that I opened that dangerous can of yours 😂❤️
BlackBlood Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
xTi4zr7.png

I tend to try and not talk people's ears off, but you literally asked.

If you want to go right back to the start, all the characters in my comic are old. I mean literally they've been living in my head longer than some members of RPR have been alive. Don't get me wrong, they've changed in incremental ways over the years as I’ve grown as a person, gotten better at writing, and my interests and beliefs have changed. Those incremental changes have built up over time until the characters are unidentifiable from their first incarnations. So much so, that when a friend recently reconnected with me after about several years, I noticed that there the characters were basically 'in name only' from the way she knew them.

But the biggest change was that they all began as fantasy characters, but my story takes place in a modern-fantasy universe. I’m pretty sure you can still smell the fantasy stank on it though. Actually, the friend I mentioned earlier was fairly dismissive of the modern versions of my characters so I bottled them up inside for about a year. But even though I wasn’t creating, they still occupied my headspace until they exploded out of me. But the story wasn’t complete – it was a beginning and a few interesting key moments. However in early 2021 we had a big move at work, which had me literally working alone moving equipment for 7 hours a day, in a dark windowless room and in all that exhausted solitude, hyper fixating for hours on end on my characters, my story grew an ending. And finally, after years of being fragments of lore and disjointed stories, it grew some threads tying it all together. (Some of those threads to this day are still tangled messes, but those are problems we’ll solve when we get to them).

I’m old on the internet, and I grew up with Webcomics, and I always wanted to make one (and be rich and famous). But even back then I was very self-conscious about my art and I knew that if I actually were to make one I’d hype it up, draw fewer than 5 pages, burn myself out with perfectionism, and then become known for “remember that time Claine tried to write a comic. All that hype, and that lasted two weeks!” So when I started my comic, I didn’t tell anyone of its existence until I’d finished the prologue – so I could burn out and fail without the social shame. But I managed to get through it, and it became easier and easier with time. And even though I’m still not super confident with my art, I’m at least mentally at a place that I’m able to enjoy the process and work at a steady pace and understand that each page isn’t going to be 110% world winning best comic page ever. It’s a self-indulgent little story. Maybe it’s wordy, and convoluted. Maybe the art isn’t always clear and refined. It’s not going to follow a Hollywood structure. Maybe this will make it ‘worse’ but I’m the one putting 1000s of hours into production, so no, I don’t take critique.

Thank you for sharing that, I really appreciate it. I bet it’s beautiful. Just know that I believe in you and proud of you. (Even though I don’t know you) I feel like you have a little piece of your heart into this along with the other person who posted as well. Thank you, much love to you ❤️
Personally, there's two main things that I am likely the most passionate about.

The first thing is history, I'm a big fan of history and currently working on getting my own suit of armor so I can get into full contact medieval combat sports. I grew up in a family that did SCA so I've pretty much always been surrounded by a lot of historically inspired material and people who also loved history and combat.

The second thing is writing, specifically when it comes to dark fantasy and horror. I really like writing cosmic horror and eldritch horror with strong themes of violence, gore, body horror, and all other sorts of violence and putrescent things with stories of people wearing their own flayed skin while pulling out another's teeth to fill their mouths with ticks and leeches.

Definitely not for everyone though.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Tell Me Something You're Passionate About :)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus