Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "See more" instead of "clipped for chat".

I understand the ((clipped for chat)) function is to prevent long messages/posts from being inconvenient for people reading the chat. However, I'm finding not being able to read the entire message in chat inconvenient to me trying to reply to a message in chat. I use the chat function to type and send my RP replies 100% of the time and need to be able to read the entire message, scrolling down and back up as needed while I write. As the clipped for chat function cuts off about halfway or so through some of the posts I receive, I'm unable to read the entire message as I work on my own reply.

I would really love to see a "see more" option rather than "clipped for chat" which doesn't allow the reader to chose to see the message in it's entirety in chat. The way "see more" would work is that you'd click it and the full message text would show instead of being cut off. You'd then be able to click again to hide that portion of the message if desired. A sort of automatic collapse tag for long messages in chat.
Kim Site Admin

Unfortunately, this has no relation to convenience. Real-time chat messages are capped in length because the thingy that handles sending those real time messages direct to you can only handle so many characters being pushed through the open channel without the messages starting to fail. The Server can hold much longer messages, but it doesn't push them to the real-time funnel to keep from breaking things.

I suppose we could have a function that, when something was clipped for chat, you could have the message totally reloaded by contacting the server for the rest. It would obvs require some user interaction and take a moment, rather than just instantly opening the rest of the message, but perhaps that's okay.

I thought your chat window wasn't working at all, though?
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Unfortunately, this has no relation to convenience. Real-time chat messages are capped in length because the thingy that handles sending those real time messages direct to you can only handle so many characters being pushed through the open channel without the messages starting to fail. The Server can hold much longer messages, but it doesn't push them to the real-time funnel to keep from breaking things.

I suppose we could have a function that, when something was clipped for chat, you could have the message totally reloaded by contacting the server for the rest. It would obvs require some user interaction and take a moment, rather than just instantly opening the rest of the message, but perhaps that's okay.

I thought your chat window wasn't working at all, though?

That makes sense. I would definitely be fine with having to interact a bit more. I'm glad I know it's about handling character amount and not convenience though. I just assumed!

And I still am not seeing chat messages in real time, but my own messages still send in real time and I can reload to see any new messages, so that's how I've been operating. :) I prefer the ability to see the received message while typing that you get in the chat form, so that's why I'm using it anyway.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "See more" instead of "clipped for chat".

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus