Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Horror game recommendations

Foxfarer

Does anyone here know about some horror games that don't give enough recognition? I am an absolute sucker for horror and looking for anything I can get. XD

Here's a few recommendations I have for others if you're curious!:

-It's Not Me It's My Basement
-Shut-in
-Who's Lila
-Rattenkonig
-Endacopia
-Slay The Princess
Foxfarer Topic Starter

Foxfarer wrote:
Does anyone here know about some horror games that don't get enough recognition? I am an absolute sucker for horror and looking for anything I can get. XD

Here's a few recommendations I have for others if you're curious!:

-It's Not Me It's My Basement
-Shut-in
-Who's Lila
-Rattenkonig
-Endacopia
-Slay The Princess

Small typo and did not mean to reply to my own comment, whoops
I don't know if youve heard of it, but the game Alisa is a fantastic survival horror game done in a PS1 style.

It's fantastic and can be found on steam.

Them and us is also underrated.

cooking companions definitely needs more recognition.
I'd like to step in and vouch for Alien: Isolation. Not necessarily underrated, but it is one of the most atmospheric and tense survival horror games I've ever played- and if you haven't played it yet, you should!

Sound design and environments are top notch (even almost 10 years later, it's still beautiful- the attention to detail is nuts!), and the alien is the perfect killer with fantastic AI to boot; You cannot outrun it, you cannot kill it, and it will learn from your mistakes. You are completely powerless, and are forced to slowly navigate a claustrophobic space-station and are pretty much never given a chance to catch your breath.

This game is an absolute love letter to the Alien movies and I highly recommend it!
Spin to Win is a short, simple game. Definitely not for everyone, many horror fans will simply classify it as "boring". I personally love it, the concept is interesting and the game keep a little bit creepy, sad mood.
Murder House is a retro-styled horror, for fans of the creepy, low-poly models, like the older horror games.
Swallow the Sea is another short game, with more fun, "deep sea" trope, as well as charming graphics and a plot that is "for interpretation".
I also have some other recommendations, but I'm afraid that they are too "explicit" to post on a public forum.
It's always nice to see a fellow enjoyer of horror games! Have fun, all of these are kinda short. :D ALSO! I love "Who's Lila" as well, one of my all-time favorites, not only as a horror game, but generally favorite game!
What about Omori? I'm not sure if it counts as a game that needs more recognition; I don't see it talked about much, but I'm also not a horror person so that could be why. I've heard really good things about this game though, plus it has similar vibes to Undertale/Deltarune (moreso Deltarune in my opinion.)
Fair warning though, for those who don't know: it includes topics of mental illness, and the various trigger warnings that come with that. Putting that here in case that kind of thing is too far into psychological horror territory for some people; gotta look out for your own mental health, even when diving into horror <3
Foxfarer Topic Starter

SoupGremlin wrote:
What about Omori? I'm not sure if it counts as a game that needs more recognition; I don't see it talked about much, but I'm also not a horror person so that could be why. I've heard really good things about this game though, plus it has similar vibes to Undertale/Deltarune (moreso Deltarune in my opinion.)
Fair warning though, for those who don't know: it includes topics of mental illness, and the various trigger warnings that come with that. Putting that here in case that kind of thing is too far into psychological horror territory for some people; gotta look out for your own mental health, even when diving into horror <3

I have heard of Omori and I’m waiting till I’m actually able to play it xD which sadly will be a couple of years but that’s okay. It sounds like a awesome game though!
Foxfarer Topic Starter

DumboOctopus wrote:
Spin to Win is a short, simple game. Definitely not for everyone, many horror fans will simply classify it as "boring". I personally love it, the concept is interesting and the game keep a little bit creepy, sad mood.
Murder House is a retro-styled horror, for fans of the creepy, low-poly models, like the older horror games.
Swallow the Sea is another short game, with more fun, "deep sea" trope, as well as charming graphics and a plot that is "for interpretation".
I also have some other recommendations, but I'm afraid that they are too "explicit" to post on a public forum.
It's always nice to see a fellow enjoyer of horror games! Have fun, all of these are kinda short. :D ALSO! I love "Who's Lila" as well, one of my all-time favorites, not only as a horror game, but generally favorite game!

Oh my gosh Spin To Win and Murder House are one of my favorites as well! Both are quite good :D I have not heard of Swallow the Sea yet, but I’ll check it out for sure!
Foxfarer Topic Starter

GingerHades wrote:
I'd like to step in and vouch for Alien: Isolation. Not necessarily underrated, but it is one of the most atmospheric and tense survival horror games I've ever played- and if you haven't played it yet, you should!

Sound design and environments are top notch (even almost 10 years later, it's still beautiful- the attention to detail is nuts!), and the alien is the perfect killer with fantastic AI to boot; You cannot outrun it, you cannot kill it, and it will learn from your mistakes. You are completely powerless, and are forced to slowly navigate a claustrophobic space-station and are pretty much never given a chance to catch your breath.

This game is an absolute love letter to the Alien movies and I highly recommend it!

That does sound incredibly interesting. I’ll check it out when I can :D
Foxfarer wrote:
DumboOctopus wrote:

Oh my gosh Spin To Win and Murder House are one of my favorites as well! Both are quite good :D I have not heard of Swallow the Sea yet, but I’ll check it out for sure!

Hmmm... I have a question. Do you know the YouTuber, ManlyBadassHero? He is a chill dude known for his deep voice, recording let's plays, mostly horrors. Whenever I'm looking for a cool horror game, I look at his channel, he has tons of horror let's plays. Some of the games he records are "mid", usually from beginner authors. He also sometimes gives some feedback for the dev at the end of the video, and his comments are pretty good for writers as well, some of his comments helped me improve not only my horror stories & RP, but also generally my writing. :)

And, um... I'm not goona look down on you because you are a minor. But I hope you don't "dive in" into some totally messed up horrors? I was a fan of horror games as a minor as well, so yea, I know how it is. But there are just some stuff in some horrors that are immoral, and it's not just to "scare" people, but sometimes you can see it's a dark reflection of the author. This can leave a strong "mark" on an adult, not talking about younger ones, bc this is often "blurring" fiction with reality. So yeah, I know that some minors can enjoy horrors in a healthy way, I'm just making sure because I know kids who saw "too much", and I'm a lil' paranoid and worried about such stuff. I apologize for that if I came of as annoying ^^;

(EDIT) Also, hi, fellow INFP 8D
Foxfarer Topic Starter

DumboOctopus wrote:
Foxfarer wrote:
DumboOctopus wrote:

Hmmm... I have a question. Do you know the YouTuber, ManlyBadassHero? He is a chill dude known for his deep voice, recording let's plays, mostly horrors. Whenever I'm looking for a cool horror game, I look at his channel, he has tons of horror let's plays. Some of the games he records are "mid", usually from beginner authors. He also sometimes gives some feedback for the dev at the end of the video, and his comments are pretty good for writers as well, some of his comments helped me improve not only my horror stories & RP, but also generally my writing. :)

And, um... I'm not goona look down on you because you are a minor. But I hope you don't "dive in" into some totally messed up horrors? I was a fan of horror games as a minor as well, so yea, I know how it is. But there are just some stuff in some horrors that are immoral, and it's not just to "scare" people, but sometimes you can see it's a dark reflection of the author. This can leave a strong "mark" on an adult, not talking about younger ones, bc this is often "blurring" fiction with reality. So yeah, I know that some minors can enjoy horrors in a healthy way, I'm just making sure because I know kids who saw "too much", and I'm a lil' paranoid and worried about such stuff. I apologize for that if I came of as annoying ^^;

(EDIT) Also, hi, fellow INFP 8D

ManlyBadassHero is actually my favorite guy to watch besides from GrayStillPlays :D Nice to meet a fellow watcher of him! I plan on being a horror video game developer myself so his tips are extremely helpful. He's much more enjoyable to watch for horror from some other ones due to his rather chill nature and he's introduced me to pretty much my love of horror apart from my mom.

That question is very reasonable and I can completely understand where you are coming from. Yes I do know that luckily! When I was younger I sadly got into a lot of stuff without being careful but now I do know what to not watch as a minor.

And also hello fellow INFP!!
Foxfarer wrote:
ManlyBadassHero is actually my favorite guy to watch besides from GrayStillPlays :D Nice to meet a fellow watcher of him! I plan on being a horror video game developer myself so his tips are extremely helpful. He's much more enjoyable to watch for horror from some other ones due to his rather chill nature and he's introduced me to pretty much my love of horror apart from my mom.

That question is very reasonable and I can completely understand where you are coming from. Yes I do know that luckily! When I was younger I sadly got into a lot of stuff without being careful but now I do know what to not watch as a minor.

And also hello fellow INFP!!

Yes, I was thinking about MBH, because the games you said you know are actually on his channel. :)

I actually got introduced to horror games by my aunt as a minor. I have to admit, she didn't do it properly, I had nightmares after that, but no PTSD stuff happened, and she didn't mean anything bad. Also, now it's a huge interest of mine, as well as I am showcasing it in art and writing in many creative ways, it's not even always scary, such as mixing horror aesthetic designs with cute or silly personalities and backstories. :XD: It's sad that you got exposed to the bad side of horrors. But I'm glad that now you have a more healthy approach to that - it's an amazing thing, sadly minors these days often see too much and start doing bad stuff or go deeper into such topics and hurt themselves, because they are not taught when they need to stop. It's heartbreaking.

What do you personally like about horrors? If this will become too much of a "1x1 conversation", we can DM if you want. :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm not sure if it's an "unknown," but I gotta chime in with a game called Carrion! Forewarning, it is a very gory game. It's unique because YOU play the monster, and your goal is to escape the holding facility where you're being studied. It's visually handsome, done in a pixel art + particle physics style. The controls are fluid and visceral, and it's really satisfying to chow down on the unsuspecting humans trying to keep you locked up.
The fandom size for it ebbs and flows, but I think Sally Face is still pretty underrated. It's a point-and-click visual novel pretty much, but it's a psychological horror game with puzzles and a lot of backstory and elements. It has several chapters to it, too. It has some cartoonish gore and some themes that could be upsetting, but I haven't met anyone who has watched others play/has played and hasn't enjoyed it!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Horror game recommendations

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus