Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Reality In Fantasy

Well I meant just a plain ol' allergy (like peanuts), not necessarily the typical "unholy/demonic defense". But hey, this works out well too. And I'd presume folks would try to counter the weapon (maybe a large club wielder would go for a bash against it) because that's logic, I guess. Why destroy the weapon when you can presumably destroy the person wielding it, until they learn for the wiser that the weapon is what needs to go. That's all in the fun of it though-- letting your character's common sense snap in and figure out how to put down an interesting foe like yours.
Minerva

Yeah, that's just it. You can also just physically damage it and break the vessel that carries the magic; I mean, there's other catches on it. For example, it can naturally break into a pair of batons so if you break it in the middle, rather than the high-power, super-ornamented end, it'd more fray than do lasting damage, but those are all the things to figure out.

I've got other characters with bizarre weaknesses. One goes completely blind on moonless days/nights. Elsewise he only has one eye. In counter to that, he gains access to endless knowledge on those nights, but fat lot of good that does when you're hanging upside down in some remote part of space. Any avatars into the world are blind and generally a sitting target if he tries to interact/help with anything. So monthly, he turns into a babbling old philosopher who's stuck in the shadows.

Be it if I'm using actual mythos, or custom creating a character from scratch, I try to balance everything within reason. The stronger a character becomes in one way, the more drawbacks, weaknesses, or limitations are placed upon them. I'm known for rendering gods--as in, mythological entities across different cultures. But I don't do it so they can crap thunderbolts abroad. In fact, I find the gods I play are far more limited than some of the magic-slinging whatevers out there. They're more eternal ideas, watchers, overseers; well, relatively eternal; they can always be usurped or replaced. Fun fact, any of my spiritual characters can be overcome by traditional basic magic theory that anyone can do. If my Ash came in and annoyed you, all you'd have to do is draw a triangle around him or envision three points that make a balanced triangle around him and say 'Sit. Roll over. Pick your nose.' and he'd have to do it. A five year old girl could do it. Whatever.

...I'm downright mean to my characters sometimes, really.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Reality In Fantasy

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus