Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Poledance Instructor

Hi you beautiful people!

I teach poledance (along with aerial hoop, floor work, and heels choreography). It’s a fun sport and a wonderfully supportive environment, so I wanted to share my experiences with y’all :)

Please do ask away, and I’ll do my best to give y’all fast replies <3

Take care, and have a nice day!
1 // What's your favorite part of instructing?
2 // What was your earliest memory of instructing?
3 // Do you get paid for this, or do you do it for free?
4 // What made you want to teach these sports?
5 // How long have you been instructing for?
VivaLaVida Topic Starter

varian wrote:
1 // What's your favorite part of instructing?
2 // What was your earliest memory of instructing?
3 // Do you get paid for this, or do you do it for free?
4 // What made you want to teach these sports?
5 // How long have you been instructing for?

1. I LOVE celebrating my student’s victories, whether that is them nailing a trick first time, or them finally getting a trick, they’ve worked on for months!

2. I taught an aerial hoop class (my first class ever) on the first week of my gap year after high school. It was so comforting to know that I had a job, and that it was a thing, I enjoyed doing.

3. I luckily do get paid, but not enough to make it a living. Which is nice, because I fear making a living of it could risk killing the passion

4. I watched a Cirque du Soleil video on YouTube, and wanted to try Aerial Arts. I found a studio in my town (the one, I currently work at), and started there. A year after, I was brave enough to try pole. And when my teacher went on maternity leave, I decided to challenge myself, and apply for the job. I wanted to share the fun and confidence that pole gave me with others.

5. Since October 2019, so about 4 years now
Cass Moderator

What do you recommend for people who are a bit self-conscious and not willing to take that full leap quiet yet - but are really interested in learning? :) Any advice?
VivaLaVida Topic Starter

Cass wrote:
What do you recommend for people who are a bit self-conscious and not willing to take that full leap quiet yet - but are really interested in learning? :) Any advice?

My advice would be to visit the studio, and get a feel for the vibe. That’s what I did, at least. The atmosphere was so warm and welcoming that there wasn’t room for me to be self-conscious.

And if/when you finally take the leap, please don’t hesitate to confide in your instructor. We are not just here to teach you tricks, but to make you feel as comfortable about your experience as possible!

You are capable of doing - and learning to do - AWESOME things! And that is even if your mind isn’t allowing you to see that <3
Kim Site Admin

You say that this isn't your living -- can I ask what that is? :)
VivaLaVida Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
You say that this isn't your living -- can I ask what that is? :)

Of course!
I am halfway through med-school, in a country that luckily pays student’s while under education. I also work at the local hospital in the Emergency Department (trauma rooms, emergency rooms)
Kim Site Admin

Oh that's amazing!

Do you have a favorite move?
VivaLaVida Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Oh that's amazing!

Do you have a favorite move?

I really like the wow-factor of drops, even though I have to mentally prepare myself for the sound that my skin makes when grabbing the pole…

But I think Rainbow Marchenko is my fave move!
Kim Site Admin

I just had to look that up and WOW!

Do you stretch every day to keep your pole dancing safe?
VivaLaVida Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I just had to look that up and WOW!

Do you stretch every day to keep your pole dancing safe?

My Rainbow Marchenko is nowhere near perfect XD

I try to, yes. However, I prefer stretching every other day to line it up with my training, and so that I can recover on off-days

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Poledance Instructor

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus