Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Syringomyelia & Fibromyalgia sufferer

FelineGod1

I decided to make this post because I thought it might help spread awareness about people who suffer with any form of chronic pain. Plus people who have disabilities that are not visible because I had a tough time having to prove that was actually in pain and not just making it up. Here are links to websites that go into detail my medical conditions:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/syringomyelia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354771
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibromyalgia/symptoms/

I also suffer from vitiligo and chronic fatigue, but these do not effect my day-to-day as the above conditions do.

Lastly I have managed to beat crippling anxiety.

I'll answer any questions in the best way I can^^
Kim Site Admin

You say that chronic fatique doesn't affect your day to day. How does it affect you? Is there enough overlap with the other issues that it's hard to tell what's what?
I also have fibromyalgia! It’s a hellish thing to have, especially the chronic fatigue with it. <3 hmm my question is—

Do you have a hard time doing tasks that involve moving of any kind? Such as walking, working out, picking up items, bending over, etc. I’m asking since I know fibromyalgia pain is on a scaling level, sometimes it’s not always constant. Is your pain constant or spotty?
Beat crippling anxiety? How'd you manage that?o:
I'd love to know! xD
FelineGod1 Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
You say that chronic fatique doesn't affect your day to day. How does it affect you? Is there enough overlap with the other issues that it's hard to tell what's what?

I just need more sleep than the average person. Caffeine helps too. However I do get tired quickly and sometimes I don't feel rested after sleeping.

Fibromyalgia makes syringomyelia harder to manage because it enhances the pain to the point it can cause crippling agony.
FelineGod1 Topic Starter

Kloomsy wrote:
I also have fibromyalgia! It’s a hellish thing to have, especially the chronic fatigue with it. <3 hmm my question is—

Do you have a hard time doing tasks that involve moving of any kind? Such as walking, working out, picking up items, bending over, etc. I’m asking since I know fibromyalgia pain is on a scaling level, sometimes it’s not always constant. Is your pain constant or spotty?

Yeah, I get good and bad days. Sometimes stretching or moving can make it worse or sometimes it can actually make it better. I struggle to type for long periods of time because pain builds up in my arms and shoulders which for a creative writer is very frustrating sometimes >.<
FelineGod1 Topic Starter

Mirabell wrote:
Beat crippling anxiety? How'd you manage that?o:
I'd love to know! xD

Cognitive behavior therapy, medication and forcing myself outside of my comfort zone. I can't stress the last one enough. It took a couple of years, but I practically became a different person(for the better), well that's what people say.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Syringomyelia & Fibromyalgia sufferer

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus