Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Seeking the Truth IC

Viktoriya (played by Freyya)

At first the demon was unaware of the new power growing inside Jerian. Whatever it was, he kept slamming into Jerian's defenses. A sickening laugh boiled up from within Viktoriya, a laugh that was not her own.

She was quickly losing control, and although she didn't want anything to do with the society, she dearly hoped that Jerian would be able to push him back. if he did, she could regain control over him and maybe get away. "If only these damn winds could lie down..." she grunted. It was all she could do to keep the demon in check, but she couldn't push him back without Jerian's effort.
Cell Theta (played by Terel) Topic Starter

The light and heat grew exponentially, until Jerian's whole world was fire. He was beyond pain, beyond fear, beyond even thought. He was mumbling deliriously but if anyone were there to hear him, it would not have been in any recognisable mortal tongue.

But even as Jerian burned the powers within pushed against the demon. The light and heat seemed to reinforce the mental barriers keeping the creature out and then began stabbing at the thing itself, it was as if the light sensed the presence of the demon and found it repugnant, and sort to destroy it.

Not that the power would be able to destroy a demon lord, but it was fighting him.

The language that Jerian was mumbling appeared to be some variant of High Angelic, and he was calling out "Elohim! Elohim! Praise and glory to the One Above All! The seven stand before the Throne! Hail the Chayot Ha Kodesh!"

The demon lord recoiled, surprised. "How..." he roared. He had sensed angelic presence, and while it was still weak, it would get stronger. He'd have to pull back from his attacks or his host, and therefore him, would be in danger. he retreated to her body with a growl.

Viktoriya, feeling him return, immediately applied pressure to suppress him again. she somewhat managed to do it, and decided she was gonna try moving. She bent down and on hands and knees she made her way across the wall of the hallway. Whatever Jerian had done, she was back in control, and now her priority was to find another way out.

Jerian was sobbing in pain, curled up into a ball by now as fire burned him away. It was the worst pain he had ever endured and he could feel his mind breaking. But then as suddenly as the fires had come they were gone and a blessed coolness washed away the pain, leaving him numb.

Jerian lay there, curled up, shaking, sobbing for... he didn't know how long. His thoughts were shattered into myriad shards that slipped away as he tried to grasp them, his perception of time was completely gone.

"M-Mainframe," he croaked out, "P-priority one... message... Grandmaster..."

"Authorisation needed," The computer responded.

Jerian dragged himself up into a sitting position, it was getting easier to think, the shards of thought were easier to grasp and pull together, "Authorisation Jerian-Alpha-One," he said, "Message begins..." he trailed off for a moment and he felt all of the emotions he'd been desperately trying to suppress, lest his mind collapse once again into confusion, but he couldn't hold it back any more.

For the first time in a long time, Jerian felt completely helpless and scared. Even the fact that there was some kind of demon roaming around the Safehouse had momentarily been forgotten thanks to the effects of the pendant. For the second time in as many minutes Elite Knight Paladin Jerian burst into tears, hugging himself, "F-father... help me..." he managed to say, "M-message...ends..."

"Message dispatched," the computer replied.

Jerian's eyes fell on the silver pendant in his hand. He hadn't let it go since this all started. He stared at it, tears falling from is face as it glittered with promise. Promise of his past, and perhaps even his future, "W-who am I?" He whispered, "What am I?"

Eventually there were no more tears, and Jerian felt drained and numb. Even the fear, the confusion, the anger and the pain was gone. He was just... empty. Empty and more alone now than he had ever been in his life.

Jerian knew what this pendant represented, despite everything he could remember one thing from his experience with the pendant clearly. He remember the stirring, the singing, and what it meant. Everything he thought about himself was wrong.

Jerian was not human.

The winds died down and it was quiet once more in the safehouse. Viktoriya stood up, but somehow felt like there was no more need to rush things. She stood dead still in the hallway and listened, but she couldn't hear anything. Giving the demon a mental shove to keep still, she slowly backtracked to where Jerian was.

She peeked around corner into another hall. Nothing. A few doors were open, probably busted in by that wind, by the looks of it. She carefully walked down it and looked into every door. By this point her curiosity had won it over her carefulness, and she openly walked through the corridor. Looking sideways into a room, she froze. Jerian was sitting there, slumped onto the ground, seemingly without a speck of energy left within him, sobbing.

Never in her life had Viktoriya been more conflicted. She had seen a couple people from the society, but never on the ground like this. She just stood frozen in the doorway and stared at him, contemplating on what she should do.

Even the tears dried up eventually, leaving him completely silent and empty. Jerian was broken, the pendant had shattered all of his internal defences and laid bare all of his fears, insecurities and loneliness. Everything he had buried under training, humour and a 'devil may care' attitude.

In truth Jerian had always been broken on the inside, but he had hidden all of that from everyone, even himself. But now there was no hiding from it, no more denying it. Jerian had always been different and now he knew for certain what he'd always felt in his heart. That he wasn't even fully human and that he was, and always would be, alone.

Such was his self-absorbed despair that he didn't even see Viktoriya in the doorway. Even if he had, in this shattered state, he probably wouldn't be able to dredge up enough emotion or energy to care. But then, something happened to change all that.

"Incoming priority one message, Central Command," the computer said, "Message begins."

"Jerian? Jerian! What's wrong? That call came from Safehouse Tau-Omicron-19, what are you doing there? Are you alright? Jerian? Answer me damn it!" The voice was Irish, and sounded like it belonged to a man used to having to shout orders, a man well into his fifties.

Jerian looked up, and it suddenly seemed as if that voice had given him a burst of energy because he stood up, hand against a wall to steady himself, "Grandmaster... I... found... a necklace just like the one you gave me... do you remember it? The one with our sign. The... the one that... that protected me against... against the things I saw," Jerian's voice was toneless, tired, "It hurt... it hurt me."

There was a pregnant pause before James O'Hara spoke again, he sounded worn, "I expected that this day would come," he said tiredly, "But I hoped that it would not... the necklace I gave you, the one I said I found when you were left here... it was a copy. I was ordered to take the original and study it. I... I had always intended to give it to you, but I... I was afraid of what it meant."

"All these years... you... you had a piece of the truth... a piece of my past... a piece of my parents, and you kept it from me?" Jerian asked, a hint of anger seeping into his voice.

"It wasn't just The Society. Your... your father told me-"

"My FATHER!?" Jerian suddenly snarled, his eyes flashing, the air stirring in response, "What else have you lied to me about Grandmaster? You told me I was left at the doorstep of this church! You told me that you didn't know who they were!"

"I still don't, Jerian," the Grandmaster of The Society replied wearily, "He gave you to me, into the care of The Society, but I don't know who he is... or what he is. I could tell that he was powerful, that he wasn't... that he wasn't human, but what he was, what kind of creature he was... I never knew."

"Am I even human? Is there even some part of me that is human!?" Jerian asked harshly, "Or am I... am I a monster? Am I one of those things from beyond The Veil? Am I a threat?"

"You are... you are my son," James O'Hara said softly, "Whatever else you may be... you are the son I never had, and you are human. I know that at least half of your DNA is human."

And just like that, Jerian's anger was gone. It was replaced by... too many other emotions to make sense of. The Grandmaster had raised him, Jerian had always looked up to him as a father figure, the only father he had ever had. But neither of them had ever acknowledged that fact, not explicitly.

"You have a family, here. You have The Society... you have Cell Theta," The Grandmaster continued, "I kept the necklace because I... I didn't want you to be hurt. It was a mistake, but it was the mistake of a foolish old man who didn't want to lose a son."

"I... I don't.. I can't..." Jerian was shaking by now, "Father O'Hara... G-Grandmaster... what do I... how do I?"

Despite the fact that Jerian couldn't even finish his sentence the Grandmaster seemed to understand, "Let me make up for my mistake. Come back home Jerian, return to Cell Theta, take the necklace, and I will assign the full resources of Cell Theta to helping you find the truth. I will even instruct European Command to divert some extra resources your way... and I will release to you certain files that might help."

"Do you really have no idea? About... who I am?" Jerian asked finally.

"You are Jerian, Elite Knight Paladin of The Society, our best agent. You are a brave, intelligent and caring young man... you are my son, and I am proud of you. That is who you are, Jerian. Never forget that," James O'Hara said.

"I... thank you... f-father," Jerian said, a different stress on the word father than before, it wasn't a title any more it was... it was an acknowledgement a long time coming.

"Cell Theta are on their way to pick you up..." The grandmaster sounded distracted for a moment then there was a surprised intake of breath, "There's a demonic intruder in the Safehouse?"

Jerian blinked, "Oh... I forgot about that... uh... yeah, a girl with some kind of demonic taint. I can't get a clear reading... I appear to have lost her."

"Stay right where you are Jerian, don't go looking for it. Cell Theta is enroute to reinforce you. Wait for back-up. That is an order. You are in no state to fight that thing," the Grandmaster ordered, "They'll be there in five minutes."

"Understood," Jerian said, taking his hand off of the wall, looking a little stronger than before, "I'll stay here."

"I'm keeping this line open Jerian, but I'll be talking to the Council... I need their permission to open up the archives to you. Don't do anything stupid," The grandmaster warned.

Jerian smiled faintly, "I won't."

Viktoriya knew what to do. She stepped through the door into the room where Jerian was standing, after he finished his conversation. With all her might, she took control of the demon's powers - and succeeded partly. She stood in front of him, a couple meters away but close enough for him to see her face under the hood and beneath her loose strands of black hair. A thin black smoke enveloped her lower right arm as she stood in front of him.

"Elite Knight Paladin Jerian of the Society." she spoke. Her tone was firm, but her facial expression wasn't. She was treading on dangerous ground, and going against all of her moral ideas. She looked at him long and bore her eyes into his, trying to stand her ground. Her ability to control the demon lord only went so far, and she was constantly fighting him from taking posession of her mind and body.
"You are now my hostage." she continued. Tears started running down her face. Never before had she threatened someone, and doing it now to someone who just went through an emotional breakdown made her feel terrible.

"Sorry... I have no choice......" she said. "Tell your friends from the society to stay away, for now."

Jerian simply stared at her for a long moment, despite his earlier strength he seemed to just crumble again and his voice was just tired, there was no fear in it at all, "This is the last time I have a breakdown with a demon on the loose," his attempt at his usual dry humour was pretty weak. He considered going for his gun, but by the look of the black smoke coming from her arm... no... she'd be able to attack him before he could raise the gun.

He shook his head and sighed, "Fine, hostage it is then. Could be worse. You could be Abbaddon. The guy can hold a grudge," he raised his voice, "Mainframe, priority one message to Safehouse Theta 0-0-1, code-name The Hub. Acknowledge."

"Connection established, Paladin," the computer responded.

"Dawn, you hear me?" Jerian asked wearily.

"J-jerian!? Oh thank The Nine you're okay, when I got that alert I thought-" the Irish girl's lilting voice cut short, and her tone turned from relief to shock and then to worry, "Jerian? What... what's going on? What's wrong?"

"same-old, same-old, suffered an emotional breakdown, found out I'm only half human, became the hostage of a demon-girl. The usual. How's it going with you, Ops?" He replied, trying to inject a little humour into his voice. If he didn't at least attempt to brush this whole thing aside then Dawn would probably freak out, because then it would be a very, very serious situation. Jerian didn't want to admit that things were that bad yet.

"D-don't...don't joke with me Paladin," Dawn said, "What's going on?"

"Like I said Ops, I'm the prisoner of a demon-girl. She doesn't want you guys coming here... she might kill me if you do," he paused, "Do me a favour, when you ignore her and come charging in here... if... I go strange just shoot me between the eyes, alright?"

"Strange? Sh-shoot you?" A hint of fear leaked into her voice, "Jerian, I'm not going to-"

"Bye Dawn... for the record... you're the best commander I've ever served under. It was an honour. Mainframe, end transmission."

"Jerian? Jerian! Don't you hang up on-" Dawn shouted frantically before the line went dead.

Jerian sighed and closed his eyes a moment, "She'll come for me, you know. All of Cell Theta will. No matter what you threaten to do to me, what I tell them... they'll try to rescue me. now it's just a question of whether I'm dead or not by the end of today," he didn't sem to register any emotion at the odea that he might be killed.

Viktoriya shook her head. "N-no.. they can't come here. I'll kill you if they do!" she almost yelled the last sentence. For a second the black smoke worked its way up her arm, but she stopped it. The smoke disappeared as she suppressed the demon again. She leaned back into the wall.

She was desperate. She had made a daring move, hoping she could trade her freedom in return for the release of Jerian. Since he now told her she wouldn't be having her way, she was exposed. Even if she ran and hid now, they'd find her. Her hands went through her hair and she shook her head frantically, as if it would help her get to a solution to her problems faster.

She looked back at Jerian. Her hood had slid off of her head, and her devastated face looked weakly at the paladin. "I can't do this. I can't. I have to get out."

Jerian shook his head slowly, slumping to the ground again, resting his back against the wall, "Cell Theta are my team my... my family. I'm afraid that no matter what Grandmaster O'Hara orders them to do, they'll come here anyway and they'll do their damnedest to save me," he smiled a little at that, "It's nice to have a family for a change."

He went quiet a short time and said, "Fact is, there are only three outcomes to this. One, my team come bursting in here, guns blazing, and we both die. Two, the same as one but I get to live... or there's three. You surrender and you get taken alive. After that... well... you've got a demon in you, haven't you? I didn't see it much before... you've got a strong will, the thing's not in control. We could try exorcising it and free you from it. Once it's out of you, it'll get knocked back to the Lower Planes, or if he's a stubborn bugger he'll be forced out of your body here and we kick his ass back to the Lower Planes."

He smiled slightly, "Of course if we knew the thing's name we'd know what we were up against, how to fight it... you know its name, don't you?"

Viktoriya trembled. Of course she knew the name. He had said it plenty of times, whispering to her.
She nodded. "Yes... I know it." she pulled her knees up to her face and buried her face in them.
"Excorcising him..." she whispered to herself. Then heavily shook her head. "It can't be allowed, she told Jerian.
"He'll be set free and you will all die. There is no firepower that you have here that can kill the lord..."

Jerian frowned, "Lord? He's claiming to be a Demon Lord, is he? A dangerous game to play, if he's caught at that and he's lying then the true Demon Lords would tear him apart... but he can't be a Demon Lord. They can't enter the Middle Plane, The Veil prevents it."

He shook his head, "The only way a Demon Lord could possess you was if it had come to Earth before The Veil was created, but that's... that's not possible. It couldn't have stayed hidden for so long," he sighed and looked thoughtful, "Besides even if he is a Demon Lord... you don't know what we're capable of. We might be able to take him down here, but that's not to say we don't have that kind of firepower lying around."

Why won't he just accept that it's a lord? She sighed.

"This demon has been in my family for ages. He was sealed to An ancestor of mine, and every time the person posessed with him had a daughter, on the sixth day of the june, in her sixth year, the demon would be transferred to her new host, leaving the previous one dead."
She was surprised at how emotionless the words were spoken by her own lips, and she didn't look at Jerian the whole time.
"If you get him out of me, I will die. If you take him out, even if I survive, we will all be slaughtered."

Jerian listened quietly, considering her words in silence once she was finished. When he finally did speak, it was without emotion, "A blood-binding... I haven't met a living example of such a thing. I doubt anybody has in The Society. It's very rare that someone will bind a demon to a bloodline like that. It takes powerful magic to do such a thing, and it is a terrible sacrifice to make."

He shook his head, "If a Demon Lord truly is bound to you... then... I am sorry. That is a burden no mortal should bear," he sighed, "It won't last you know. One day your bloodline is going to die out and when that happens... he will be free. Even if you escape today, The Society will know about you, your family, the demon. We will prepare for the inevitable day that the creature is loosed upon the world and when it does... well the only thing I can say is that I swear that The Society will do everything in its power to destroy him. It might be centuries, millennia from now, but that demon within you... we will destroy it. It's our purpose, our duty."

Viktoriya sighed and whiped off some tears. At least he didn't just shoot her on the spot, cause he had all the chance he wanted to do such a thing. She slumped back and thought. "Even if I let you take me... the chances of this "exorcism being succesful are 1%. then from that, another 1% chance for me to survive, and then even less chance to kill the demon." she sighed. It's impossible...

Jerian shrugged, "We've got the best exorcists around... but you are right. If that really is a demon lord blood-bound to you then that's one hell of a tricky thing to undo without killing you, and demon lords... well they're pretty powerful, that's true. Especially the old ones and if that thing was bound to your ancestors before the Veil went up then... that's one old demon,"

He looked down at the pendant in his hand, it had gone cool and it glittered in the light but it seemed as if it was a mundane piece of jewellery now. He didn't dare touch it with his magic or his psychic sense to see if it still held any power, he didn't want to risk... whatever the hell it had done to him before. He sighed and massaged the bridge of his nose, "It's just my luck that I finally find some clue to my parents and I get captured by a demon-possesed girl, and have my mind set on fire and my soul roasted for a few merry minutes. That was a big barrel of fun, hm too bad you and your demon didn't have a camera, I'm sure Abbaddon would have loved to see that."

He shook his head, "I suppose we just have to wait for my team to arrive. I'm not unsealing the safehouse, if nothing else it'd cost me my job and unless Mr Grumpy and Gruesome decides he'd liked to stretch his legs I doubt you'll try to kill me," Jerian went quiet again, looking thoughtful, "What if... hmm... what if we take you back with us, but don't exorcise you? We don't want to let you loose out there, the danger to the Normals is too great, but we're not about to try and let a demon lord free of its prison. We could... have a bit of a compromise. Say... set you up in a secure facility, we get to keep an eye on you and the demon, you're safe in the knowledge that even if it takes over you don't hurt anyone and you get a roof over your head and food," apparently Jerian was sufficiently recovered from his ordeal to notice her shabby appearance, "It doesn't have to be an uncomfortable place either, after all it's not your fault you're possessed."

He looked down at the pendant again and sighed, "I... wonder if I might be joining you in a facility like that though."

Viktoriya looked up curiously. "Why would you join me there? YOU have nothing demonic in you. At least not as far as I know." She was too scared to summon a portion of her demon to find out.

She thought for a long moment. It was impossible for her to get out, and that Cell Theta was on their way here. At least, if Jerian spoke the truth. And like he said, the only way for her to come out of this alive was to let them take her.

Or to let him overtake her.

It was a possibility. Not one she liked, cause that would sacrifice human lives... but maybe it would be for the best...? Her head started hurting as the beast whipsered to her. "Release me.. I can save you."

---edit---

trying to dust off my account after having to take time for IRL stuff :) hope you don't mind my unannounced absense ^^"

Jerian chuckled, "I might not have a demon inside me but... well... judging from what happened before with that bloody pendant, I doubt I'm entirely human," he looked pained by this, "I hate irony. The guy who kills monsters for a living turns out to be a monster himself. The universe really does have a twisted sense of humour."

H looked down at the pendant in his hands and sighed, "I can only hope that my... ancestry isn't anything too... dangerous. If touching this pendant has awakened something latent inside of me... well I would really hate to go insane and betray my friends and get shot."

(Not at all, I've been gone for over a month thanks to exams and university work, so I'm dusting my account off too!)

Vika summoned a half-smile, but it probably didn't seem sincere.
"I wonder how your friends would react if a demon lord-infested girl just surrendered to them." she said quietly. She absentmindedly rubbed her legs, as if to scratch away an itch that wasn't really there.
"I could... kill them..." she thought out loud "But I can't. I can't take human lives."

Jerian shrugged, "They'd be wary of course, suspicious. You'd be kept under surveillance 24/7, at least whilst we're transferring you to a more secure facility. Of course that kind of thing takes time, so I guess you'll be held in our Cell Headquarters for a few days, The Hub."

He didn't really react to her thinking aloud, "You could... but the fat that you don't want to take human lives is a good sign. At least that creature hasn't tainted you fully yet. You've got a strong will, to be able to resist a Demon Lord like that. If he's anything like Abaddon I know how tough that must be for you."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Seeking the Truth IC

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus