Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Ability to turn off emoticons to emojis

I just generally prefer the look of emoticons to emojis :3
I just feel the need to poke in to comment on how backwards those terms are. The word "icon" is literally part of "emoticon," and yet it's been decided that that's the text-character version, while "emoji" originally referred to using text characters from other languages too to create faces, but it's somehow been decided that's the image version. x.x

That aside, I'm not sure there's a way to prevent others from adding in emojis that aren't built into the site, if that's what you're hoping for. But I do know folks who just prefer their own to be text instead of an icon. I know that some things allow a backslash to "escape" having a character read as anything other than text, and I know I even used to have to use 2 to here to make this little guy: \o/
Jooters Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
That aside, I'm not sure there's a way to prevent others from adding in emojis that aren't built into the site, if that's what you're hoping for. But I do know folks who just prefer their own to be text instead of an icon. I know that some things allow a backslash to "escape" having a character read as anything other than text, and I know I even used to have to use 2 to here to make this little guy: \o/

sorry about the late reply, but that wasn't what I meant

I mean how if you type in a smiley, it will automatically convert to an emoji like how putting : and 3 next to each other would make :3 instead of what I want to be using
I second this- so badly want to emote a > : 3 every now and then but it auto just becomes this >:3 i like the smileys but emoticons work better for some things

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Ability to turn off emoticons to emojis

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus