Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » New here and kinda new to rp

Hi! Bird obsessed animation student here c:

As the title suggests I've just set up an account here!
I've already got a couple of characters up and there are some more in development.

I'm very inexperienced with rp sadly but I want to improve my storytelling and writing skills and I think this would be a really fun way to do it! I had a little bit of experience with larp years ago and I've been browsing the site for while so I guess I'm not completely clueless.

This seems like a really friendly place and I'm really exited to start some rp's with anyone who has the patience for a newbie like me c:
SeraphicStar

Hello and welcome :D I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all finding people to RP with that won't mind your relative inexperience. I'd suggest trying out our Find RP tool in order to look for a game or even start your own.

If you've been browsing the site for a while you probably already got the hang of how the place works, but if you have any doubts or questions, feel free to ask! We're a friendly bunch :D
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Thank you c:

Oh it looks pretty useful! I'll certainly be using it, thanks!
rat

[squeaking intensifies]

HELLO. i'm so proud of you. c'mere, i won't ruffle your feathers i promise. <3
Helloes and welcome to the RPR! You certainly have some interesting characters.
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Ratkin
HI! I'm here finally!

Xinonhyena
Oh thank you very much c:
Are you Chiropica on fa? Hi!
Welcome to RPR! I hope you're really enjoying it and finding lots of fun RPs! Don't worry about being new, everyone had to start somewhere! I'm sure if you do your best nobody else will mind either <3
Hullo!

Most RPs that I know of get set up through the Looking for RP forum. If you feel you need some help getting the hang of RP, there's some spiffy info here. You can also always just ask if you're not sure about something! ^_^
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Loki and Novalyyn
Thanks! And I'm certainly enjoying it so far c:
Kim Site Admin

Once upon a tiiiiiime I was also an animation student. Though my personal obsession was extinct animals. >.>

Anywhoozles, welcome to the site! So glad to have you here! :D
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Once upon a tiiiiiime I was also an animation student. Though my personal obsession was extinct animals. >.>

Anywhoozles, welcome to the site! So glad to have you here! :D

Ah cool! Hello! Where did you study if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I'm having a great time so far c:
Kim Site Admin

Tashcrow wrote:

SAIC! But I switched my major to Visual and Critical Studies when I found out it was the only major that wrote an ungrad thesis. I obsessively felt that I couldn't have a real college experience without writing a thesis.
Now only if I could animate, anything for that matter XD

Anyways, Welcome to the site! Hope I can show you a few pointers in RP or something around that, since RP is my entire life, almost :P
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Tashcrow wrote:

SAIC! But I switched my major to Visual and Critical Studies when I found out it was the only major that wrote an ungrad thesis. I obsessively felt that I couldn't have a real college experience without writing a thesis.

Oh that's a shame. We have to write one for our course though. I'm hoping to write mine about character design
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Tyler1227 wrote:
Now only if I could animate, anything for that matter XD

Anyways, Welcome to the site! Hope I can show you a few pointers in RP or something around that, since RP is my entire life, almost :P

Thanks! I'm currently looking for little practice rp's if you're interested c:
Kim Site Admin

Tashcrow wrote:
Oh that's a shame. We have to write one for our course though. I'm hoping to write mine about character design

That is completely awesome.

I wrote about the changing use of political rhetoric about/for the funding of NASA.
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Tashcrow wrote:

That is completely awesome.

I wrote about the changing use of political rhetoric about/for the funding of NASA.

Wow that sounds pretty interesting! We could use more funding in scientific research especially were NASA is concerned.
Kim Site Admin

I'm not sure if "especially" is the word, but the state NASA is in does seem to have a pronounced and unique effect on what classes and majors students select at every level of schooling -- other science programs, some arguably more "worthy," simply do not produce this kind of talent bubble. Interestingly, placing NASA achievements in the public eye is just as likely to inspire new, say, pharmaceutical researchers as it is to inspire new engineers. All the sciences seem to get a boost. And then we have enough domestic talent to fill out really robust research projects on anything from new materials that could change the course of history to curing cancer to putting people on Mars to solving the upcoming bandwidth crisis the internet is facing. The problem is that it takes 5 - 10 years for those inspired new souls to hit the job market, and probably another 5 - 10 minimum for all those newly minted researchers to DO their research/refine their inventions and get them to market/incorporate them into public life. So it's a long-term investment and we have become a nation extraordinarily bad at planning more than one year into the future.

Of course, that also means you need to be funding multiple avenues of research in addition to NASA, so all those new non-space scientists also have somewhere to go (private industry will partially make up for this, but they've stopped funding basic research because although that pays off it takes awhile to do so, and again, we don't plan for more than a year or so into the future). But in effect, it's a domestic nation-building program that changes our focus as a people, its real benefits having remarkably little to do with space and more to do with education and the rate of innovation OH GOD STOP ME I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP RANTING ABOUT THIS D:
Tashcrow Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I'm not sure if "especially" is the word, but the state NASA is in does seem to have a pronounced and unique effect on what classes and majors students select at every level of schooling -- other science programs, some arguably more "worthy," simply do not produce this kind of talent bubble. Interestingly, placing NASA achievements in the public eye is just as likely to inspire new, say, pharmaceutical researchers as it is to inspire new engineers. All the sciences seem to get a boost. And then we have enough domestic talent to fill out really robust research projects on anything from new materials that could change the course of history to curing cancer to putting people on Mars to solving the upcoming bandwidth crisis the internet is facing. The problem is that it takes 5 - 10 years for those inspired new souls to hit the job market, and probably another 5 - 10 minimum for all those newly minted researchers to DO their research/refine their inventions and get them to market/incorporate them into public life. So it's a long-term investment and we have become a nation extraordinarily bad at planning more than one year into the future.

Of course, that also means you need to be funding multiple avenues of research in addition to NASA, so all those new non-space scientists also have somewhere to go (private industry will partially make up for this, but they've stopped funding basic research because although that pays off it takes awhile to do so, and again, we don't plan for more than a year or so into the future). But in effect, it's a domestic nation-building program that changes our focus as a people, its real benefits having remarkably little to do with space and more to do with education and the rate of innovation OH GOD STOP ME I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP RANTING ABOUT THIS D:

Ah sorry I'm not very educated in these kinds of things. I'm also from the uk so we probably don't get as much news about NASA, so forgive me if I say something stupid. I do understand its more about education and innovation though.
Kim Site Admin

Tashcrow wrote:
Ah sorry I'm not very educated in these kinds of things. I'm also from the uk so we probably don't get as much news about NASA, so forgive me if I say something stupid. I do understand its more about education and innovation though.

No need for sorry! I am sorry, I shouldn't have indulged in a NASA related rant. It just feels so good to talk about. *guilty*

You are on: Forums » Introductions » New here and kinda new to rp

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus