Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Trying it out again

Hey, my name is Crystie. I used to be really into RP growing up, and I thought why not try and take it up again! I'm still pretty confused by the site and how to set up my character's profile, but I'm sure I'll get it! Any tips for starters? Where should I begin?
Kim Site Admin

Welcome to the site!!

I'm not sure what specifics you are finding confusing, but I'll be super happy to answer any questions you have. In the meanwhile, this resource is great for general orientation:

Getting Started Guide

If you're having trouble deciding what to put on your character profiles, you might try this article: Creating character profiles that attract RP

I would personally begin by taking a peek at the Looking for RP forum and see if there's anyone currently advertising for a partner there whose plot interests you -- and if not, feel free to suggest one yourself! :)
Welcome to RPR! Kim's given some really great suggestions for getting started but if you have any further questions after that please don't hesitate to ask. The community here is super friendly and we're all happy to help :)
Crystie78 Topic Starter

I guess I'm still just a little timid. Should I just make an assortment of characters that interest me and go to the "find RP" form? I would like to get into a place where a couple people are role playing rather than just a 1:1. I guess, what did you two first do when you started?

Thanks for all your help so far :) this place is pretty amazing!
Kim Site Admin

I'm not certain I'm the right person to ask about what I did when I first started, since most of what I did was build new feature in a frenzy, and there's so much more here than there was when we opened! However -- Yes, building characters that interest you and you want to play is a totally valid way to get started. You could also look for a RP that interests you and design a character to fit there. Either way is completely fine.

If you're looking for a larger RP, probably finding a group is the way to go. I apologize in advance that it's hard to find a group at the moment -- By Grabthor's hammer, I swear that a new group search feature will come out this weekend to make this process easier!!
Crystie78 Topic Starter

Hmm, I guess i'll just slowly try and get into this!!

What's up with the dice? What is it used for?

rolled 1d6 and got 4

Hello!

Dice are there for those who favor using some sort of dice system in their RP, whether detailed or rough, and for just generally adding chance to things.

Go ahead and just put up some characters you'd like to play. Or, you can try checking for interest first, giving an overview of them to see if there's any that are favored to be put up first. It's mostly just about what and how you want to play - there's a pretty good variety here.

For finding RPs, I personally favor the Looking for RP forum over the Find RP tool (yes, they are different). You can also just PM people directly if yo think they or their characters are cool. If you want a small group rather than 1x1, just say so. :)

It's good to have at least some sort of general plot in mind, too, even if you end up going with something completely different. It can help when others aren't sure what to do, and it shows that you can help contribute to an RP rather than leaving it all on someone else. ;)

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Trying it out again

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus