Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Group/character etiquette and other questions

So I was planning a Sci-Fi oriented RP over on two other forums that didn't go anywhere, figured I'd try my luck here. Now my question is would an RP with it's own character sheet specific to it be allowed? With the sRP tyle I'm used to role playing you post a character sheet in the Role play topic, rather than have pre-made character sheets. The Rp is based around that concept, having several planned player races and such that I don't want people taking up a character sheet for, so would this be okay? I mean I don't see a reason it would cause trouble but it never hurts to ask.
There aren't any rules against it to my knowledge, but I'm not sure doing it would actually be a help and a number of folks would probably use one of their sheets anyway. There are those that don't have much issue with it because they have sheets to spare or periodically delete characters anyway, and there are some who group multiple characters in a single sheet for one reason or another. I've got a multi-char profile myself, for characters that don't seem deserving of their own thing (some are temps, some just aren't very useful) and for characters created for specific RPs that I might have trouble translating into other games.
0V3RL0RD-P4RR0T Topic Starter

Alright, thanks.
Sanne Moderator

I'm curious, what do you mean with a character sheet? Are you talking about a full character profile or a DnD like sheet with stats for rolling dice?

In order to roleplay on the forums, you need to have an IC character profile to post. For example, in the Fantasy RP forum I can't post as Sanne - I have to post as a character of mine. If you're talking about profiles like this, then your idea doesn't work out since people wouldn't be able to post with you.

In groups you can post as yourself provided the forum you're posting is in OOC, not IC. Otherwise you have the same issue as with the public forums.

In PMs you can post as yourself and then play as whatever character you like, technically.

I mean something kind of like this.

Name: Don Sampson
Sex: Male
Appearance: http://toram159.deviantart.com/art/RP-c ... -472893971
Don is part Iguana. His skin is pale green and has brownish stripes on his torso and tail. His "underbelly" is very pale yellow. His vest is purple, his shirts is black, his hat is black with the weird ear/quill things being purple. His jeans are dark grey and his converse are black. The wrist band he has is brown. His eyes are green. His ears are pointed aswell. His feet are relatively long so he has a digit-grade stance.

Personality: He isn't afraid to show his otherkind features and tends to boast about his tail being articulate enough to be used as a third arm. He is very bold, but is quick to back down from fights. He enjoys video games, and likes to claim he is part dinosaur even though he isn't. He loves dogs, Great Danes in particular. He is very interested in learning about history, archaeology, and paleontology.
Bio: He was designed on his parent's request. His father was a sculpture, and his mother a well known dancer. They originally wanted their son to be part dinosaur, but unfortunately weren't able to find enough DNA from a single species to use, so instead they went with the next best thing, an Iguana. He has since grown used to using his tail like a third arm, as well as walking in a digit-grade stance.

If I'm right thats what the main character sheet thing built into the site that you make, just not that thingy.
Sanne wrote:
In order to roleplay on the forums, you need to have an IC character profile to post.
I keep forgetting about that bit. ^^;

Damn :/ I honestly think that's a kinda silly rule....
It's not a rule! It's just how the forums were built--which, mind you, were coded from scratch by the site admin. ^^; It's simply logical--IC boards require profiles that are In Character.

Okay so it isn't against the rules, but to post IC you need an IC profile, right?
Yep, because that's how the forums are programmed!

Also I hate to dash on y'all, but I actually need to get to bed! I'll swing by this topic in the morning to answer more questions, unless someone's beaten me to the punch! Don't want you thinking I'm up and abandoning this topic in the middle of posting into it. Adieu, until the morrow!
Darth Sinnice (played by Sanne)

That's right! Just like this. :)

I posted as Sanne before, but on the public roleplay forums I can't reply as myself - I NEED a character profile, like Sinnice's, in order to make a post.

To show you what I mean, go to this topic's reply page (it's my topic, no worries):

http://www.rprepository.com/community/threadreply.php?t=4213

Look at the dropdown menu. You can't reply as Sketch444, because it's an IC forum. You need to pick a character to reply with. So what everyone's been saying is right - it's definitely not against the rules and totally fine, but everyone, including yourself, needs a character profile to reply with for technical reasons.

Okay, well that squashed my hopes abit XD Ah well. Currently fixing up my first character Profile as well so that's good then, and I guess people could always post as an NPC in the rp, or really make an OC for the rp if they want :3 well thanks for the answers. Also, by chance could someoen tell me if we can have a gif avatar? Or how to get one?
Sanne Moderator

You mean an animated avatar like mine? As long as it's 95x95 pixels or less and no larger than 100kb, yes you can!

Ok, do you know how to check that stuff by chance?
Sanne Moderator

When you open Windows Explorer (the folders) where your image is in, select the image, then look at the bottom of the window like so:

E9f0po2.png

Dimensions show 95x95 pixels and Size says 97.5kb, which means the site will accept it. :) If you have a gif that you want to use but it's too large, feel free to PM me and I'll resize it for you if I can.

Aright, thanks. Expect a PM from me soon XD

I can now use a bit mroe help. For whatever reason it won't let me put an image in my character gallery for my character.
Sanne Moderator

What error message are you getting?

Gallery images are subjected to a filesize limit too. I think the limit is 500KB, anything that's bigger than that doesn't work. Dimensions don't matter though, the site automatically resizes anything that's too big in pixels.

If you're trying to upload a .png, run it through this site: https://tinypng.com/

If you're trying to upload a .jpg, run it through this site: http://jpeg-optimizer.com/ (You can uncheck "Resize photo", all that's important here is "Compress image". If compression is too bad though, you can also resize the picture to see if that helps)

NVM ignore this and thanks
Sanne Moderator

You're welcome! When you're editing the profile, click on "Edit the page layout of this profile". :) It's near the top of the page, beneath the icon and links.

You are on: Forums » Help » Group/character etiquette and other questions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus