Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Your favorite plot bunnies

Kim Site Admin

Do you have favorite "plot bunnies" you fall back on when you and your friends can't decide what to play, or you are part of a long term RP that seems to be exhausting its options? Or ones you like to use to try and get some unusual behavior out of a character that has become very set in its ways?

I recently inflicted one of Chronos' "sacrifices" (see at the bottom of the page) in the form of an oath on one of my mains, and I am having a howling good time of it.
Eirwyn

I'm not good with plots, so I either go with:

- QUEST FOR SUPER POWERFUL ARTIFACT, OMG

or

-QUEST TO GO FIGHT AND KILL SOMETHING, MMMM MACHO

Edit: Chronos is pretty fun to play with when you can actually wrangle him into a roleplay. It's too bad we didn't do more with the honesty oath.
I need to roleplay more! Those sacrifices sound fun.. I'm with Eirwyn on this one. If the characters aren't trying to do something like... personality revealing... It's usually revenge, treasure or experience motivated.
Quote:
Oh god this. Why is it so fun? The world may never know.

In my group, we use a lot of cheesy 'life' plot devices. One of the characters just had a baby and my character has an on-again-off-again relationship with her lover, for example. We do other incredibly cheesetastic things too but they are so fun that we just can't help ourselves! Call me Cheddar but not doing at least a few cliche or cheesy things feels really limiting to me.
If you are chedder, than I am swiss when it comes to those plots XD
Back up plot for Bella (played by Daphne_Wreathed) and Lyrra is the ever fun game of mess with the Paladin. We just find some knew way for Lyrra to annoy Bella and see where it leads us.

Other than that- killin' stuff. Lots of stuff.
save x from y before z happens

bonus points for using only abstract nouns to fill in x y and z
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Tasha wrote:
Quote:
Oh god this. Why is it so fun? The world may never know.

In my group, we use a lot of cheesy 'life' plot devices. One of the characters just had a baby and my character has an on-again-off-again relationship with her lover, for example. We do other incredibly cheesetastic things too but they are so fun that we just can't help ourselves! Call me Cheddar but not doing at least a few cliche or cheesy things feels really limiting to me.

Cheese? :O

To me, this is more like bread and butter! RP becomes rapidly meaningless to me without personal connections being developed between characters. This almost inevitably means families will start to develop, unless the character is completely alien and doesn't have the usual human ranges of emotions. I can only stand fighting stuff for so long. Quests can be okay to play if they're personal enough, not just the latest random bounty on a stranger.

But in response to Nefferduat, characters playing pranks sounds like an interesting jump off point to me.
Some of my favs come from books pre 1970 that i never read. Especially scifi. I put twists on them usually.
I actually enjoy being more of an Temporary character for people. When I was on forum role play I use to think of plots and randomly throw them in different packs/groups ( With their permission of course) to give them things to role play off of without worrying about it. Not only does it help my creative mind, it also helps other develop characters and have new interesting things. It could be anything from an attack to something mental.
Zombi

Can't say I do have a favorite honestly. Back when I was an admin/Story teller for a dark, fantasy victorian Sim in Second Life (think DnD meets Jack the Ripper). We, the Story team, would often fill in gaps between big storylines with random bodies being turned up for players to investigate using of the time knowledge and technology to figure out. So I guess that does count as a plot bunny, but was not our or my favorite by far just because trying to moderate a crime scene was a pain.

I do like backstory coming back to haunt a character or person from a skeleton ridden past coming back and being forced to face them; ex-lover, bitter ememy, old comrade thought dead, etc. Something I am currently in the works for my character this week. hehe ^^

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Your favorite plot bunnies

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus