Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Group Founder Deleted

Soooooo
in the hypothetical situation that one was to make a character, use it as the founder of a group that lay unused for a while, and then delete the character, and come back to the group wanting their user to be the founder... what do?

Really the questions are-
A) How does one change who the founder is or whatever
B) What does the founder being dead do?

I sort of checked B and it just lets you use the character but the name is crossed out. I just want it to be cleaner, and not run into suspicious problems later on (also this might be some sort of bug I don't really know).
Sanne Moderator

A: Go to your group's settings > founder options, select a new character or yourself as a founder

B: Not much. Your deleted character will show as a strike through founder until you change it. The group belongs to your player account until you transfer ownership to another player; until that happens you can make all edits to the group as usual.

I'm not sure what you think is a bug, I just tested this on a dummy anonymous character and group and everything is working like it should. There won't be a new founder assigned automatically to protect your privacy, but how you go about selecting a new founder is up to you. Until then your deleted character will remain showing as deleted. Forum posts made as the anon character will remain showing as that character's until you edit every post and change it etc.
Kim Site Admin

As Sanne said, no new founder will be assigned automatically if you delete your founding character. This is not a bug, it is an intended feature, as I don't want to accidentally reveal the identity of a founder who was using an anonymous character. I also don't want to accidentally associate someone's innocent fairy princess with their group about demons, or whatever. It's up to you to change your foundership to something more sensible. It doesn't really hurt much to have one of your defunct characters as the founder, except maybe for social hurt -- if it looks like the founder is dead, people will abandon/not join the group.

If you found a group and then delete your account entirely (meaning you close your user account, not just delete a character) it triggers the "sword in the stone" scenario. All group members are shown a message at the top of group pages explaining that the group is currently without a founder, and asking them if they want to take on the job. If they select yes, they are asked to agree to do their best to run a positive, active group, and comply with all site guidelines for group usage. The first person to agree to those terms becomes the new founder. I believe that it attempts to offer the position first to people the original founder entrusted with some kind of power, such as a group moderatorship or editing power, before making the offer to regular members.

Groups that have no members when the founder account is deleted, and do not gain any new members within about a month, will eventually be cleaned up by the Server.
Danger Topic Starter

Oh >.<
Thanks, I changed it.
Okay, that makes sense, I just thought it was weird that I was still using a character that was dead.
Kim Site Admin

It's definitely weird. :) I think it's the lesser of two evils, though.

You are on: Forums » Help » Group Founder Deleted

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus