Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Group Notifications Confusion

I'm sure this has come up, but I'm not readily finding it, so...

I recently discovered that I haven't been getting group notifications for the most part. I used to get notifications every time anyone did, well, anything in any of the groups I'm in. Because of the tendency of many groups to have periods of silence, it wasn't until today that I realized I've been missing things in some of the groups I'm in. The only notifications I've been getting have been a few sporadic founder posts.

I found my notifications settings in each, and saw that all the boxes were checked. Reading through them, it seemed like they were all turning notifications on, with one possible exception (the first). The wording of the first confuses me, but I went through and unchecked it on all my groups. I didn't really expect any notifications to be added to my feed until more activity happened, but I looked anyway, and saw that that one group notification I had was gone. So... that just confused me further.

So, am I understanding the rest of the boxes right, that having them checked turns notifications on?

And for that first box...
Quote:
Enable Notifications from this Group
This will disable all notifications from this group, regardless of other settings.

...does having it checked turn notifications on or off? If it turns them on, should I be making a bug report about all the notifications I'm missing?
Kim Site Admin

Good question! I am pretty sure that checking that first box turns it on, but I'll review the code to make double sure.

I do know that sometimes, even when group notifications are turned on, an overflowing cache can result in "personal" notifications being preferenced. Sometimes clearing the notifications cache will assist with this.

There's also an issue where some people stop receiving group notifications that I have not been able to track down. Reports with any details are much appreciated. Some day someone will send in the final clue we need to put the whole puzzle together! :)
Zelphyr Topic Starter

So it's a bit of a fuzzy area right now? ^^; I'll try to keep an eye out for oddities with it.
Kim Site Admin

I updated the description of the checkbox to clarify how to use it.

If you've got it checked, you've recently cleared your notifications, and you're still not seeing notifications from a particular group, please send details via the bug report form so I can investigate further. :)

You are on: Forums » Help » Group Notifications Confusion

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus