Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Hobby Thread

Up front, I will be honest: I started this on a whim and glanced down the front page to make sure it wasn't started up. If this is on the second page or something, feel free to nuke this.

So what do you guys do for fun besides being on rpr and chatting it up/roleplaying? I am a huge car nut - I'm a big Nissan guy, but I won't bore ya'll with too much of that - and an even bigger computer dude. That reminds me, I need to get recertified... hurr. Lately, I've been doing something called stickerbombing. What's that? Well, to be blunt with it, it's where you cover something up with stickers. Let's pretend you've got a box (just work with me here :l). That's the base. You've also got a few hundred stickers. After that, you make a few layers of stickers - I got for three or four for complete coverage - and voila. It's all cool and rad looking.

Example:
63564_1634163656027_1294761002_31778238_5247361_n.jpg

It might not be your cup of tea, but I really like it. So far I've stickerbombed my xbox, my 240sx's trunk garnish (a piece of trim), and might be procuring a laptop from Andryn's sister hopefully here soon - if she okays it, etc - that I would also stickerbomb. I got into it from one of my car friends, and it just has skyrocketed from there.

So tell me rpr: What do you do for fun? Are you a audiophile? MMORPG's your thing? Do you like encoding things on the computer? Are you secretly Batmang? Let it all hang out here.
THAT IS SO COOL.

I wanna stickerbomb things now :I

Hmm...well, pathetically enough, my hobby IS RPing. XD But I also participate in my church's drama club, and I've been in the skits for Vacation Bible School a couple years. I'm also a writer, big-time. Hmm...other than that...I think my newest hobby is going over and hanging out with my neighbor's new baby. Gotta love the cute babies <3

When I was young, I LARPed. Not that I knew what that was at the time. To me it was like playing house, but cooler because it was fantasy and X-Men and Star Wars. I kinda wish I could do it again. It was fun. Ironically I was always playing a boy when I LARPed with my best friend, and when she was over last weekend we got on the topic and she begged to hear my 'guy voice'. It's so embarrassing now that I think back on it... XD

I like coloring fuzzy-posters, too. But I don't think I do it enough for it to qualify as a hobby.
I also read manga :I
I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this site >.> amazing people here really! but my hobby? DJing, (and I do it for a living P) but that's beside the point. I love music, and love finding wild and crazy songs to listen to and see about mixing. that... and I like marbles. I love collecting marbles. Somewhere back home in a wooden box filling a crocheted hat (yes that I made OH gods a man that crochets) is a crap ton of marbles of all sizes and colors :D *Thinks about hiding now. >.>
Io, that's cool! :3

I actually just got a 102 piece marble set from my youth group Christmas party. xD

You know you wanna joiiin uuuuus :3 We're just too awesome for you not to get sucked into! :D
Bonebag Topic Starter

Iokua wrote:
I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this site >.> amazing people here really! but my hobby? DJing, (and I do it for a living P) but that's beside the point. I love music, and love finding wild and crazy songs to listen to and see about mixing. that... and I like marbles. I love collecting marbles. Somewhere back home in a wooden box filling a crocheted hat (yes that I made OH gods a man that crochets) is a crap ton of marbles of all sizes and colors :D *Thinks about hiding now. >.>

That is actually rather awesome. I know a little bit about sound mixing because my entire family is into music (one of my aunts has a band, and one of my uncles owns a record label), but not too much.

Now, crochet... That is similar to knitting, is it not? I have a friend that crochets, but it is still a mystery to me, mostly because I'm not 100% sure what it is. On the marble front: I had a marble collection when I was little, once. Then I ate it.
Bonebag wrote:
I had a marble collection when I was little, once. Then I ate it.

Does that mean you... *nudgenudge* lost your marbles? ;D
hehe, this was a fun read. Sticker bombing sounds like fun....XD hehehe.

Well I too am into cars. :D well nearly anything with a motor and can be driven. Before I had my kid I was work 6 days a week at The race track in Calabogie (pernounced. Cala-bogie :D) got to see many cool things there. Many types of dream cars (Porsche's GALORE, I don't get too excited when I seem em as I've seen too many.) My fave car, would be a Lotus Exige.

Mostly for hobbies though I game (rpgs), bake/cook, rp (of course) and drawing/painting.

Here's a glimpse of what I'm working on now...

christmas019.jpg
Really cool, Niki! :D
I play the vidya. I also used to run a gaming broadcast in my spare time and look to get back into it after I purchase my Hauppauge HD PVR. Though I am waiting for now, with the concern of the SOPA bill being passed here in the states, I will not be able to continue doing such things.. Which will suck. But at least I wont dump 200$ to find out it was useless, then have to return object!

I did used to collect knives and daggers, as well as Shot glasses and flasks, but I haven't spent much time on either, recently.
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Really cool, Niki! :D

^-^ thanks it's the the beginning of Cerridwen
Yuka

Hobbies? :)

One of my main hobbies aside from roleplaying that is sort of a side-job, is art - http://disducibus.deviantart.com . If I'm not roleplaying, chances are that I am drawing something at the same time be it art for myself, a commission or a premade design.

But my main hobby is re-enacting. I'm with a local group that are based primarily at Binchester Roman Fort, although we have done events across the North of the UK, as far south as Chester and plan to hopefully do some again in Spain. I portray a gladiatrix (Thracian), and for those events where fighting simply isn't practical or safe, I will be hopefully portraying a priestess of Juno. I've done a few fight displays so far, and cut up my one hand, took a nick out of the other and landed on my ass trying to shield charge someone XD Fun times. It's suprising how warm a mid-thigh length tunica can be in winter, when paired with sandals - no socks - and a floor-length wool cloak. It's a dream come true for me.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

A friend took me a sword fighting class held by a re-enacting group once. That was quite fun but I can see how you would end up with a few injuries. I want to do that again at some point.

My hobbies include making animated movies (like the ones I do for RPR and I am to turn this into a proper career), gaming, modding said games and costume making.
Bonebag Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:
....gaming, modding said games and costume making.
You are now relevant to my interests.
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Bonebag wrote:

OMG did you find them for me????
Whelp, I doodle and draw and watch movies. I actually used to play music, when I was younger. Drums, Piano, Guitar, and before I hit puberty, I sang a lot. But as time went on I sort of fell out of love with it- a lot of it was because my mom really pushed me to get into it and it started to feel more like work than fun (Plus I never learned to read music, which made it a lot harder). I also used to do a minor bit of acting back in highschool- nothing professional, just some side video projects for student videos, but I had a lot of fun with it.

These days it's mostly drawing and Xbox with my best friends (Bones and my surrogate "Big Brother") and my half-brother. Outside of school I haven't had time for much else at all. I used to play pool a LOT- even taught myself to play ambidextrous- and went out once or twice every week to play at the bar over a few pitchers, but I haven't had the time or money for it for months now.
Iokua wrote:
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Bonebag wrote:

OMG did you find them for me????

YES!! *gives Io his marbles*

Also, re-enacting! I forgot about that. I have done three or four weekends/days where I have done Civil war re-enacting with a bunch of people. :) Even went to Fort Pocahontas with my dad and others in our group. It was a lot of fun. We had a wild cat (can't remember just what it was. Cougar or something, I can't remember) come into camp a couple nights. I didn't see it myself, but one of the guys was up and at the campfire. XD

It's really fun. I probably won't get to do it anymore. Dad's too sick to go re-enacting nowadays, and he was pretty much my only connection to the rest of the troop, but oh well. It was fun. :)
I'll just make a list rather than explain. If anyone is curious on something, ask.

RPing...of course.
Drawing
Writing
Random Bits of research (Mostly related to humans in some way)
Science
Mythology
Astronomy
Astrology
Martial Arts (Currently trying to make my own style)
Various card games (Magic, Etc)
Swimming
Pool
Card Games (Poker, Etc)
Gaming
Movies
Music
Carpentry
Counseling

Ummm...there's more but I'm tired from work...so to sleep I go. Heh.

And now that I'm awake.

Swords
Sword fighting
Melee weapon combat
Outdoors stuff (Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Etc)
Knives
Poetry
Minerva

Let's see, hobbies...

I have a few hobbies that are hopeful eventual professions. Writing, per example. I have a few finished novels that I'm waiting to push forward on publishing until I have better net access to keep up better with deadlines, etc. I've worked on some writing projects for half my life, constantly refining it as my understandings of storywriting, concepts etc improve.

I can barely call my anthropological religious and mythological studies a hobby, but I do tend to do it in almost any off time I have.

Art is a new hobby, as of the last year or two. I've got various threads in the art section involving it.

Gaming, of course; can't be in the game retail business without having some form of invested interest. This fuses with my writing, art, and even my theological and religious studies with some unfinished gaming projects I'd love to push forward on if I found the right programmer(s). ((Insert shameless hint/fishing.))

Ultimately... I would say Szurane (my project) has been my primary hobby for many years. Even my mythos studies become part of it.
This is a neat thread! :D

Aside from roleplaying, I've been really into steampunk the past couple of years, especially the costume and accessory making portions.
redskirt.jpg
This was my first attempt at making clothing ever, I don't think it came out too bad. I still wear it to conventions.

goggles.jpg
Made these to wear with my Steampunk costumes :D

392627_2815651913344_1320231290_3120791_1192997488_n.jpg
375424_2815653793391_1320231290_3120792_1910067350_n.jpg
378781_2815648193251_1320231290_3120787_1107400708_n.jpg
386539_2815650833317_1320231290_3120790_1387312160_n.jpg
384582_2665932130443_1320231290_3064213_765378276_n.jpg

These are my final for my class last semester. It's supposed to be a dancers costume, which is why it's not as elaborate as some of the others. All handmade :) I made another skirt, but I can't find a good picture of it. My next costume project is actually going to be making a costume for Sailor Mars from the anime Sailor Moon to wear to a convention in June :D
I'll just list them because they're a little vague lol.

Well my hobbies are a bit different than most, firstly I show dogs because I love it. I also breed sparingly, but mostly show. I rp obviously or I wouldn't be here LOL. Sometimes I dabble in drawing, my passion is theatre arts. I have done minor set design, but am fascinated and in love with lightning design. I design newsletters for a city here, so that lets me get my design need out. I'm a magic player, and addicted to the sims for some reason.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Hobby Thread

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus