Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Fallout 3

Jinx (played anonymously)

It was supposed to be a normal day.

Shiloh never planed on going outside, never in her life. It was 'Born in the Vault, and die in the Vault.' But there she was, gasping on the unclean air and trying to gain her sight back from the blinding sun. This was never supposed to happen!

'I-I have got to be dreaming!' Shiloh thought, trying to stop her coughing fit. 'Why would Dad leave, and why would he leave me?!' She slowly stood up, looking around the ruined land around her. 'Megaton! The overseers computer said something about Megaton! I think I can see it from up here..." She gulped, making her way down the stony path.

After a hour of walking, no, limping, she found herself at the gates of Megaton. She looked up at the structure in awe, her feet moving forward for her. She was greeted by the sheriff, Lucas Simms. She kept silent, never being a one for words. She asked him where she could hear any rumors and he pointed her to the bar at the back of town. She nodded her head at him, running up the slope.

When she walked in, she talked to the owner. After a heated argument for information and 'lies', she was thrown out. So, here she was now, leaning against the metal wall, gasping for air again, trying to calm down. "Worse. Day. In. My. Life!" Shiloh growled, slamming a fist against the wall beside her. "No food, no money, nothing... Why me?" She grumbled, already mentality and physically exhausted.
Wei Liu (played by sinspired)

Ghouls had always been her best friends. Living in the Underworld since her own escape from a vault offered Wei enough connections to have friends in low places. Carol was a good friend of hers, and once she hit Megaton and heard the name Gob, it was only natural to find him and connect.
Having spend only an hour with him, one of the few he was allowed to not work through the day, Wei's skin felt hot from the perpetual sunlight of the irradiated wastelands of the area just outside of Megaton. The last time she had passed through here, nearly two weeks ago, she hadn't even been allowed to see her friend thanks to the ever-displeased boss of Gob's, but, at least, she'd gotten to sit around and have a good chat with him this time. Tomorrow, she would be out looking for a new job once more.
Respirator still tight against her cheeks, Wei offered a muted half-laugh as she trekked up the metal ramp to the saloon. Maybe she could get a drink, she hoped, or bask in the radiation of the holy objects of the Church of Atom.
But there was a girl, where there wasn't usually a girl. Wei drew to a stop, and though her friend noticed, he shook his head and offered a half-hearted goodbye, before disappearing into his workplace. What was she doing here?
"Hey," Wei tried, her voice rasping much like a ghoul's under her worn respirator. Her black eyes glittered with curiosity. She crossed to stand in front of the girl, one hand on her own hip. "You don't look too good."
Ronnie had just arrived back in Megaton. He had set up a small shop here, and was planning to stay in the town for a few more weeks before he left. A heavily modified Robo-brain rolled behind him. It didn't have arms, or any weapons, and its 'head' was replaced with a Protectron head. Welded onto the front where a set of reinforced shopping carts, whose wheels had been removed. In the carts were various sets of armor, ranging from simple leather armor, to reinforced metal armor, to even a suit of Power Armor. Apparently the original owner of the power armor had encountered a pack of traveling Death claws, as indicated by the deep gashes in the plating and dried blood on it. "Alright Robbie. Wait here."Ronnie said once he arrived at his shop, a small shack he had set up, with a similar hybridized Robo-Brain next to it, modified to carry Ronnie's smithing equipment.

Ronnie soon made his way to the bar, going up the ramps. He stopped by Wei and Shiloh. "Uh... excuse me ladies."He said in his usual cheerful voice.
Jinx (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Shiloh blinked, looking up at the woman. She looked her over, studying her. She opened her mouth to speak but stopped when the man appeared. She licked her lips, studying him now. She nodded her head at him, dry coughing again. She turned back to the woman, taking a deep breath. "D-Do I look that bad? I'm sorry... I just left home and I am having some bad luck... "

Glancing over her shoulder, Wei couldn't help but stare at the man who had approached. She recognized him, only vaguely, but how? A new merchant, perhaps. People were always coming and going through Megaton, arriving in the excitement for new business, and leaving, irradiated and poor. Shamefully, Wei often knew she was one of those many people.
She glanced between the two of them then, kneeling down in front of the girl.
"Bad luck, huh? Don't suppose a brahmin just dropped you off here, then." Behind her mask, she wet her lips, casting a concerned glance to the new man. "Looks too pale to be a wanderer, don't you think?"
ronnie shrugged. "Maybe she's from one of the vaults? There's one I pass frequently when walking these paths. Maybe she's from there?"Ronnie offered.

She perked up at the the man's comment, jumping up, slidding past the woman and grabbing his collar. "Was he middle aged? Dark hair? Wearing a lab coat with a vault suit underneath? Tell me!!" She ordered panicky, shaking him slightly. She then turned to her Pipboy, turning on a holotape. A soft mans voice started to play, saying his last goodbyes to her and his apology. "Did he sound like this?! Which way was he headed? That bastard in the bar want me to pay him a hundred 'caps', what ever those are, while I'm out here — s-suffering...!" She pleaded before stopping letting him go to bend down, a new coughing attack coming up.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Wei barked, reaching out. A wave of panic hit her stomach. She didn't know these people. She wasn't going to be able to control these people.

She didn't want to kill someone in the middle of Megaton. Split-second decisions were not her forte.

But this girl, she was without a doubt a vault dweller like the man suggested. She remembered how traumatic it was for her when she left her vault. Blinded, burned by the sun, soft skin, everything making her sneeze -- and the haunting screams into the night of her fellow vault mates being ripped apart. Was that what had happened in this girl's vault?

Her hands groped to the girl's back, trying to pull her away from the merchant. A pleading, apologetic look hit her eyes. "C'mon, kid, slow down! If you need caps, I'll loan you a few, but you're not making any sense!"
Ronnie jumped back at the girl's sudden movement. "Sorry, I-I don't know who you're talking about!"Ronnie yelped, holding his hands up. "I'm sorry, I truly am. But I haven't seen anyone leaving Vault 101. If you're from there you're a first for me."Ronnie said. He glanced up at the saloon, then back at his shop one the Girl mentioned the bartender. "Uh... I think I might be able to help get some information from Moriarity. I think he's an insuferable man."Ronnie said. "If you'll give me a few minutes I have some power armor at my shop. I have enough training to move around in the armor, and I should be able to 'convince' moriarity to give you the information you need. I can also lend you some caps."Ronnie said., holding up a bottle cap, to show what they were.

She slowly calmed down, taking the bottle cap to look at it. Her face was red from shame and she looked up at both of them. "I-I h-h-had some water, a man was standing in it... I-I-It tasted funny, but at the moment I was o-on the verge of f-fainting..." She admitted quietly, her hands playing with the cap.

"I-I'm sorry. Y-You are correct, I'm from the Vault. I-I was ran out after my dad left... That guy inside, Moriarty, said I'm not from there. S-S-Said I was born outside, that dad lied to me..." She stuttered, rubbing her temples. "F-F-Forgive me for my s-s-stuttering, I d-do it when I'm upset..."

She pulled her lab coat closer to her, hiding her vault suit underneath. "S-S-Some people robbed me while walking here, stole everything f-from me b-before beating me into a pulp..."

Her heart skipped a beat as the girl told her story. Her father, and a vault. She was obligated to help her, it felt. Pain throbbed through her chest. Was this how she was going to repay her own father?

"Moriarty gave you trouble?" Wei demanded. "What's your name? Moriarty'll bend to a merc. Or," she glanced to the man, a curiosity brewing in her eyes, "a pair of mercs."
"Oh... uh... I'm not a merc ma'am."Ronnie said, chuckling nervously. But I did come across some old Power armor in the wastes. It's Enclave, and the soldier in it was.... uh... 'disposed of' by a pack of death claws, judging by the damage on it. I have an idea, but I'll need a few minutes to get everything set up. You two stay here and I'll be back shortly."Ronnie said, heading back down into his shack.

After a few minutes he exited the shack, clad in the Death claw scarred Enclave Power armor. It headed back up the ramp, taking a few minutes due to the armor's weight. "Hopefully this should be useful in getting Moriarity to cooperate."Ronnie said, with his voice sounding deeper due to a voice modifier Ronnie put in the helmet. "If you'd be kind enough to come with us so you can directly receive the information you're looking for, than I believe we can go to the bar."Ronnie said.

"M-My name? I-Its Shiloh..." She said quietly, looking up at the woman. She chewed on her finger as she looked around again. "Deathclaws? What are those?" She asked, standing up slowly. When the man left she looked at the woman again, looking down slightly. "Thank you for offering to help, I'm not one with many words..." She sighed putting her hands in her pockets.

When he came back, Shiloh took a few steps back, for this was the first time she saw the armor, as well as the claw marks. She gulped, looking at him in awe. "Y-You aren't going to kill him are you? I just met him, and even if he IS the worst scum possible, I don't believe that would be the answer..."

Sucking in a sharp breath that made her respirator wheeze at the mention of Deathclaws, Wei gave a nod. Shiloh. She would need to remember that. As the man disappeared, however, Wei piped up again. "Deathclaws are certain death out in the wastes. Once you see one, unless you're good with a gun and explosives and you got a good angle, there's no killing it." She felt goosebumps rising on her arms. And if you were sick, she thought with a bitter sadness, you were most certainly dead. "This," she continued though her throat began to close a bit, as she held up the dried, clawed hand she had strung around her neck, "is the hand of a baby Deathclaw."

Then, she reached out, clasping her own hand on Shiloh's shoulder, giving a reassuring squeeze. "Don't you worry, Shiloh. We'll get the info out of Moriarty. And I'll help you find your dad."

Once Ronnie arrived, Wei unshouldered a small, black triangle from her back. With a few clicks, the stock expanded, and the true identity of the assault carbine became known. She held it expertly. Giving a few punches to her own Pipboy, the light clicked on, not doing much in the bright daylight but she knew it would light up the saloon once they were inside.

"Looks good for dead Enclave armor," she mumbled idly. Somedays she wished she had the strength to carry armor, to make her look more like a merc, but she knew it would only weigh her down. "I'm ready when you are, mister. And no. We won't kill him." She shook her gun a bit. "Just give him a fright."
"What?! No! We aren't going to kill him!"Ronnie said in surprise, at the same time as Wei had said the same. "This makes me look more intimidating."Ronnie said. "Alright, come on."Ronnie said, motioning for Wei and Shiloh to follow him. "Oh, by the way, my name is Ronnie Ernest. If you want me two I can armor your vault suit for you, so you're not as vulnerable."He said. The small group soon reached the door to the Saloon, with Ronnie pushing the door open and allowing Wei and Shiloh in first before following them in.

Shiloh chewed on her lip, seeing Moriarty at the counter, yelling at a man. She couldn't see this man until he turned and looked towards them. She gasped at the decomposed man, paling as she looked at him. She licked her lips and took a deep breath, walking closer to the bar owner. "So, you couldn't stay away, huh, lass? Are you ready to pay the 200 caps?" He asked her, a big smirk on his face. "200?! You said a mere 100 not even a hour ago!" She spat, her fists shaking as she fought her anger. "You took too long, lass! Pay up or leave, I don't serve money less people!" He said, pushing her towards the door. Shiloh looked towards the Ronnie and Wei, unsure on what to do.

Ronnie, she thought with a nod. Something else to commit to memory.

As soon as the door opened, her blood started to boil. Gob never really was fond of talking about how bad Moriarty was to him, but Wei knew. Seeing it only made her anger worse. Bristling, she noticed the girl starting to tense when her friend turned. Part of her should have been offended -- those were her people -- but she knew the ghouls were a hrd sight right out of a Vault.

Her friend's eyes narrowed on her, his croaking voice sounding tired. "Wei, why is there always trouble whenever you come around?"

"You'd be bored in life without me, Gob," she replied, rolling her shoulders. "Just do me a favour and go in the back."

Compliant, he gave her a quiet 'whatever,' turning to walk away despite Moriarty's short-temper with Shiloh. "My mom's gonna hear about this, Wei!"

Under her respirator, she couldn't help but smile. Sure she would, but Carol would be glad to hear Wei was helping instead of killing for once. With the thought and her friend now safe, her attention shifted to Moriarty. She'd always hated the bastard. If only she could pull the trigger on her raised carbine, just to plant a little metal piece between his eyes and watch him topple --

She sucked in a wheezing breath.

"Colin," she growled, just to get his attention. Fire flashed in her dark eyes. "My compatriot and I understand you've been harassing this poor girl. Would you like to fix that, or do you want us to?"
"I'm not harassing anybody. Simple business is all."Moriarity said, after Gob had left. "Your 'business' is keeping her from finding her father."Ronnie said. "Well, I'll tell her if she, or you, pay me for my services."Morarity said. "No, you'll tell her, now."Ronnie said. "And if you don't, me and my friend will make your life ten times worse than it already is."Ronnie said. "I'd watch what ya say, lad. You have any idea what I could do to you in this town?"Moriarity asked. "Oh please, do you have any idea what my friend and I can do to you?"Ronnie asked.

Shiloh opened her mouth but quickly closed it when Moriarty's glare focused on her. She avoided eye contact from him and played with her fingers, taking a deep breath. "Fine, fine, I'll tell you! Your dad came in here alright. He didn't stay long, just asked what the word was. I told him GNR was the place for that and then he left. Now, since I told you, get out and take your mercs with you! You better be gone when I finish inventory..." He grumbled at her nastily before turning away and stormed his way to the back, tossing Gob back into the front.

Shiloh blinked, watching him go, speechless. She let up a smile and looked up at Ronnie and Wei. "I was afraid a brawl was going to start, I could hear my heart in my ears! Thank you both! How can I repay you both? I don't have any money, but I have some skill in the medical field and I know how to cook!" She beamed at them. It was obvious that she hasn't been out long, she had a innocent, child-like look about her.

While Moriarty turned to walk out, Wei felt her finger urging to squeeze the trigger. She wanted so badly to kill him, to be rid of that damned man forever, but she held herself back.

As the ghoul returned to the room, Wei gave a simple nod toward him, which was reciprocated, before she lowered her gun. She turned attention to the other two she had brought in with her. Why did she not feel any accomplishment?

"I don't need payment, Shiloh," Wei muttered idly. Her gun collapsed in her hand, returning to its place strapped to her back. Odd, she thought, she was a merc! A merc, who didn't ask for payment this time! She hadn't done any mercenary work, she told herself, that wasn't what this was. This was need. "I...like...helping people."

That was a lie, she thought.

"D'you think your dad would've tried to go after the GNR building?"

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Fallout 3

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus