Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » So, it turns out I'm evil.

Minerva

I noticed the loan place nearby has an open sharing connection that lets us access their six printers.

I just sent and printed a file on one of them that says "I know what you did last summer" in randomized font.

I'm only wondering what kind of responses that's gonna get. Too bad I can't see it.

Am I a horrible person?

In addendum, I figured I should say that might teach a tax preparation service with loads of private data to keep their files secure. I mean wtf. Seriously

The name of the business? Security Finance. I didn't open any of their files, but I even saw files titled "Child Support" and "______ trial."

That's just... horrible.";
Kim Site Admin

THEY LET YOU DO WHAT?

I'd seriously tell the better business bureau. They are playing with people's private data and potential identity theft. D:
Minerva Topic Starter

Yeah, I know. Child support files, trial files, are all open access. They didn't "let" me short of turning off their security measures. I figured that might make them doublethink, and if it's still open next week I'm going to report it.
Kim Site Admin

Minerva wrote:
Yeah, I know. Child support files, trial files, are all open access. They didn't "let" me short of turning off their security measures. I figured that might make them doublethink, and if it's still open next week I'm going to report it.

I'd count that under "let". Nothing tried to stop you, after all.
Minerva Topic Starter

They're lucky it's just me. I was a mix of horrified and amused. The amusement led to I Know What You Did Last Summer as my first measure. I can even delete files from here if I wanted to be a complete ass.
Minerva Topic Starter

What's worse is, as I'm looking, about half of their employees are unprotected too. I can't think of where else all of these open computers named after people are coming from. Half of them or so are still protected. Good on half of the idiots.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

That doesn't make you evil, the opposite infact. It's amazing how some companies just don't seem to understand how vulnerable their wifi is if they don't apply the correct security measures.
Minerva Topic Starter

Yeah. it's bad enough on common businesses, but a finance, loan, tax place that also handles the city's trials, legal disputes for money and all of that. It's actually a stunning level of ignorance.
Minerva Topic Starter

A friend named Lonnie (Drayle knows him) showed up at the park and I was like "Oh! Hey Lonnie King Awesome!" as per his computer's name. Then I was like "Wait. What's all of this?" and the rabbit hole just perpetuated and got deeper.
As an IT guy, I am flabbergasted by this. As a person, I am appalled. As a troll, I cannot even begin to tell you how much win you have committed. I would just print out, "You really ought to give some thought to cyber security. Also, u suk lololololololol" and go fishing for reactions.
Minerva Topic Starter

well i live in, essentially, bumblefork nowhere. Almost as bad, the courthouse, city hall, etc all have the same password: (ourtownname)pass. I hate living with hicks.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

A few years ago in England we had a problem where politicians, social workers and such kept leaving laptops and USB flash drives in trains. It was a big problem because they often had very sensitive data on them.

It got to a point where people were saying other countries don't need highly trained spies to infiltrate government facilities, they just need to go on a train and look for laptop cases that had been left behind.

What baffled me is how could anyone be so stupid. It's one thing to leave an umbrella or something like that but a laptop?
Minerva Topic Starter

That is horrible. I think locally they figure we are such a smalltime town that nobody would bother--which is stupid, of course. The only thing this town ever got on the map for was one person getting on a pro sports team, and the brutal drug and racially motivated dragging death of a man down a road i have to take to work every time. I hate this rut of a town. The only people who enjoy it are the people who come here to die. Rich old folks use it like florida, but to retire where nobody can bother them. But young people are so desperate to get out i have seen several throw a bag over their shoulder and take off on foot. Often its like a vortex. Even during escape it drags you back in.
Two

In the interests of covering your own ass, I wouldn't report this. I believe you may have broken the law by connecting to their network, even if it is unsecured.
Jello_Monsta

Two wrote:
In the interests of covering your own ass, I wouldn't report this. I believe you may have broken the law by connecting to their network, even if it is unsecured.

^Agree

Yea, I'd be careful. Especially since they are taking things super serious now with the whole internet and invasion of privacy thing and hacking.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » So, it turns out I'm evil.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus