Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What can kill an rp for you?

Arkavious Topic Starter

Lescerto wrote:
Arkavious wrote:
Lescerto wrote:
Oh jeez... Well, to contribute at random for no reason, I'd say the big one that kills an RP for me is a complete lack of attention. You post clear detail about, hypothetically, the time of day only to have it disregarded entirely in the following post.

Poor grammar and spelling really mess me up too. I just can't hang in an RP with someone who is short-posting and still making half a dozen errors per post. A few typos here and there is fine, but it can't be constant.

well sometimes people have issues that make it hard for them to post properly, I for one know my grammar sucks ass but it is due to having my head bashed against a rock wall as a kid so I do not always use the right words.

I don't mean to come off as a grammar Nazi or anything. I make mistakes too. When it's a constant issue obviously spawned from years of using netspeak, I have a problem with it.
I understand and I hate people using net speak in an rp, atleast make an effort if you are going to rp.. I mean its kinda lame when you post a line of half assed words.. but like I said, I dont have perfect grammar but I try
Arkavious wrote:
Lescerto wrote:
Arkavious wrote:
Lescerto wrote:
Oh jeez... Well, to contribute at random for no reason, I'd say the big one that kills an RP for me is a complete lack of attention. You post clear detail about, hypothetically, the time of day only to have it disregarded entirely in the following post.

Poor grammar and spelling really mess me up too. I just can't hang in an RP with someone who is short-posting and still making half a dozen errors per post. A few typos here and there is fine, but it can't be constant.

well sometimes people have issues that make it hard for them to post properly, I for one know my grammar sucks ass but it is due to having my head bashed against a rock wall as a kid so I do not always use the right words.

I don't mean to come off as a grammar Nazi or anything. I make mistakes too. When it's a constant issue obviously spawned from years of using netspeak, I have a problem with it.
I understand and I hate people using net speak in an rp, atleast make an effort if you are going to rp.. I mean its kinda lame when you post a line of half assed words.. but like I said, I dont have perfect grammar but I try

As long as it's readable and comprehensible, I'm totally fine with it. However, so help me, if I ever see "lol" in a post, I'm done. With RPing. Forever.
Arkavious Topic Starter

I wouldn't quit, but I would give that person the ban hammer, and use the stamp of shame
Arkavious wrote:
I wouldn't quit, but I would give that person the ban hammer, and use the stamp of shame

I don't know what the "stamp of shame" is, but I could sure use it.
Arkavious Topic Starter

Lescerto wrote:
Arkavious wrote:

I don't know what the "stamp of shame" is, but I could sure use it.

It is also known as the ignore/block button then letting all your friends know why you slapped them with the iggy stick
Duly noted. Thank you!
Arkavious Topic Starter

no problem!
Asroc

Minor typos I can let slide. Text talk is a big no for me. Considering I do not understand most internet slang. I to google what "BFF" meant.

How about them proses?

Many of us use third person POV. First person POV in rps that are mixed with third person posts kind of kill it for me.
Something that killed it for me was a RP that involved robbery and a large amount missing funds -- then another person joined and their character just happened to make 2 million that day and could give it away to the person the money was stolen from. It defeated the entire premise of the plot :c
carmine

I have the tendency to type posts at exhausting lengths because for years I have had partners who would not accept anything less than four to five paragraphs, and it was typically viewed as laziness when I was unable to make it past the fourth. These days I reside comfortably between three to four entries in the Furcadia client which is around four paragraphs, but I hardly have the tolerance for people who value quantity over quality.

I am also put off when there is an expected amount of love, especially concerning Welles. He is a sociopath and is incapable of the emotion so he cannot feel nor will he ever discover what it is to love. Despite that being repeated all over his pages, there is an excessive amount of expectation with some players that their characters will change that, and he will fall for them. It can be mentally exhausting to put up with not only knowing they have this idea in their heads, but also explaining it to them and dealing with the aftermath once I have need to reiterate that it isn't going to happen. It is simply not feasible for my character to be a romantic, and I do not like for the player to get upset with me over it.
Parkerdrome

Err... I'm not exactly sure .-. But I can define a few probably

Internet slang
I understand people like to use it from time to time so I let that slide but I cannot stand the extended use. I cannot stand it when people just write "lol I fell and u dont have a rope". It just...my biggest pet peeve. In chats, I use stuff like brb or gtg when I really have little to no time to write an explanation.

Plot convenience
Okay, so an example is someone loses their favorite watch. Then a complete stranger just happens to find it and know exactly who it belongs to. Or if a character gets hurt and another character just so happens to have the cure. It defeats the point of the rp and the character getting hurt in the first place.

Bad grammar
Okay, I understand typos. I make a lot of them since most of the time I am on mobile for the RPR. But if you just spell like a kindergarten we or even worse, I will either kindly let you know or...well, I haven't gotten to the point where I just COMPLETELY ignore the Rp and just stop chatting with the person and block them. I don't block people nor think I will ever.
carmine wrote:
I have the tendency to type posts at exhausting lengths because for years I have had partners who would not accept anything less than four to five paragraphs, and it was typically viewed as laziness when I was unable to make it past the fourth. These days I reside comfortably between three to four entries in the Furcadia client which is around four paragraphs, but I hardly have the tolerance for people who value quantity over quality.

What if a persons idea of quality posting is past four or five paragraphs? Not trying to detract from your argument or say that bad bad you for being "lazy". It just seems like you are not attracted to people who put sot of effort in to their writing or try to. (Some of us enjoy utilizing descriptors to further immerse others and ourselves in a roleplay and do not always use the furcadia client to conduct business since it isn't always feasible to sit around and wait for rp or for a partner to get online when using PM is a lot more convenient and easier to read from than the tiny window furcadia provides.)

In all honesty, some times I found that people who place minimal effort in to a role-play to be a severe detractor from potential plot and interaction between characters no matter how interesting their ideas were or how nice of a person a player is. (Minimal being only one paragraph or four sentences worth of content and flat interaction between characters and or their environment.) This goes hand in hand with first person or persona styled writing, short hand (use of Internet slang terms to short hand words like probably or pretty with p.) and General ooc mixed with ic unless it was for the intention of plotting or further an idea.
Asroc

Parkerdrome wrote:
Err... I'm not exactly sure .-. But I can define a few probably

Plot convenience
Okay, so an example is someone loses their favorite watch. Then a complete stranger just happens to find it and know exactly who it belongs to. Or if a character gets hurt and another character just so happens to have the cure. It defeats the point of the rp and the character getting hurt in the first place.

That burns me. I seen it allot with "Magical healy" people. My character Akira has scars. I do not want someone making his scars "Vanish".
What really bothers me and I know it happened to all of us at least once is when someone is not feeling the roleplay. You can tell by there lack of post or maybe not posting at all. Which ties to my next one is someone just stops roleplaying with you all together because they don't like something in the roleplay. For example, If I do something wrong or something is bothering you and they don't say anything and it leads them to ignoring you or them just being rude to you all together. Sometimes the person doesn't know they are doing anything wrong, we are not perfect and we all have our flaws and make mistakes, we are only human. All I am asking is that you tell me right away and I can fix it. Which people have done in the past and I do fix my post and then we have a great roleplay! Sadly others haven't and they either get mad or become rude or block me all together, let the person know so you both can have a great roleplay adventure.

Okay I feel better now for saying that. XD
Asroc

PrincessLuna wrote:
What really bothers me and I know it happened to all of us at least once is when someone is not feeling the roleplay. You can tell by there lack of post or maybe not posting at all. Which ties to my next one is someone just stops roleplaying with you all together because they don't like something in the roleplay. For example, If I do something wrong or something is bothering you and they don't say anything and it leads them to ignoring you or them just being rude to you all together. Sometimes the person doesn't know they are doing anything wrong, we are not perfect and we all have our flaws and make mistakes, we are only human. All I am asking is that you tell me right away and I can fix it. Which people have done in the past and I do fix my post and then we have a great roleplay! Sadly others haven't and they either get mad or become rude or block me all together, let the person know so you both can have a great roleplay adventure.

Okay I feel better now for saying that. XD

I know that feeling. I work allot more these days and I really can't full fill many RPs as I use to. I can possibly do three or four on a good work night.

However, I have ran across the lack of effort in a post by some people. This happened more when I RPed on Gaia or Tumblr. Just some people who have really cardboard characters who lack a personality.

One thing that gripes me is that I use British spelling. I.E Colour, Artefact and pyjamas. I had one person say I was illiterate for saying "Colour" wrong.

Another pick...

Long ago. I Rped someone who spelled "hole" as hole in the ground as "whole".
People can really throw me off before RPing, actually. I was trying to brainstorm with someone who was only interesting in telling me about the awesomeness about his/her character, instead of actually trying to develop a plot.
Also, I have issues with what I like to call pew-pew messages, which is when people responds almost instantly with half a sentence and kinda speeds up the story(if that makes any sense), but I also struggle with people who writes insanely long posts about what goes through their character's mind, and I'm just sitting here like "whaaaaaaat do I even reply to this?"
Asroc

Penholder wrote:
People can really throw me off before RPing, actually. I was trying to brainstorm with someone who was only interesting in telling me about the awesomeness about his/her character, instead of actually trying to develop a plot.

THIS ONE!

I have ran across someone who was so conceited and arrogant about their OC. I was all. "Okay man, but... uh. Not to be rude, but can we plot?
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Penholder wrote:

THIS ONE!

I have ran across someone who was so conceited and arrogant about their OC. I was all. "Okay man, but... uh. Not to be rude, but can we plot?

How to you get around this without seeming rude?
Sanne Moderator

Penholder wrote:

I'd just honestly try to direct the conversation to plot building. "So about the plot, how about...." once or twice. If they insist on ignoring attempts to work on a plot, I'd be honest about that too. "I understand your character is important to you and I appreciate the effort you put into him/her, but right now I really want to focus on working up details for the plot. Can I get your input for that too?"

If after that they still refuse, I'd just tell them I'm not interested in playing with someone who doesn't want to work with me and wish them a good day.
Sanne wrote:
Penholder wrote:

I'd just honestly try to direct the conversation to plot building. "So about the plot, how about...." once or twice. If they insist on ignoring attempts to work on a plot, I'd be honest about that too. "I understand your character is important to you and I appreciate the effort you put into him/her, but right now I really want to focus on working up details for the plot. Can I get your input for that too?"

If after that they still refuse, I'd just tell them I'm not interested in playing with someone who doesn't want to work with me and wish them a good day.

It might just be me, but I feel like I would still seem rude! Conflicts and confrontations are not really my thing, I suppose.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What can kill an rp for you?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus