Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What can kill an rp for you?

Asroc

Penholder wrote:
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Penholder wrote:
People can really throw me off before RPing, actually. I was trying to brainstorm with someone who was only interesting in telling me about the awesomeness about his/her character, instead of actually trying to develop a plot.

THIS ONE!

I have ran across someone who was so conceited and arrogant about their OC. I was all. "Okay man, but... uh. Not to be rude, but can we plot?

How to you get around this without seeming rude?

It's hard, because even with the slightest word, the person would get triggered and throw a giant hissy fit and a tantrum. I kindly ask them can we plot instead rather than hear how awesome their character is. If they continue to run off their gob, I just pretty much tell them no and move on elsewhere.

It's why I don't like RPing with people who keep telling me how "BADASS" their character is or how that they would appear in a franchise.
Silovit wrote:
A one or two-line post isn't always necessarily a roleplay killer, because in some situations anything else added to the post other than the main events and actions/lines is filler and becomes extremely annoying to read. When someone initiates a pointless event just to have something to write and make the post longer, or notes the character's surroundings for the n'th time, it may ruin the roleplay for others, because the event forces them to write out an equally pointless reaction from their own character.

While poor quantity may equal poor quality, it isn't always like that. A proper conversation between two people, for example, is mostly lines rather than paragraphs worth of meaningful actions to note. Sometimes writing little is best. Poor Q & Q ruins things, yeah, but Quality's more important and its lack is an even bigger rp killer.
Sorry for late response, this vanished from my feed. I feel like what I say though can help others who look at this topic. I understand that it's not the same for everyone :) but for me (which is what the topic asks), I find it incredibly hard to respond to a post that is two simple lines. I'm not asking for fluff, but there is always something more that could be said. I especially like the 'show, don't tell' method. I have to work on this myself but its a good idea to keep in mind! Instead of saying 'he was sad', describe it. 'His eyes watered, shoulders slumped in defeat. His heart ached, arms hanging listlessly at his side'. My example is a little dramatic but it gets the point across. When something is shown in a post instead of told, it gives the partner more to work with :)
Sanne Moderator

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
It's hard, because even with the slightest word, the person would get triggered and throw a giant hissy fit and a tantrum.
Penholder wrote:
It might just be me, but I feel like I would still seem rude! Conflicts and confrontations are not really my thing, I suppose.

To both of these things, I can only refer to this wonderful article: http://www.rprepository.com/help/drama/

How you approach a situation matters. Assuming that someone will blow up in your face before you even talked to them is just setting you up for a negative encounter. Try to approach them with the mindset that both of you want to have fun, and both of you want to be friends; it really helps out a lot. Sometimes we have to be honest and frank if we want to communicate and ensure both sides have a good time. You'd be surprised at how docile and understanding people are if you are nice about it and don't expect the worst.
Asroc

Some do understand, which is a good thing. Some, like rookies may not. The most I ran across was a polite person who apologised on their half.

Back on topic.

Info dumps.

I am fine with someone being discriptive on how their character looks or what the setting is like. I feel as if that telling us what they smell like or what they are doing is derailing from the rp.

Not so much of a peeve.

Comma placement and punuaction abuse.
I've noticed that players sometimes see an aspect of their playstyle mentioned as someone else's peev in these threads. I think the important thing to take away from this is there is no right or wrong way to play, it's up to us to try and surround ourselves with styles we like or at least tolerate, unless you aren't picky. It's okay to be picky so long as you play nice. I've met several fantastic people on here with great imaginations, and even if our interests or styles don't always align, we're still part of a like-minded community that just loves to write. I guess to contribute, I could say my peev is when people forget to have fun ;)
Libertine wrote:
I've noticed that players sometimes see an aspect of their playstyle mentioned as someone else's peev in these threads. I think the important thing to take away from this is there is no right or wrong way to play, it's up to us to try and surround ourselves with styles we like or at least tolerate, unless you aren't picky. It's okay to be picky so long as you play nice. I've met several fantastic people on here with great imaginations, and even if our interests or styles don't always align, we're still part of a like-minded community that just loves to write. I guess to contribute, I could say my peev is when people forget to have fun ;)

I would "like" this if I could.
Novalyyn wrote:
I would "like" this if I could.

<3
Asroc

Is it safe to admit if an RP is going no place count as well? This happened more on Tumblr and other forum based RPs where a topic with a partner would just get boring after a while. The sad thing.I sometimes feel bad when I have to drop the RP.
I think my greatest one is when my Partner brings in other characters as the Antagonist and make the scene impossible to execute that it's impossible to win against said Antagonist. Not saying GodModding, but, how does a normal person compete with five guys that are equipped with a sub-machine gun, a rocket-launcher, etc? Impossible solution is impossible.
Asroc

SINDragon wrote:
I think my greatest one is when my Partner brings in other characters as the Antagonist and make the scene impossible to execute that it's impossible to win against said Antagonist. Not saying GodModding, but, how does a normal person compete with five guys that are equipped with a sub-machine gun, a rocket-launcher, etc? Impossible solution is impossible.

I seen that happen before in allot of roleplays. Not on here, but elsewhere. Where a person and you are in a story and the said person feels the need to "spice" things up when it doesn't go their way? Yeah. It gets annoying. You can always ask them in a nice manner that they should not do that. My best bet is to try to ask them to do something better instead of making things feel like a cliché animé episode.
Kim Site Admin

The mod team would like to make it clear that although we understand that everyone needs to vent sometimes, we have also locked several pet peeve topics over the last few months for excessive negativity, disinterest in talking things out with partners and instead complaining about them in public (where they likely recognize themselves and have their feelings hurt for sure, instead of the mild risk of that associated with a heart to heart!), statements of opinion as fact or moral judgement, and general repetitiveness of the discussions without any solutions. I want to make sure that this thread does not go in the same direction.

We are pleased that this thread has a whole lot of people suggesting very reasonable solutions to many of the issues here, and would like to encourage everyone not to dismiss these possibilities. Talking stuff out is not as crazy as you think. It's definitely harder than venting about "anonymous" trouble makers, but it does far more good!
Kim wrote:
Talking stuff out is not as crazy as you think. It's definitely harder than venting about "anonymous" trouble makers, but it does far more good!

I'd like to second this as a simple player with absolutely no connection to staff or admin or anything of the sort as far as I'm aware. I'm huge on OOC communication. It can be scary at first, because you never know how someone will react even to simply chatting about a possible problem but--this is the Repository, where most people are, in the vernacular, "chill". (I'm still hip, damn it.) It might be harder than venting, but as Kim alluded to, it can also make the problems worse.

Seriously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "Hey, I'm not sure about <this> element," or even, "You know, <that> is actually becoming uncomfortable for me; can we see about how to work around it?" Most people here are damned good about such things, far more than people may believe. Talking stuff out should be the number-one, go-to reaction to things, because most people are only too happy to at least explain why they do something, and to date, nearly every single partner I've had has been willing to work with me to find a compromise to keep the story fun and exciting for us both. Ditching the story has almost never been even mentioned, much less considered, and I've never run into any drama over communicating.

It really ain't that crazy of an idea. :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What can kill an rp for you?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus