Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Language Barriers (Closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Claine Moderator

Hey there! I thought it'd be fun to have a RP where two characters can't speak each other's native tongue. In particular, I think it's be really cute to have a mentor/amateur relationship between the two characters, where despite their communication barrier, one helps the other learn to fight, survive and need to rely on each other during their adventure. During the course of the RP, one character would begin to pick up the other's language - starting with a simple concept such as numbers, yes/no and so forth.

Here are some of my characters which might be appropriate for such a RP: (All these characters speak Common and one other language, but for the sake of RP we could just have them 'forget' Common.)

Hajar: Created as a D&D character but can be used in any generic fantasy world. She's a monk-in-training currently sent on a mission from the monastery leader. Despite what you might expect of a half orc, she's calm, contemplative and trustworthy. She attempts to control her natural orc rage through meditation, and it works... most of the time. She could either be paired with a younger and less experienced traveller, or an old wise monk.

Tsane: A noble ex-soldier. If you needed someone you can trust to watch your back, you couldn't find better than Tsane. Very much the white-knight stereotype, Tsane values protection, justice and peace. He ends up being quite older-brotherly when played with younger and inexperienced characters, so this might be a good match for him.

West: A dishonourable ex-soldier. West is basically the polar opposite of Tsane, being very self serving and brutal. He's the one most likely to screw your character over. It will require a quite a bit of prior discussion because it might be hard to make RP with him work. Perhaps your character would have to have a very specific use to him which far outweighs the problems of travelling together. Another option is if your character has to be legitimately noble/scary. If there's a significantly larger fish in the tank, West tends to behave himself (which is why I usually pair West and Tsane^ together).

Azereus: While Azereus isn't evil, he certainly isn't 'nice'. Azereus would likely be slow to warm up to your character. Since Azereus has ego through the roof, I think he'd be better matched with a younger character (with only rare exceptions, Azereus likes being in charge and probably would not hang around with serious competition.) He might at first even attempt to ditch your character before attempting to help them learn.

Now a couple of my RP preferences:

I always RP paragraph. Multi-para is not uncommon either.
Spelling/Grammar etc.
I'm a big girl and I can violence and swear up a storm
Romance is not a necessity but if it occurs naturally I'm not opposed to it.
Fantasy setting only. I'm also very unlikely to accept fandom characters.
Dice use not a necessity but always fun to throw in a little spice.

Any questions / comments? Feel free to drop them in this thread.
Magic 80%
Magic is common.
Technology 30%
Renaissance
Combat 60%
Combat is woven into the storyline and could come to the forefront if the characters seek it out.

Details: Occasional dice use, paragraphs required, long-term RP partner preferred.

I'm certainly interested! I really like the idea, and I have a muse that I believe would work. I normally play in modern or sci-fi settings, but I'm always up for fantasy.

I think Hajar and Bandai would be an interesting matchup, especially should Bandai assume the role of a more amateur traveller. (Not to mention, that height difference is pretty amusing.)
Claine Topic Starter Moderator

Is he a fandom character? I kind of suspect he is, but I can't even hazard a guess which fandom he is from.

She would tower over him XD! Before he is able to communicate his name to her, I imagine she'd give him a nickname such as 'Baby'. If you don't mind changing Bandai for this RP, I think it could work. What would he be in the context of this RP? An amateur monk? A swordsman or other kind of fighter?

Perhaps Hajar could protect him during his travels and he just ends up tagging along?
Hey there! ^^ This sounds interesting! Maybe either Rachel or Pride could travel alongside West? ^^'

West actually has a complicated relationships with demons (is Rachel a demon? I'm not quite sure what she is). So if he was to be travelling with them, I suspect it'd be less than willingly. We'd have to figure out a way to draw them together and want to stay together despite their language barrier.

In truth, West doesn't aim high. His ambitions are more focused towards looting, pickpocketing, highway robbery - that kind of thing. So perhaps they could end up being caught in something larger after a robbery goes wrong?
Rachel's Serenian- Inhabitants of my world Serenia. The only thing really special about them is their blood is poisonous, their body Temperature is below normal and... Well, that's pretty much it XD

And sure! That sounds cool! ^^
Hazel (played by Amirrora)

Hazel is sort of a Zelda FC, but can be used otherwise. She's really just an immortal forest-child and isn't really tied into the series much. If not her, I have others. But I thought she'd work best as she lives in a forest away from normal society and could very possibly be speaking a different language. As I said, sort of leaning towards a Zelda FC, but not entirely. Really just an immortal forest-child. Well, an immortal girl who LOOKS like a child, living in the forest. I thought she'd pair nicely with Tsane perhaps, and perhaps she could speak some sort of Nymph/forest language? And desires to travel outside her forest or something, but is afraid to alone? Or she could be with Azereus? Since she SEEMS to be a child. And he wouldn't be able to tell with the language difference and all.

SINDragon wrote:
Rachel's Serenian- Inhabitants of my world Serenia. The only thing really special about them is their blood is poisonous, their body Temperature is below normal and... Well, that's pretty much it XD

And sure! That sounds cool! ^^

So is she evil or good?
Sort of in between, though she does stray onto the 'Evil' path.

Hazel wrote:
Hazel is sort of a Zelda FC, but can be used otherwise. She's really just an immortal forest-child and isn't really tied into the series much. If not her, I have others. But I thought she'd work best as she lives in a forest away from normal society and could very possibly be speaking a different language. As I said, sort of leaning towards a Zelda FC, but not entirely. Really just an immortal forest-child. Well, an immortal girl who LOOKS like a child, living in the forest. I thought she'd pair nicely with Tsane perhaps, and perhaps she could speak some sort of Nymph/forest language? And desires to travel outside her forest or something, but is afraid to alone? Or she could be with Azereus? Since she SEEMS to be a child. And he wouldn't be able to tell with the language difference and all.

Yeah that's fine. She's not Saria or an actual fandom character, so I don't mind if you slightly change her background and use her.

I think Azereus would be an interesting fit - I've actually envisioned him taking care of a much younger character in the past. He may be money focused but he's not heartless. If he mistook her for an abandoned child he'd certainly want to lead her out of harm. It might take a long time to get close to her since he'd see her as a 'task' and not really another person.

Tsane is also a very good choice. He'd be incredibly protective. I think he'd make a much more conscious effort to teach Hazel how to defend herself and how to speak his native tongue. They could definitely develop a really cute brother/sister relationship.

SINDragon wrote:
Sort of in between, though she does stray onto the 'Evil' path.

I think I'd rather RP with her then. (Despite everything I've said, West isn't strictly evil either. I consider him chaotic neutral, but definitely leans to 'evil' when left to his own devices.) It'd prevent him having to travel with a demon, not to mention he'd be scheming 1000 ways to use her blood if he ever managed to find out it was toxic.

Claine wrote:
Hazel wrote:

Yeah that's fine. She's not Saria or an actual fandom character, so I don't mind if you slightly change her background and use her.

I think Azereus would be an interesting fit - I've actually envisioned him taking care of a much younger character in the past. He may be money focused but he's not heartless. If he mistook her for an abandoned child he'd certainly want to lead her out of harm. He might take a long time to get 'close' to her.

Tsane is also a very good choice. He'd be incredibly protective. I think he'd make a much more conscious effort to teach Hazel how to defend herself and how his native tongue. They could definitely develop a really cute brother/sister relationship.

Ohh you meant like an canon character? Yeah, she's not a canon character haha. Nope. I don't mind others playing canon's but I just can't do it myself. But yeah, I'll just change it from Kokori to just an immortal forest child. :) Not a huge change.

Both sound really interesting, but it's up to you for sure! Which would YOU have more fun with? :) I think with Azereus would have some more drama but also be very nice with him assuming she's a child and such as that IS how she looks and all. And hence believing she's lost or run away from home. But in another sense with Tsane the brother/sister relationship sounds cute too! Really it's whoever you'd have the most fun playing with her!
Alright then!

Hazel wrote:
Ohh you meant like an canon character? Yeah, she's not a canon character haha. Nope. I don't mind others playing canon's but I just can't do it myself. But yeah, I'll just change it from Kokori to just an immortal forest child. :) Not a huge change.

Both sound really interesting, but it's up to you for sure! Which would YOU have more fun with? :) I think with Azereus would have some more drama but also be very nice with him assuming she's a child and such as that IS how she looks and all. And hence believing she's lost or run away from home. But in another sense with Tsane the brother/sister relationship sounds cute too! Really it's whoever you'd have the most fun playing with her!

Aaaah it's such a hard choice. But I think I might prefer to RP with Tsane. They have such a huge size difference, it opens a lot of possibilities. I think there could be lots of cute situations where they need to use both his brawn and her small size / agility to get out of a tough situation. And the image of them sitting around a campfire trying to converse is also really cute ;~;

Claine wrote:
Hazel wrote:

Aaaah it's such a hard choice. But I think I might prefer to RP with Tsane. They have such a huge size difference, it opens a lot of possibilities. I think there could be lots of cute situations where they need to use both his brawn and her small size / agility to get out of a tough situation. And the image of them sitting around a campfire trying to converse is also really cute ;~;

Sure thing! It does really sound adorable~ :) I'm game for that! It's why I asked what you would enjoy most! I want my partner to have fun too~ I'm excited it sounds very fun. Is PMs okay? I prefer them if possible.

SINDragon wrote:
Alright then!

So any ideas how they should meet?

Hazel wrote:
Claine wrote:
Hazel wrote:

Sure thing! It does really sound adorable~ :) I'm game for that! It's why I asked what you would enjoy most! I want my partner to have fun too~ I'm excited it sounds very fun. Is PMs okay? I prefer them if possible.

Yes, PMs are fine! I think we're probably ready to start unless there's anything else you'd like to discuss. Who should begin the RP?
Claine wrote:
Hazel wrote:
Claine wrote:
Hazel wrote:

Yes, PMs are fine! I think we're probably ready to start unless there's anything else you'd like to discuss. Who should begin the RP?

I think it's all fine! If possible could you begin? I'm no good at starters.
I'm between 1-3 paragraphs on average, sometimes a few sentences if having some trouble.
Up to 5ish paragraphs when really in the mood. If that all sounds good?
That's the thing, I can't XD

Amirrora wrote:

I think it's all fine! If possible could you begin? I'm no good at starters.
I'm between 1-3 paragraphs on average, sometimes a few sentences if having some trouble.
Up to 5ish paragraphs when really in the mood. If that all sounds good?

Yep. That's roughly the length I aim for in my own RPs. I'll go ahead and start us up then.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Language Barriers (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus