Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Playable races ideas

Smile (played anonymously)

I'm still working on the continuity information on my group Planet Polyhymnia: http://www.rprepository.com/g/polyhymnia

Currently my focus lies on creating a list of playable races which exist on the planet. They can be a native species or hail from any other alien world. The crazier, then probably the better too! NPCs will be based on these too.

Question being however, does anyone feel like throwing out ideas for these races? I'm running a little short on ideas (not all are written down yet) so if you feel like sharing creative juices, here's a cup. :)
I just spent a good hour and a half thinking up and writing out, in great detail, a species idea for you. Then I hit 'go' in the wrong window while looking up polydactyly, and lost every single melon farming gottverdamnt bit of it.

I'll try again later if I calm down.

Sorry for the language.
Smile (played anonymously) Topic Starter

JayBird wrote:
I just spent a good hour and a half thinking up and writing out, in great detail, a species idea for you. Then I hit 'go' in the wrong window while looking up polydactyly, and lost every single melon farming gottverdamnt bit of it.

I'll try again later if I calm down.

Sorry for the language.

Woah, that sucks! o.O Take your time, I appreciate the effort no matter what!
Alright, my second try.

The Starlings.
Starlings began as a sub-culture of humans who ran ships across the cosmos, but rarely, if ever, went planetside, preferring the freedom of space. As time passed and generations of Starlings met, married, and reproduced, speciation began to occur, in conjunction with the higher than average doses of varying types of cosmic and solar radiation along with the demands their space faring environments, and the Starlings gained distance from humans.
The first notable change was within the first few generations. It was noticed that Starling children were highly intuitive, becoming adept at the matters of piloting, maintenance, and navigation within the void of space, and now an estimated ninety-five percent of the species has this ability, though most commonly there is some form of specialization from individual to individual.
Physically, the Starlings have become much farther differentiated from the human race than they have mentally. Skin tones have homogenized into a medium caramel color, with their torsos having become more compact and slimmer, while arms and legs have lengthened out. In addition, polydactyly, or extra digits, has been a growing trend for two generations. This combined with an mild lengthening of the fingers, and a much greater lengthening of the toes along with a shortening of the mid-foot, has been attributed to the need for a greater grasping ability upon their ships. Heightened dexterity and double joints are also a Starling traits, with many of the more flexible members of the species able to use their feet almost as effectively as their hands. Weaker in musculature than humans due to the effects of lowered gravity, Starlings also have thicker skins and stronger bones, and both use less oxygen and can hold their breath for longer than humans, ensuring much better survival rates should ship-board calamities occur, though in standard gravity, they tend to tire much more easily. The faces of Starlings reflect their evolution as well, with noses and ears minimizing with further generations, and their eyes more than doubling in size, with enormous irises that provide excellent sight in both low and high light environments, and even providing reasonable protection from unfiltered solar light.
Socially and culturally, the Starling tend to be very open, happy to share the endless space with all those who occupy it, and they have been known to set planetside for brief periods of time to conduct business. 'Slim' and 'Slims' are slang terms for the Starling, and even ones that they use themselves, but the use of the term 'Rag' is considered a racial slur, originating from the belief that they are a 'scrap' of humanity, as well as the observation that they tend to 'fold up like rags' when thrown by larger assailants, due to the flexible and double jointed nature of their bodies.

Woohoo! And I didn't even mess it up this time.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Playable races ideas

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus