Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Ideas (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Gonna go ahead and say it now: I would prefer these RPs to be 1x1! I'm not in any position to GM an entire group of players right now, especially since said GMing often devolves into "babysitting". I wouldn't mind a casual little group RP, but I suspect it won't go anywhere without a GM... and I'm not about to go through that lovely experience again. :P

I'd be happy to hear other ideas too, but I'm often browsing for anything matching my interests. So far, no dice. For those of you capable of enjoying almost any genre, good for you! I'm like a fish out of water when participating in unfamiliar genres. Worse still, my level of writing proficiency is directly proportional to how immersed I can stay in a story; and anything I don't understand, or otherwise seems a bit "OP", impacts that immersion way too often.

Feel free to skim through this thread for more specific plot/scenario ideas. They're only meant to be plot-starters, so we can work out the details and such over time! Also, your character can have a significant impact on the direction of a story or the fate of my characters. Just recently had an unexpected development in SotE, and I'm seeing it through to whatever end it might bring.

If you want to know about me or my preferences, my profile is open to all! ^_^

Now, on to the first three ideas. I'll probably post up some plot ideas every day I have free time.

1. The Nasirian Knights. Genre: Low Fantasy, later bordering on High Fantasy.
See more
Meant to be an adventurous foray into a medieval setting without strong magic, this idea came about as a result of many inspirations. It started as a Furcadia-based group and sort of evolved from there. The basic premise is player characters would form part of an "organization" called the Nasirian Knights, whose job is to unite the nation of Nasiria (then separated into many dynasties fighting for power) in order to meet an unknown threat to the world in the future. Ironically, the Knights themselves are divided into four orders, each with completely different ideas on how to accomplish this goal.

This idea would implement a fairly unique idea: starting off in a world without magic, but slowly introducing said magic over a long course of time. By the point magic plays a major role, our characters would be quite old. That's another theme too, by the way: growing up and facing a world that's swiftly changing around you. Players would also create these characters' younger descendants or successors to highlight the contrast between the old and the new.

Just a quick summary of the four orders, each with a different stylized focus:
First Order - Action-Adventure & Military Fiction
Second Order - Fantasy Quests & Exploration
Third Order - Political Intrigue & Thriller Fiction
Fourth Order - Science Fantasy & Mystery Fiction

2. Shadow of the Eclipse. Genre: Adventure-Social Science Fiction (with a few Fantasy elements as in most Sci-Fi settings) OR Multi-Genre.

See more
When I posted it here in its present form with Jerome, I had the idea of developing at least one of the many different realities this continuity would involve. Y-001 (or Y-003; not really settled on which one just yet) is a reality of this continuity which falls in the nanopunk category, with strong Deus Ex undertones and a similar theme. An interesting point was to show how technology could go /right/ despite human flaws. Lots of paranoia and intrigue help illustrate how a fanatical refusal to break with tradition can cause more harm than good, although excessive openness leads to equally harmful consequences.

Originally, this continuity involved a concept very loosely based off of Sliders. Player characters would start in one of 45 different realities (alternate versions of the same world where events happened differently) and find themselves waking up after a global catastrophe which split the world into "fractures" - pieces of all 45 realities. While dealing with each others' differences, the people of these realities try and solve what caused the problem and how to return things to normal. This concept could involve lots of adventure and plenty of opportunities for character development and world building in equal shares. To be fair, I tried to encompass as many genres as possible by having different realities embody different genres.

The difference with most "multiverse" RPs, however, is that this involves /realities/. So instead of separate worlds entirely, these "universes" are all meant to clearly be alternate versions of each other. My decision to only develop one of these at a time was to develop the settings more intently. I still plan on bringing in plots that take place in only one reality at a time though... and they won't all be tech noir!

It's also sort of tied in to the Nasirian Knights continuity, but I won't spoil the details. ;P

3. Project Oneiroi. Genre: Science Fantasy.

See more
This one is highly metaphysical and extremely philosophical. Those are probably the reasons it didn't get much attention when I first created it. The whole concept revolves around the questions religion has been trying to answer for millennia. What is the nature of the universe? Why are we here? How do we define "me"? Am I the body, brain, soul... emotions, memories, personality, or none of the above? Oneiroi makes use of ideas stemming from various philosophies and a few religions to try and 'answer' those questions - for our characters at least!

Making use of some aspects of other continuities seen on TV or in video games, this setting puts player characters into a unique position: as the players themselves. Project Oneiroi involves the use of a device developed from research conducted by a rival of the DHARMA Initiative and mixes in elements of Assassin's Creed's Abstergo, Deus Ex's Sarif Industries, and Stargate SG-1's National Intelligence Division. This device, like the animus, taps into a user's mind and fills them with the experiences of another character. But instead of reading genetic memory, users experience life in another character whose "realness" is questionable - an avatar of sorts. However, PCs don't control these avatars directly, nor can they really communicate with them... at first. There's a massive conspiracy tied in with all the continuities I mentioned, and player characters will be drawn into it over time.

There's also quite a few other "projects" tied together with Oneiroi, including Project Sacrament, which works closely with Area 51 and the SCP Foundation. Another interesting one is Project Tartarus, which involves a darker take on the Kingdom Hearts universe. I even worked on a wiki written from an in-universe perspective for this one, though it hasn't been updated or worked on in quite a while.

4. Truth & Void. Genre: All of the above + Crossover-Fandom.

See more
It starts at the beginning of the universe, when everything was being formed. Nobody "today" realizes it, but there was a reason for it: the machinations of Corona, who lacks either a singular or multitudinous presence, in a struggle with the latent Omega Continuum. Upon the exile of Corona to the expanse between galaxies, it/they merge with the Route of Ages to form the Abyss (Andromeda) and create offspring which manipulate events to some ultimate end known to some as the "Shade". Meanwhile, the first of the Alterans (Stargate) evolves, and the rest... is history. The actual RP may start with the ronay civilization of Garternay (Myst/Riven), but there's more potential starting points than that!

Nobody has to know all of the continuities used, but you might need a broad set of interests! (:P)

There's a massive number of continuities which are involved, but here's the ones it's got so far: Andromeda, bits of Star Trek (TNG/DS9/VOY), Stargate (SG1/ATL), Myst, bits of Babylon 5, a darker twist on Pokemon, Mass Effect, Haruhi Suzumiya, X-COM, Independence Day, Hyrule Total War (darker Legend of Zelda), Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, Kingdom Hearts, Fable (wiki), Assassin's Creed, Alien vs. Predator, Lord of the Rings, and more...

More information can be found here, though at the moment, it only describes a hub universe and a few other things.
I'm actually interested in the third one. And, given my own perspective on it, I think it'd be neat.
Mythic Topic Starter

Would you like to give it a try? Do you have any characters you'd like to use?

The third idea can potentially begin almost anywhere. I used to set it in a college setting, but if you've got any other ideas, feel free to share! I'm open to almost any locale, provided we can make sense of how "Project Oneiroi" would be there. :)
Hm, in a college setting I could modify Jet and do an AU of her for it. I have yet to add most of my characters to RPR, as I only have Luna, Jet, and Lynn. If you think either of the other two are more qualified, then I'd be fine with using them.
Mythic Topic Starter

I looked over Jet's profile, and I think she'd be perfect for it! The ones responsible for Oneiroi at the college run a unique fraternity (sex/gender not an issue) that takes in students believed unlikely to succeed in "scholastic" endeavors. I've yet to post up a profile for one of my characters in the setting, but even each of them are, more-or-less, social outcasts. Before we start, I'll be sure to send you the link to one of their profiles and we can get started whenever you're ready! If you have any questions, just ask; as I said in the OP, there's a wiki with more information on the setting that I can "unlock" and send you the link to should you want to have a look.

Would you prefer RP via PM or in a thread? If you have no particular preference, may I suggest PM? Notifications about new messages appearing in the top right corner of the site make it easier to keep track of those RPs. But if you're more comfortable with a thread, we'll go with that and I'll do my best to check in as often as possible. ^^;
I'm completely fine with PM, if anything, that's what I would have suggested anyways, lel. And, as of now, I don't think I really have many if any questions, so, I'll just be waiting on the link(s).
Mythic Topic Starter

So I did a bit more work, and the Nasirian Knights now has at least four "introductory" scenarios - any of which can be chosen and RPed by anyone interested. Furthermore, Project Oneiroi's been expanded to include a revamp of an older site with plenty of extra information... including a summary page for anyone interested. Finally, Shadow of the Eclipse's Y-001 setting is finished, and I'll be posting up a list of several possible "realities" at some point tomorrow.

All three ideas involve equal amounts of character development and plot progression. As far as I'm concerned, continuities like the Mass Effect series did it rather well, as did several ancient literary epics (I'm looking at you, Aeneid).

I'm a "biographer" type of roleplayer. Having an overarching plot that stands on its own, yet can be equally affected by character development, is paramount to me. So if that description (click on the link) sounds like it describes you too, we already share a lot in common. <g>
TheHero1208

You know, these ideas sound great. Each one of them with a greater plot. It gets me excited.
Mythic Topic Starter

TheHero1208 wrote:
You know, these ideas sound great. Each one of them with a greater plot. It gets me excited.
Perhaps you'd like to roleplay with one of them then? ^^;

There's a lot of potential plots/scenarios to choose from, but I'm just as happy developing one with other players! If you've got any ideas you'd like to share, then by all means! If not, it's no problem: ideas come and go, and we could always start with whatever ideas I've left sitting on the shelf waiting for the right scribe to come along and add to them.
Mythic Topic Starter

Although Project Oneiroi is more the type of RP with a serialized plot that lacks any specific scenarios at the beginning, I felt it worth mentioning that there is a plot. Compared to the other ideas though, it may move at a slower pace and involve way more mystery. Strangely though, it's also relatively popular, or so I'm learning. With that being the case, I should bring this up now:

Oneiroi itself is meant to be a "first stop", but it has a rather involved plot surrounding it too. Much of said plot involves character establishment and development first and foremost, with the mystery being a certain extension of that. After your character "graduates" from Oneiroi, they could get an assignment in any of the other projects... or even end up working with the enemy. Either way, it's a long-term RP without a shadow of a doubt, so don't apply if you're looking for a quick scene or a single scenario/plot to roleplay in the course of a month or two. It may take a bit longer than that to really get into the conspiracy at the heart of the project!

Oh yeah, and all these continuities are somewhat related, so if you like them all, you may get a very unique experience involving all of them. x3
Mythic Topic Starter

As I promised to myself earlier, I've finished four good starting plots for each of the Orders in the Nasirian Knights!
Just to clear this up: I'd be happy to work together with other players on a plot involving their own characters. These scenarios I'm designing are meant to give some ideas to work with... not to force players into them.

So here's a few short summaries of all the scenarios so far. And yes, I mean short summaries. If you want more details, you gotta look here for more information. ;)

In the Wake of a Titan - A land torn apart by civil war. Characters choose sides or fight for themselves.

Fides Exitialis - Refugees are forced from their homes and flee to a city that refuses to take them in.

The King's Folly - A prince is dead, a tyrant's on the throne, and the king he replaced is alive and insane.

When the Spirits Wept - Warriors try to avenge the deaths of their comrades by capturing a "holy" city.

A Crimson Symphony - The First Order fight the descendants of a former Knight from centuries ago.

Latent Truths - The Second Order go on a quest to find an artifact deep beneath a cursed lake.

Oath of Honor - The Third Order decide whether or not to betray a city so they can control it.

Blood Ties - The Fourth Order search for a descendant of an Ancient before another finds them.
Mythic Topic Starter

Aw, no takers? How could anyone say no to this face??

I actually thought the plot of the Fourth Order (Blood Ties) would be a favorite here on the Repository. From what I've experienced here so far, a lot of players like the idea of having their character play a central role from the get-go. Furthermore, a mystery with future magical implications seems just the thing for Fantasy players who'd like to try something a little different! ^^;
Mythic Topic Starter

Hmm, looks like I'll have to pull out the big guns... but since those haven't been invented in medieval Nasiria yet...
See more
TheLongbow-720x340.jpg

Have at you!

To be fair, nobody has to play as a Nasirian or a kehlan. Sure, humans will have it a bit more difficult, but that's just part of the challenge! Plus, you could have a Crusader, a mercenary, a pirate or Norse raider... sky's the limit! Although a flying bat-creature is out of the question. XD

I guess it might not be as interesting to some because of a lack of mages or paladins. In a way, I'm actually looking forward to bringing magic in, but I enjoy the process of building up to it! It's a shame not many share that opinion. Guess that includes mythological creatures like the rare fan of Low Fantasy.

All the more reason the arrival of usable magic isn't exactly going to solve all the world's problems. :P
That's a lot of good stuff to read! I've only glanced it over, but I just wanted to express my interest. Don't give up home, Subject! This is great story stuff you've got here.

I personally don't mind being not!the center of the story at the getgo. Honestly, you seem an engrossing writer, so I doubt I could go wrong leaving it to your discretion which way the cookie crumbles.

Anyway, between my college finals, I'll be reading this Nasiria Knights rp resource happily. :)
Mythic Topic Starter

Thank you! That's a relief to know. I understand it's finals week (or last month of the semester) for a lot of people, but I figured there was no harm in testing the waters early anyway. Had a lot of inspiration for it lately too. Actually, I have Loreena McKennitt to thank for some of it. :)

If you ever want to give RP a go, please let me know! In stark contrast to a lot of people this month, I've got more than enough time to work on this. Actually, I may post another scenario idea or two I cooked up recently, and then we'll really see which way the cookie crumbles.

Oh, and I just took a look at your profile. It looks like you and I have similar preferences! :3
Mythic Topic Starter

So it's probably about time I posted about Shadow of the Eclipse, huh? Well here are two ideas I've had rolling around in my head. They both take place in Y-001, a tech noir setting with strong socio-political themes about technology, fears of the unknown, and how far one's loyalties can be stretched.

Change of Heart -
See more
Jerome investigates the mysterious disappearance of the RBI (Royal Bureau of Investigation) attorney general (possibly the other player's character) from a local hospital after the latter had been injured in an explosion. As it turns out, the attorney general had defected to NET - a group who wants to force the government of Ingria to permit their research into cybernetics. Why the general turned and how this affects duty-minded Jerome are the main themes.

Pandora's Box -

See more
Jerome's adopted daughter, Sadinia Pandora, is found to be dying of an injury that can only be cured with illegal cybernetics. Now he's forced to commit treason if he wants to save her life, following in the attorney general's footsteps and defecting to NET. The other player might play the role of an agent sent to stop him after he goes missing, and/or they could play the role of the NET operative sent to help Jerome get Sadinia to safety. Basically the same as above, but with roles reversed.

As for the Nasirian Knights, I've got two new story ideas! If you want to read more in-depth summaries, just visit this page to find out more. ^^

House of the Great Light -
The Fourth Order travel to the past (ancient Babylon) to rescue an oracle from a deranged "goddess".

Death Upon Her Lips -
The First and Third Orders support opposing sides in a war to control the citadel at Hureikhursa.

Also, I can say I have ideas for Project Oneiroi too, but since the whole point of that RP is the mystery and conspiracy, I fear it may remove some of the suspense if I gave away too much! Let's just say that after our characters get situated in the project, they'll wake up one morning strapped to a chair being interrogated by someone they don't recognize. The plot will invariably get stronger by then. x3
Mythic Topic Starter

I figured I would hold off on bringing this up again until January, when everyone should be free from their final exams and holiday obligations, but I decided there's no real harm in just pointing it out now.

I've got enough time to dedicate to quite a few extra RPs. I've only got one going that's getting posts every day; the rest are pretty much once-a-week affairs, with one or two fairly inconsistent ones. :P
Mythic Topic Starter

I'm just going to leave this here. ´・ω・`

Truth & Void - Massive crossover "fanfic" continuity with lots of in-depth lore and existential themes. Includes a lot of sci-fi and fantasy continuities alike, and many different storylines!
See more
It starts at the beginning of the universe, when everything was being formed. Nobody "today" realizes it, but there was a reason for it: the machinations of Corona, who lacks either a singular or multitudinous presence, in a struggle with the latent Omega Continuum. Upon the exile of Corona to the expanse between galaxies, it/they merge with the Route of Ages to form the Abyss (Andromeda) and create offspring which manipulate events to some ultimate end known to some as the "Shade". Meanwhile, the first of the Alterans (Stargate) evolves, and the rest... is history. The actual RP may start with the ronay civilization of Garternay (Myst/Riven), but there's more potential starting points than that! Characters may have a plot arc, but don't expect any long-term usage of any single character.

The Gates of Troy - Alternate history of Troy's survival with the help of certain "mythological figures". Expect to see both history and mythology mixed together in a relatively low fantasy setting!

See more
The idea is that certain "mystic" figures on Earth, who would also exist in the above continuity, manipulate events to a certain end. It begins with the revolution against the Goa'uld in ~3000 BCE (Stargate) and sort of picks up from there. By the end of the Bronze Age in Anatolia, Troy will resist the Greek invasion and begin a new legend that gives rise to a completely different world by the modern day. Take on the roles of the mythical figures themselves... but don't be surprised if history doesn't agree with the myth! The actual timeline it currently has juxtaposes historical and mythological accounts that often disagree, but maybe the stories are best told by the ones who experienced them? May have the usual intrigue/mystery/adventure format I enjoy. :3

We'll return to your regular, unscheduled programming after life actually lets me sit down. ^^;
Mythic Topic Starter

Right, so it's about time I hopped back into writing some potential plots for all you lovelies out there!
And yes, that includes me. ^_^ Right? ... No? Oh, okay. :blue:

For the Nasirian Knights today, I have one new quest for the Fourth Order. Expect lots of mystery, conspiracy, and general noir stuff in a low fantasy setting!

The Horde - The Fourth Order journeys across the tundra and plains of Imagria to investigate an empire of "devil's horsemen" far to the west, who may know more about the Ancients than they let on. But the Knights must face off against an organization that wants to keep this knowledge a secret by foiling their investigation at every turn. And they're not beyond silencing the investigators either...
See more
Rumors of a vast and powerful inland empire beyond the western borders of Imagria keep many Nasirian merchants from traveling so far over land. But that didn't stop one merchant who, secretly encouraged by a human friend, traveled west to Rothgaard... only to acquire a scale vest a Rothgaardian raider had "appropriated" from one of the empire's powerful nobles. The Fourth Order quickly caught wind of this when the merchant brought the vest back to Nasiria upon some tragic news regarding their family. As it turned out, the vest was made of the scales of a long-extinct sub-species of kehlan. Now when the Knights return with the merchant to the heart of Imagria, they will find a startling truth about the Horde. Yet when one of them tries to tell the Great Khan the truth, the Order finds itself a target of the Imperial Censorate... who know more than they let on.
SubjectHazard wrote:
Oh, and I just took a look at your profile. It looks like you and I have similar preferences! :3

Haha, glad to hear it! :3

After reading through your RP a bit, I've grown fond of the idea of playing a Crusader captured by and hostage for the Nasirian knights. It would be fun to incorporate someone like that into the Third Order's first plot, where they have to retake a city. Bargaining chips and torturing for intrigue, some kind of poison that forces the Crusader's cooperation, stuff like that would be fun to write, or so I think x)

Also, provided you think the idea works in accordance with your world, mind if I try reaching out to some folks to see if they'd be up for tagging along such an adventure?

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Ideas (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus