Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Mass Effect Controversy

Kim wrote:
What's wrong with offering a game for free and making your money off cosmetic upgrades that have no real effect on gameplay? That, to me, sounds like an overwhelmingly generous, fair and trusting business model.

I just got the first mass effect game (Thanks Darth!), so I imagine by the time I know what you guys are talking about, we'll all be old and grey with grandchildren frolicking around our cyborg knees. ;)

There's nothing wrong with that. Games like league that are free and have micro-transactions for cosmetic or an easier way to buy stuff without in game currency are the model of the future. They make a lot of money for a free games, billions I believe.

I've spent probably 200 on League of Legends even though it's a free game, but I've played it for over a year and a half. How long does a 50 dollar game usually last you? For me, it is usually around a week or so.
CavalierCadaver Topic Starter

That's why services like GameFly are so useful. I only pay the full price of a game if I know its really worth it. Just Cause 2? I'd buy that (though I did get it for only 20). Skyrim? Done. Fallout 3? Absolutely. Mass Effect? You know it. I'll also buy the game if I support the series or the developers have a special place in my heart.

The whole idea behind buying a game full price now rests solely on the amount of content that can be gleaned from it. This concept is drawing a thicker line between indie/smalltime developers and huge, triple A titles, and indeed gives smaller teams the advantage. There are likely small teams of developers that could easily remake their own Modern Warfare, and there are several that have. However, could a small team build a game like Skyrim? For now, absolutely not.

The more companies rely on DLC to further their products, the more they're going to hurt themselves in the long run.
Kim Site Admin

Belial wrote:
How long does a 50 dollar game usually last you? For me, it is usually around a week or so.

Historically, 6 months to 2 years. :)
Minerva

free games, dlc all they want. I'm not habing to ourchase the product. My discussion of price has nothing to do with the game era, the only time era was mentioned was acceptibility of company behavior. Oh... and gamefly will go out of business if microsoft has its way, unless they cut a massive deal. Microsoft rental would be the only way to go. :/
Honestly I don't see to much of a problem with the ending in Mass Effect. I enjoyed the way they made it out like a story after the credits and Im interested in where it could be taken if they decide to do more with it.

As for DLC I don't have internet for the xbox, I got a sprint broadband wireless card so I can't do much for xbox dlc except every half year give or take a couple months but I see no problem with having DLC charged for so it doesn't really affect me to much. If you were the ones making DLC you would charge as well otherwise you wouldn't make anything (Assuming there is nothing for just doing it) And that would put a lot of people out of business as well or close down. I agree with Darth that some is way to overpriced but its still not going to stop you from getting it if you want it. So unless everyone in the world just stops getting the DLCs the companies won't do anything to change prices or how things roll out.

And if you like the game, the game series, or the publisher then your not going to even sweat at the price of the game or dlc, or as Minerva pointed out the thought of chapters being rolled out. Poor, rich, middle class your going to find a way to buy the game no matter what and though you may complain a bit your still going to get it. So why even bother acting outraged when your likely not going to do anything about it?

And Kim nothing really wrong with that, but still if its free, why would I want to, or why should I have to pay for cosmetic upgrades when it should be "Free"? That is not a free game then in my opinion.

And for a parting remark, I do find it interesting how it went from Mass Effect to video game industries in just a few posts xD.
Kim Site Admin

silver_wolf98 wrote:
And Kim nothing really wrong with that, but still if its free, why would I want to, or why should I have to pay for cosmetic upgrades when it should be "Free"? That is not a free game then in my opinion.

You don't have to. That's the point. The GAME is free. All the gameplay, all the mechanics, all the fun, is free. But it takes months, if not years, of full time work by at least one person but more often a fairly large team to create a game. These people can't keep making games of any variety without some kind of income. If you want to contribute to them continuing to improve the game you love, or them to ever to make more games for you to have fun with, then you might consider donating -- and as a reward you get a cosmetic upgrade which doesn't change the game at all. It doesn't change how fun it is. It just lets people know that you are a generous person and that the game's creators appreciate your help. I don't think any argument can be made to say that makes it not free. You can always choose not to bother.

Now, if it was free except you couldn't fight the last boss without paying, that would make it not free. But stuff that is completely optional, doesn't change gameplay and doesn't give you any advantages? Naw. That game is free unless you decide you don't want it to be free. In other words, if you decide to donate.
Kim Site Admin

silver_wolf98 wrote:
And for a parting remark, I do find it interesting how it went from Mass Effect to video game industries in just a few posts xD.

You're right. I'll recuse myself from the topic since I'm too tempted to get off topic. I'm pretty interested in the concept of freemium.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Going back to the original subject of Mass Effect 3's ending. It seems that only two people worked on the last mission and ending, not the entire writing team that developed the rest of the game.

Link

I wish I knew what had motivated that line of thought because what this guy describes as what he wanted for the end sounds fantastic.
CavalierCadaver Topic Starter

Thank you kindly for that link. I had deduced that their were development problems; that I appear to be correct does not surprise me. Either the writing team had issues, or they needed more time and just weren't given it.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Mass Effect Controversy

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus