Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Question to fellow cat owners

Okay guys, well fellow cat owners....my cat Merlin is acting really strange. He's been under our bed lately, barely comes out to eat or drink, he's belly and sides are as hard as a rock (typically he is fat and squishy)...and I'm pretty positive that he's not making use of his litter box...

I'm not sure if this is because he's sick or it's because his bother is always beating up on him.

Any advice or suggestions?
I've never had this with my cats before, but it sounds to me like he's sick. My cats beat up on each other all the time and they're not like that.

How old is Merlin?
I think he may be clogged up. Get him checked out.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Cele he's two. And his brother is actually his brother, they were litter mates.

And Lance I hope that we can afford to get him to the vet :(.

I had a previous cat that did this once I moved out of my parents. I wasn't around when he got sick, or when he passed...but my momma says this sounds very similar to what my other cat went through and if it is the same thing...well he's best put down :(
Awwww. :( That's so sad. He's really really young. Just try to get him checked out and see what the vet recommends.
Hope you won't have to put him down :(
Sanne Moderator

Try to change the kibble he's eating, or switch to a different wet food. Feed him sardines with a lot of olive, sunflower or another kind of oil. If his belly is hard and he's not using the litterbox, it sounds like he's clogged up.

Sometimes feeding them milk or cheese helps too, but cats tend to get the runs from this because most of them are lactose intolerant.

If this is something that seems to happen more frequently, check what your cats are eating. Some brands of kibble, even expensive ones, aren't very good for cats. Sometimes they may try to eat small plastic things around the house.

(The sardines in oil are great for hairballs by the way.)
If it's been more than say, four days, and you're positive he hasn't used the litter box, take him to a vet.
If it has only been, say two days, I'd do exactly what Sanne has been suggesting. My cat had stomach issues (though he was still eating, he'd vomit it back up) and he was incredibly bloated due to really, really bad gas build up that made him feel less squishy than normal.
There is no real way to tell exactly whats wrong, if he's just clogged due to an issue with the food (low quality food can be an issue, I feed my cat Blue Buffalo though it's a bit more expensive) that's easily resolved. There is a small chance he could have eaten something he shouldn't have (my cat ate the plastic tear away off the milk carton, taking him to the emergency vet was a horrible experience but after tons of XRays, IVs and pepcid, he passed it on his own. We were lucky!)

If you can, make an appointment with your vet now and do what Sanne suggests. You can easily cancel at any time but it gives you time to try out easier/cheaper alternatives and is a fall back so you don't have to go to an emergency vet. (We had to and the appointment alone cost us $250 where at our regular vet it was $30.)

If you think he might be having behaviour issues do to his brother beating him up, maybe try seperating them while you try to feed him alternatives? You could also do a second litter box and keep him in another room so you are sure whether or not he is using the litterbox. Little to no bowel movements over a few days can be a big issue. Either way, consult your vet as they are the professionals, even if it is just calling them and talking to the vet assistant about his symptoms.
Minerva

Sounds like what happened to Britches. Like others have said, if he really isn't going at all, he's probably clogged up. Britches died of an impacted colon from it, so be vigilant, and alert.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Thank you to every one and their lovely advice, and well wishes. :) Merlin seems to be recovering nicely, and yes he has finally used the washroom. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him, but I've had someone contact me. They're looking for a cat (and due to the issues Merlin and his brother Chaos have been having, and Merlin's jealousy issues towards my son we've been looking for a home for him). I won't be letting the cat go until I know he's bounced back to his old self, but a loving couple with out any children is waiting for him <3 that news made my day.

and because I never provided pics of him first one is big merlin, recently taken and the second is him as a kitten (little ball of furr <3)

merlin2.jpg

merlin.jpg
Nikina used MERLIN PICTURES!

It's super effective!

Bonebag's heart fainted...
Pineapple Topic Starter

Bonebag wrote:

It's super effective!

LOL! He's defiantly a cutie, the kitten pic is my fave :D
Bonebag wrote:

It's super effective!

So did Ebs'...

OMG adorable much? I am glad his tum tum is better and you have found a nice new home for him. <3
I'm glad he got better. It sounds like a problem I had with Raikov and Volgin. I started them on a raw chicken diet and they were pleased and grumpy-free ever since.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Yes Merlin is doing good. I'm hoping to get him moved to his new home soon, and that will leave us with Chaos, his brother. Thankfully chaos has no jealousy issues regarding my two year old, and I've never seen the cat raise a claw to R.J. This cat puts up with it all. Hence his nickname Sunny Muffins. If you've see the robot chicken sketch featuring Sunny Muffins you'll know what I mean :)
Like merlin's pics the newest one is first

bajachristmas001.jpg

chaos.jpg

OH! he's a great lol cat too!

assorted05010.jpg
I know I'm a little late to the thread- I haven't been around very much lately. But, I'm so glad to hear that your kitty is doing better! We've actually got 9 (yes, nine) outdoor cats ( I live in the country, so it just sort of happened). Well, more than 9- one of them just had kittens, though we haven't seen the litter yet, so we aren't sure how many, and I think two more of them are pregnant... ugh. Too many kitties- if any of you are local-ish and are looking for a kitty, I've got some great ones... LOL! Though, they will ALL be spayed and neutered this season as soon as the litters are weaned and the such, because my neighbors probably think that we are crazy cat people. ANYWAY- with so many kitties, and them all being outdoor cats, it seems like I'm always caring for one or taking one to the vet for something or another, and I absolutely HATE when my cats aren't well, or one goes missing, or worse. So, I am SUPER glad that he's feeling better!
Pineapple Topic Starter

Thanks Cassie :D!! my goodness 9! and some of them are pregnant, ohhhh lots of fuzzy cuteness will be appearing soon :)! hehe I love kittens, and if cats stayed that size and cuteness forever I'd be over run by kittens XD but they grow, so we only had Merlin and Chaos, and Merlin went to his new home this weekend, thus far they say he's doing well.

Chaos is a little depressed but he seems to be coming around, he's much more sociable now, he actually goes to my hubby to be petted now. Before he avoided mike like the plague, only suffering through R.J.'s enthusiastic petting and coming to me for snuggles.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Question to fellow cat owners

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus